It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In charge of truth? Google considers ranking sites on facts, not popularity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
In charge of truth? Google considers ranking sites on facts, not popularity

Google is considering putting itself in charge of online truth, in order to assist users in an age of information overload. The web giant would rank search results based on each site’s 'truth score' instead of its popularity level.

The search engine currently relies on a system that ranks websites based on how many times the page has been linked to – which means that even fake information has a way of making it up the chain of search results.

According to a New Scientist report, the new model developed by a Google research team would count the number of incorrect facts on each website to establish a Knowledge-Based Trust score for each site – an overall rating of trustworthiness.

Each score would be computed using Google’s own ‘Knowledge Vault,’ an automated database that identifies “facts the web unanimously agrees on,” according to the media report.

“A source that has few false facts is considered to be trustworthy,” the research team said.

Source

Well, that`s a good way to bury things which doesn`t meet the Wikipedia criteria.

"In all honesty," all major news sites would end up very low in the ranking, but I can guarantee you that won`t happen.

This will be also bad for ATS and will be nothing more as blatant censorship.

I wonder if users would accept it and not transfer to other search engines.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Ohhh good god. Wait... is this another SNL skit like the ISIS one??

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Hard to be against something that will supposedly make B.S. harder to find. We need more proven facts. Too many poor souls believe everything they see on the internet.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
How about a filter instead of only one or the other? Choose when making the search which you're going for.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

We need more proven facts.

Have you spend some time on Wiki lately ?

You will only read the truth that follows the Western media kind of truth, and I can guarantee that will be the truth on what it will be based.
edit on 2 3 2015 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   
this can be potentially a good thing, to have obviously fake information filtered out for you.
but google will be blasted with complaints of all sorts once their specific belief is not put at the top of the list
people that believe in climate change will complain if they are not at the top of the list
people that do not believe in climate change will complain if they are not at the top of the list

And so forth for pretty much every single topic you can think of.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace

Hard to be against something that will supposedly make B.S. harder to find. We need more proven facts. Too many poor souls believe everything they see on the internet.

Dude you owe me a new keyboard.

Your response to this thread is classic! Great sense of humor

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Looks like the global warming hoax exposures are going to get "categorized".

The Priestly Academic crowd is feeling the heat from all their failures.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   
How is this going to work for my companies website? I don't supply information on things that can be fact checked, only the items I sell and the services I offer. How is that going to be determined true or false?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: WP4YT

You`re from America and will be fine.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: WP4YT

One would hope you are honest about the things you offer and sell. If so you are higher up than the people that are proven con artists.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

But adding an option for factuality or popularity doesn't support their agenda to get everyone to believe what they want them to believe.

I guess since they couldn't put a price tag on the internet, they decided to do this.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Actually facts are just widely accepted opinions..
So fact: Vaccines are good for you..
So fact: Vaccines are known to kill people.

So Fact: unvaccinated people cause vaccinated people to get the measles..
So fact: Outbreaks start also because of vaccinated people..

So you see here. some of these are facts.. But the widely accepted opinions are in fact wrong.. So this ranking will put the FACTual Facts in the depths of the internet..

Ya Just leave things as they are let people sort through the mess and make thier own minds up.. If they lack critical thinking then meh.. sucks to be them.. If they only accept one source as god.. oh well again sucks to be them...

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Oh goody , Google gets to be judge and jury on what is easily accessible on the internet . I bet Yahoo , Bing etc are rubbing there hands together .

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
How about Google follow the same principle they've been fighting for with net neutrality and not "censor" the internet.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Ummm...Duck duck...gone...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

It will probably be an advance search option .

Google is and has top search algorithm i doubt they would take such a risk to jeoporize that versu making it an option. At first anyways

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

It's the end of Google search, at least for me.

No person looking for accurate information on anything should use Google for search.
Where do you think they get their revenue anyway? It's just another form of pay for play advertising.

It's a very good idea to rotate through many different search engines and know their behavior.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
this can be potentially a good thing, to have obviously fake information filtered out for you.
but google will be blasted with complaints of all sorts once their specific belief is not put at the top of the list
people that believe in climate change will complain if they are not at the top of the list
people that do not believe in climate change will complain if they are not at the top of the list

And so forth for pretty much every single topic you can think of.

Maybe we're missing the point here. Google will of course put positive global climate change at the top because Google is entirely committed to promoting the accepted agenda; in fact promoting that agenda is critical to their profitability. The anti-global climate change sites will be reduced to the 55th page of a search; their click rate will dry up to nothing and they'll be relegated to the ash bin of history.

This maneuver is brilliant because it will sharply narrow debate such that only sites which parrot the accepted agenda will be left on the net! Popular "facts" will become the only facts viewed and then begins the self-reinforcing reality of the "accepted" facts which support the agenda. Its the Hegelian Dialectic on steroids.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join