It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detachment is apathy

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

tis a reason for the season, tis better to swallow another hot iron ball than to trip into spring next fall than to swallow another hot iron ball than to speak with your mouth full

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

How can one say such things after William Tell shot her in the heart and then you her in the head? Mediate and meditate til you die on the cushion to know such pain there's a rainbow missing blue knock knock ma is that you?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

I get this. My only pointed observation is, how humorous it is that a monk is looked to as an example or guide in such development, by people who do not live in monastary, celebate, childless, with regular prayer and meditation time provided and protected, outside of the pressures and challenges modern life pose, to the realization of such a state.

It's like looking to a swimmer to coach and train you for a triathlon.

The development of this internal state is more challenging to reach while you are facing things like watching your two year old child get hit by a car, for example.

To those a Buddha does make but a Pratyeka yawns wide awake

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

I agree with you and so do many others.

But perhaps Buddha’s path may be based on the reality that he himself was basically a monk when he got enlightenment therefore he could teach others in that environment.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

its a fly buzzing stink so ripe is you I'd think let blue tara tell you what he below thinks as # sits above. Homage when above speak when Lo!

this here was one now two so I go... trust the wind blows across an azure sky ask no more question of this old guy.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

But as they say:

If you want safety remain on the shore but out into the ocean is riches beyond compare

edit on 7-3-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

But perhaps Buddha’s path may be based on the reality that he himself was basically a monk when he got enlightenment therefore he could teach others in that environment.

'Buddha' means the enlightened one.
The person who believed himself to be an individual tried to get rid of his suffering by doing all sorts of practices - the suffering stopped when he gave up trying to make things better.
He had tried to improve his life and the life of others and realized that it was hopeless.
The only cure to improve life is to see that life is simply happening - it is not actually happening to anyone. The struggle that can occur in life is the illusory separate me that thinks it has to do life. It is the trying to do life right which makes life heavy.
When the separate me is sought it will not be found and that is the end of it.

edit on 7-3-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme
Feeling detached from the world is not the Spirit of Love but apathy. Spirit is attached to everyone through compassionate love.

Detachment is suppressing Love Generosity and all things good for Life.

The Buddha said to have compassion for all. and that generosity is important but the fake sort of Buddhism ignores the love part and focuses on the "detached" part - that detachment being towards greed ("desire") not the detachment of compassionate love Buddha and Jesus taught to have for all.

Why do so many ignore or avoid the generosity/love part but not the "zen" "dettached" or "one consciousness" part that is talked about so much . in new age spirituality nowadays?

As a Christian Mystic, my Detachment came via the mystical indwelling and ego death from the Holy Spirit after getting rebatized at 24. After years of Love/Bliss came the Dark Night of the Soul which detached me completely froma ll things this world and ego/emotion, and when that lifted, it revealed a Oneness that is detached, but also compassionate, very zen like, open, flowing.

I feel know like where "I'm" at is the fruition of a Christian Buddhist, but it all came from the Holy Spirit.

Detachment and Love are just aspects of Oneness

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

Who is this 'I' which you refer to?

It is that which you just called "you" in your question.
It is that which you speak to each time you ask me a question like "Do you believe you have free will?"

The "big eye" has nothing to say to you here, as it is not separate from you or me, has no questions or intents, it is a silent observer. If you come here and tap on that keyboard, hoping to have a conversation with nothingness, you are misguided.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   

The "big eye" has nothing to say to you here, as it is not separate from you or me, has no questions or intents, it is a silent observer. If you come here and tap on that keyboard, hoping to have a conversation with nothingness, you are misguided.

No you, no me - just the loving awareness in which all appears.

The appearance just appears out of nothing and disappears back to nothing.

edit on 8-3-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme

The Buddha said to have compassion for all. and that generosity is important but the fake sort of Buddhism ignores the love part and focuses on the "detached" part - that detachment being towards greed ("desire") not the detachment of compassionate love Buddha and Jesus taught to have for all.

As far as compassion and mentioning Jesus and Buddha in the same breath......Jesus came upon a funeral one day and was so moved with compassion for a woman that had lost her only son that He raised the boy from the dead. Jesus did other acts on this level noted as compassionate. Just wondering how Buddha gets equal billing here.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

But as they say:

If you want safety remain on the shore but out into the ocean is riches beyond compare

Shush and grab a bucket Bluesma is at the helm while itsnowagain says ___ it.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Standing at the end of the path, long a finger you have, walk back to the beginning and then point of which you know backwards and forwards... a fetcher fletches only arrows, who draws his bow? Not sure if he even knows.

Look I have an edit too, second guess and I lose another shoe.
edit on 8-3-2015 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

Ho hum the reflection is infinite is it not? May peace remain with you even when it's not, the torch is passed so please do me a favor and put it out.

Sava!

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

One had heart and one had head speak of those such is a curse upon those dead.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Perceptual experience is always happening.

originally posted by: bb23108
Does awareness cease to exist in deep sleep? Perception does, but does awareness?

These words are used by different people to refer to different concepts. To answer, we'd need to define first and "get on the same page"
Deep sleep: do you mean deep sleep stage of non-REM sleep? Or REM sleep?

Awareness: do you mean cognisance (having knowledge of), or sentience (state of elementary or undifferentiated consciousness).

Finally catching up with this thread. Sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, deep sleep as beyond REM.

Awareness as consciousness - not just the observer or the knower of knowledge.

Isn't awareness or consciousness the same as our fundamental being, prior to all experience but not separate from anything experienced?

edit on 3/8/2015 by bb23108 because:

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

Polly want a cracker? Such a pretty bird.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: bb23108

Parroting concepts is just as bad as suicide bombers, philosophy bots have no conscience. Steven Hawking is not a mad man, stop putting words in his mouth.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Detachment is compassion, empathy is love.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join