It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I chose to delete my facebook

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: clearmind

Fb has admitted to manipulating the feeds you see on your news feed in order to manipulate your views and responses.

All media do that, all the time. It's how they obtain demographic and psychographic information for their advertisers.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory, Nyiah

Facebook is not to blame for a person's friends and relatives.

a reply to pikestaff, a reply to: sharkman

Or for their not having any.

edit on 18/3/15 by Astyanax because: it's all the same, anyway.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I agree, long term conditioning is to blame.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight
a reply to: clearmind

ATS is my only source of social interaction. No Facebook, Tweeter, ICQ, AOL, etc. My other social interaction is going to TACO BELL for a encharido.

Cheers to that bro.
I have a very small presence in an IOS game forum, & used to have a much larger one on a previous IOS game forum (one where I often expressed the exact same views as I do on ATS, but as a P2W (pay to win) player. I thoroughly enjoy talking about how I can spend $1000s on a phone game because I believe the debt based economy & society are on the verge of total collapse.

I don't know if you're familiar with my posting history or the types of reactions my views usually get, but let's just say that by comparison, the members of ATS consider me a god.

Those 12 year olds REALLY hate me on that forum.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: scolai

But I absolutely agree with you. The focus is the almighty "me". "I" want to share "my" every thought to "my" friends.

Yep. Immediately after I quit I recall wanting to post something extremely mundane about myself or what I was doing or feeling one day. I immediately thought, "Wait, so what? Who cares and why do I even want to post this? Is this what I've been doing?" Because it's a focus on "me" and not what others might want to hear or read.

We want people to read our thoughts, our feelings. We want people to make us feel better about ourselves, and we use social media to try to accomplish this. ATS is no different in many aspects: what I can post to gain stars, or replies, or stir controversy. Again, it's about "me" to many people.

I deleted my Facebook for different reasons. It only took me a couple of day before I did not miss it at all. Once, a few months later I reactivated it just to see, and after less than a day I hated it so much I re-deactivated it. Haven't been back in two years.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I deleted my Facebook account. I'd spent so much time on it, and without quite realising at the time, I'd become addicted to it and I will admit, some real relationships suffered because of it. I deleted my account and it was like becoming sober for the first time in ages. I look back and think, "Was that really me? Did that crap really feel so important?"

I look back and am embarrassed. I can't believe I was so hooked. I hate it and will never open another account.
edit on 18-3-2015 by AlmostRosey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

A God, huh? Then you should already know I am not a "bro" but wear a bra...

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Women can like encharidos at Taco Bell, as well. It's good you got your walk on and out of your recliner - lose some extra baggage. jk jk

Anyways, another thing about Facebook - if you don't log in for a while - it sends essentially desperate emails to you twice or more a day telling you "what you've missed" since you last logged on. The whole programming of it all is set up to keep people hooked in and logging on multiple times a day. I'd say that it has served its purpose to a certain extent, but overall I think it has deleterious effects on real social interactions and devalues existence by oversaturating people with constant #. Now music and movies and other actually cool things just don't have as much meaning. Everything has become washed out. Does that make sense? It at least feels that way to me.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: corsair00

You can unsubscribe to Facebook's email service with just one click on your user control panel. You were given this option when you first became a member, too. Maybe you didn't notice it.

I receive no emails from Facebook.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: corsair00

You can unsubscribe to Facebook's email service with just one click on your user control panel. You were given this option when you first became a member, too. Maybe you didn't notice it.

I receive no emails from Facebook.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   
i quit fb end of last year, best thing i have ever done. i had been disabling it on and off for a while but finally bit the bullet and wow never look back. i left due to being sick of peoples #, i mean seriously so much narcissism it makes me sick. whilst it was a wealth of information it is killing social interaction one post at a time...

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: orgncpndmc

I am on Facebook with a fake name. I have joined several communities and have made friends with a lot of people who have similiar interests.

Also I use FB as a newsfeed of differing interests I have.

I have NO friend on FB I know in real life. I have met a lot of cool people from all around the world. And I keep up with a lot of stuff with FB. You just have to know how to use it.

I leave 0 information on it about myself or my family. But have found a lot of fun.

It's a lot more interactive than ATS is, that is for sure.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   
You can't delete a Facebook. You can turn it off but Facebook retains it and keeps all the rights to your content.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

I find it ironic and laughable that you're talking about people being on ATS all the time. Looking at your post account, you would be one of those people.

Much ado about nothing. Facebook is a way for me to keep in touch with my family and friends in my local area, as well as hundreds of friends worldwide that were/are in the Navy, I'm not on Facebook every waking moment, and I'm not obsessed. It's simply a way to stay in touch. It's not the be all and see all for me. I don't think it is for most people. Same with this site.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

It is ironic and I don't deny my post regularity and internet dependence over the last year is worrying. First thing I've done after getting home is log in and reply to you. Compared to others it's a small post amount and that's what I measure myself against.... But you're right I too am caught and yet to be disgorged from this addiction that is social media. Because ATS is social media.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: orgncpndmc

i left due to being sick of peoples #, i mean seriously so much narcissism

So Facebook made you sick of the human race?

Remember that you chose who gets to post on your Facebook Wall.

What I see on Facebook — pretty girls posting selfies, people showing off their kids, their new toys, their sporting and other achievements — is not different from what I see IRL. That's how people behave. It isn't narcissim, it's social display and competition for social status.

If you don't like what you see on your Wall, the solution is not to close your Facebook account but to take a close hard look at your FB Friends list. And, of course, that means taking a close hard look at yourself.

edit on 19/3/15 by Astyanax because: of pretty girls.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: iNobody

I have NO friend on FB I know in real life.

Now this is creepy. Seriously, stomach-churningly creepy.

This is vicariously enjoying the intimate social interactions of others while living a lie online.

Luckily, someone employing this strategy will never be my friend on Facebook. I keep a sharp eye out for such people on ATS, too. Thanks for letting us know about you.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Google
Twitter
Facebook
Yahoo
Youtube

and your cell phones are nothing more than a surveillance , DnA mutating, and mass mind control platform. Social Anthropology data analyzer as well.

Imagine what it does at the CELL-U-LAR level?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I have no problem with Facebook. I like being able to keep track of my family members far away.
Seeing pics of my cousins and siblings new kids, new homes, their vacations.....knowing when one was graduating, or getting married.

Before Facebook, all my memories of my family back in the states remained fixed like mythic characters - cousins stayed 15 like the last time I saw them, I had no idea how many kids they had, a few times I thought my dad lived in one place, when actually they'd moved twice since.

Because my email address has a fr at the end many of my relatives have my emails blocked as spam or something, they can't receive them- just yesterday, we were able to work out my dad and stepmother coming to visit totally through Facebook messaging.

I don't spend a lot of time looking at it, just two or three times a day I check. I spend more time here than I do on Facebook.

I don't know, I guess anything can be abused. I also drink a glass of wine from time to time, but I understand some people can't keep it at that and have to avoid it altogether.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Why is it creepy? One, most of my real-life friends don't use Facebook, we are hooked up mostly through Yahoo. Two, I am not a liar just because I use a different name than my real-life one. You're probably doing the same thing right now on this website. I do not see it wrong to not share my private information for the world.

And three I have met some very nice people on several online groups that I have interests in. We have good chats, and really nice interchanges of conversations, as I do on here.

And as far as keeping a lookout for such people, if you were using your real name on Facebook you would be wise to keep your group of friends to ONLY people you know in real-life and are close to you.

Also Facebook is a really good way to get up-to-date newsfeeds on different interests if you know how to filter them properly.

Anyway you will never see me on Facebook. And I tend to ignore and sometimes block the really annoying judgmental types anyway. That is another thing I like about Facebook that I can't do here.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join