It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Solution To Police Shenanigans:

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I see a couple of issues with this. The first is that police work is actually pretty boring stuff. The ones that would be popular are the cops that are constantly doing things. Pulling over every car, investigating a house, and all the rest. If you think quotas are bad now, think about the effective quota system when you're trying to keep the action going for people that have an average attention span of 11 seconds.

Next, I feel that this creates an unfair situation in the courtroom. A police officer can already testify and their word is held on par with your own counter evidence. What happens when the office who is a known and popular streamer is now also backed by his celebrity? Keeping in mind the above paragraph that celebrity is built through action against everyone you see.

We'll have a group of cops, bringing the largest number of people to court, with an air of celebrity around them which makes fighting the charge more difficult, while those very circumstances make the charge the least likely to hold up in court.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

So I would never have the option of turning my camera off?

I can no longer have privacy when I use the restroom?

I can no longer enjoy my lunch knowing people are watching me eat.

What about when I am on the phone with my fiancee telling her goodnight as I go in service for my midnight shift?

As a police officer those are things that I should still have privacy for.

What about when I am interviewing a 8 year old that was just molested?

What about when I am examining the body of an elderly man for signs of trauma that died?

What about when a suicidal person completes the act in front of me?

This is live stream right?

The police are not the only problem. We need a complete cultural shift in America.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Police fans.......OK OP you have lost it. Ya the police are not corrupt enough lets make them celebrities. Maybe we should fix the root problems instead of talking about the symptoms.

What are the root problems you ask..........The police force is a for profit company.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

I like the idea. But, what happens when the officer has just eaten a big Chinese dinner. He is going to need some alone time in the bathroom. How do you differentiate between "down time" and cutting the camera off for bad reasons?

On the backlash side, they should have no problem with it. If you aren't doing anything wrong, you should have nothing to worry about.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
Seems like a solid plan..

Now what's your plan for criminal shenanigans?

A public spanking in the town square,

Peace

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Well, we could allow the cameras to be turned off, but any testimony from events while they're off, or evidence obtained while they're off is inadmissible in court.

And no, I don't agree with the live streaming. Cameras are good and they provide a record but that record doesn't need to goto youtube.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

So I would never have the option of turning my camera off?

I can no longer have privacy when I use the restroom?

I can no longer enjoy my lunch knowing people are watching me eat.

What about when I am on the phone with my fiancee telling her goodnight as I go in service for my midnight shift?

As a police officer those are things that I should still have privacy for.

What about when I am interviewing a 8 year old that was just molested?

What about when I am examining the body of an elderly man for signs of trauma that died?

What about when a suicidal person completes the act in front of me?

This is live stream right?

The police are not the only problem. We need a complete cultural shift in America.

No, the live stream would be an opt-in by the officer. If he or she didn't want to participate in the program, all of the footage would simply be archived and only accessed by a court order for investigations or perhaps even by the officers themselves.

If you have hang-ups about being live streamed (which is totally understandable), you wouldn't have to participate but at least there would be an archive to protect not only the citizens but also yourself. That aspect will eventually happen, anyway... so this is a way to utilize it for a good cause (not to mention a revenue stream for the departments). Could you imagine how many donations an officer's family would get if he or she were injured or killed in the line of duty?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I have no problem wearing a body camera.

I have a problem with live streaming and not being able to turn it off during certain situations.

If I opted not to participate in live streaming I would most likely be accused of "having something to hide," or being corrupt.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

I have no problem wearing a body camera.

I have a problem with live streaming and not being able to turn it off during certain situations.

If I opted not to participate in live streaming I would most likely be accused of "having something to hide," or being corrupt.

I don't think accusations would fly around because I don't think the majority of the officers would opt-in. If you happened to be the only one who refused, maybe people would get suspicious but I suspect there would only be a few participants from each department. That's all it would really need to be effective on a revenue level.

The ones who don't participate could still have a public profile with the program and receive feedback from non-paying subscribers but they won't be live streamed.

It wouldn't do the program very much good to strong-arm or otherwise pressure the officers to participate because, by only using incentives as leverage, it will naturally attract those who would attract subscribers. Having officers reluctantly go about their business feeling awkward and bitter about being on camera won't do anybody any good at all.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

The only way to end police Shenanigans is to fire all Irish cops.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

The only way to end police Shenanigans is to fire all Irish cops.

I thought you were just being racist at first and then I was all "oooooh, I get it..."

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join