It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20-year-old Military Weather Satellite Apparently Exploded in Orbit

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Here is some revisited calculation and hypothesis.

Applicable to a naval laser system that was described some time ago here on ATS. A CW 30kW ~1um unit.

Angular resolution for excellent atmospheric seeing condition = 2uRad, giving 1.6m at 800km distance.

Apperture equivalent for 2uRad = 0.6meter.

Circle of 1.6m area = 2m^2

30kW on 2m^2 give an irradiance of 15kW/m^2

That's 10x the Sun irradiance in space. Aimed at thermal radiator and sustained, it may be possible to overheat the satellite and (maybe) cause a thermal runaway in a battery or semething else.

The question that remain: Does a Sun-synchronous orbit sat present it's thermal radiator with an angle sufficient for an efficient transfert of power from Earth?

edit on 2015-3-3 by PeterMcFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: PeterMcFly

Yes that is what I am talking about change in voltage over change in time is variable were as you know delta is used to assume changeable or variable, so in theory over time if the voltage changes relative to a change in time (but delta on both T and V mean's that it is not necessarily in phase (i.e. asynchronous) with the time base so is variable relative to that also) this is indicative of a non constant force being applied so probably a variable or pulsed multi frequency or even amplitude of energy applied to the emitter and therefor the target, as you already know the US also has EMP and even some vessel's in the Royal Navy have in fairly recent time's (pre Cameron anyway) had some Laser technology that was well concealed from the public and this probably courtesy of the US but most energy weapon's and they are weapon's are simply anti communications electronic warfare devices.

I was wondering at the feasibility of super conductor's and the possibility fo superconducting capacitor's and coil's to produce extreme rapid discharge artificial EMP emitter's, maybe one reason that room temperature superconductor's have not made it to the public despite there obvious money spinning potential especially in the laptop market.

edit on 3-3-2015 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-3-2015 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
perhaps the old satellite was hit by one of those high speed pieces of Space Junk...(over 10,000 nuts/bolts/chunks...) the 20 YO monitoring equipment was a victim of it's own successful long life, and finally got punctured which caused the internal temperature spike

just my considered guess, until NASA engineers determine a likely cause or cascade of problems

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I tracked what remains of the main body of the satellite this morning. Actually it appears that a significant portion and maybe even most of the satellite is still there, but it appears to be spinning at a rate of about 12 degrees per second.

Hat tip to Mike McCants for maintaining the classified satellite TLE file.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

Very possible but I would have expected the satellite to have simply been knocked out by such, minor damage though could have caused a leak and that could have caused a short leading to the explosion so YES, there are any number of potential problems that can occur, the heat before the explosion may also as other's have said simply have been a battery or other failure but sound's fishy, still at 20 years it had outlived it's expected lifespan anyway so was an old bird and I doubt anyone really cares except in that it has added to some more erratic and potentially dangerous junk in our own artificial planetary ring.

And not to you but to add to Mcfly, the reason I did not apply algebraic cancellation of delta is simply that as it is delta the two deltas are actually different variable's, if it had been called DeltaZ ~(not to reference impedance but just as an algebraic sum labelled using alphabetic symbols independent of electrical or physic's symbology such as Z1, Z2, Z3 etc or any other letter or even word like Zarl for argument sake that is) or for both though then it would nicely cancel and not be relevant to the equation at all as you know, anyway you know how impossible numbers are often used in low to middle level electronics' and up such as J notation (the square root of minus one which is an impossible number but useful for algebraic equations were it actually cancels out so is merely a plug in variable number to facilitate the equation and as it self cancels once having served it's purpose makes otherwise unworkable equations a mathematical possibility, personally I have math's but you have to admire the madness of mind's that can created these solution's).

edit on 4-3-2015 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2015 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Elton

Sounds like a laser test.

LOL, I like that. the Politically correct way to say we shot a satellite out of orbit with a laser.

+1 for you

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
I vote China laser.

Nope cause it would mean war for them, one that they can not possibly win. China is not stupid. The world gave them all kinds of hell when they tested it on one of their own. If they hit one of ours all of theirs would have been taken down by this morning. We have many ways to do it.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Patriotsrevenge

China has subtly fired warning shots across our bow before.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Patriotsrevenge

You mean like when we shot down all the Soviet satellites after they repeatedly blinded ours?

Oh... wait.
edit on 3/7/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join