It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some advice from UK Prepper's please!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Lol the old 'D' cell in a sock is a winner
I'd say that's the MK1 version of the monkeys fist

A black pepper pot was my late nan's preferred self defence tool when she was a young lass
Never tried it myself but I'd imagine it would work pretty nicely.

Peace,

M.
edit on Mar000000Sun, 01 Mar 2015 08:25:20 -0600Sunday20152015-03-01T08:25:20-06:00k by murlock because: missed a bit out

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: murlock

Yup, the same chum who adapted his walking stick with the screwdriver adapter intro'd me to them. He has used oven cleaner and wasp sprays too.

Another chum advocates having a really angry tomcat in a duffel bag. When you hit trouble just give the bag a good shake, open it and throw it at your target

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Maybe those water purifier sticks for drinking rain water, and a leatherman tool has different type of Multi survival professional tools. solar panels... tinned food.... loads of toiletpaper hehe

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Ahhhhh!!!!

I have found a UK legal Leatherman that looks half decent

It has no blade and it can even get through TSA check points.

www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425229606&sr=8-1&keywords=leatherman+ps#productDe tails

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

For self defence, you can buy a 3 sided socket wrench from bike shops. I have one I bought years ago from Halfords-fits nicely in my hand with the centre socket protruding between my middle fingers and the sides either side of my fist-plus, its a socket wrench so always handy.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
You could make a small drawstring bag for keeping your coinage in. If good enough with basic sewing skills, you could make it yourself with something sturdy like heavy denim and a bit of paracord. Not much more dangerous than any other coin purse, until you loop a spare length of paracord through the drawstring part. A pounds worth of pennies swung on an arm-length and wielded at an arm-length probably wouldn't be too pleasant on the recieving end.

And if you need an excuse with any authority figures, just claim you gave him your money like he was asking.

edit on 5-3-2015 by pauljs75 because: fixed typo

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Yes it against the law to carry anything if you intend to use it as a weapon. However there are a lot of items which could be pressed into service if needed. The monkey fist type momentum weapons are all good ideas, especially the ones which can be quickly and easily taken apart into their innocent components.

I like to carry a sharpie marker pen as at a last resort it can be clutched in a fist and can deliver a sharp impact at its point. It draws absolutely zero attention.

If you're looking at just a bag to get you home in case of emergencies then I'd be tempted to travel light. You don't need food, or mess tins or much of anything if your aim is just something to get you home. You can go for 24 hours without food if it's an emergency. Maybe just some high energy foods like chocolate bars or flapjacks depending on what you like for energy. Traveling light and fast would be a priority for me, so I wouldn't want to be stopping to cook.

Similarly I wouldn't go overboard with water. Maybe just one small bottle plus a filter and some water purification tablets. In the UK the one thing we will never be short of is water. If you run dry you will be able to find some water somewhere, and a filter and purification tablets will let you purify it on the move. A good option is one of the small drinking straw type filters, that you can use as a straw or attach to the mouth of a bottle.

I'd use my bag to also carry a waterproof jacket, a spare change of warm, dry clothes, fresh socks. Emergency bivvy bag.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Get yourself a Firesteel on your bunch of keys like mine:

...sole purpose of course for lighting a fire in an emergency, but held in the hand and sticking out from the little finger end a hammer style punch will ruin any arm or shoulder, or anything else you may need to do while using reasonable force to defend yourself or others. Incidental weapons can be considered reasonable depending on use, and my firesteel would be incidental as I only carry it in case I ever need to make an emergency fire.
I've been arrested 3 times with that on my bunch of keys (released without charges I must add) and had it back no problem, and it lives in my trousers pocket.
Devon and Cornwall police area so make your own choices, our cops are chilled/laid back and rely more on us all policing ourselves in what is the biggest geographical police area of England.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Seen a few threads like this now and to be fair, most of the ideas will work to some degree.

But its one thing to give it 'Bruce Lee' with a loaded sock, shouting "you want some then..eh?...do yah!"
But quite another to actually hit someone with any degree of commitment, should the need arise.
Those with martial arts training will know that the hardest thing to learn is that you CAN actually twat someone across the nut, smack them in the throat, or shove his nose back into his head with little effort.

Just saying.....

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
Carry a walking stick with you perhaps as they say "speak quiety and carry a big stick"

Would've given same advice on walking stick. As for personal carry, a zippo lighter cos you never know when you need fire fast unlike firesteel. A UK legal multi tool with serrated knife for emergency cutting, mini torch for night or signaling, loud whistle for alarm or signaling, and good weather proof jacket.

Above all by being calm and prepared mentally is key to success in any tough situations.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Ok guys I am a total amature at this sort of stuff but I could do with some advice.

To give you a bit of background, I travel around the city quite a lot, I travel on the bus daily, I walk every where and so on, very often then I find myself in public in situations where i think "dam I wish i had that on me......" for example dam i wish i had a rain coat with me or a little extra charge for my phone, a fist aid kit and so on.

So I have been thinking about this this for a little while and I have decided to put together a bag of stuff that could come in handy, not quite a Bug out bag more of a Every day care (EDC) bag but with some survival gear as well. So I have a decent bag firstly, I have put a first aid kit in it, I have also put together a electronics bag and another bag that has that dam rain coat in it as well as some other stuff. I carry around a back pack every day, and I think its about time I actually had contents that I use some of that empty and not just have it to save me 5p for a plastic bag at the shops.

But I need advice on the "prepper-stuff", I am by no means thinking a 72 hour bag because with having to carry some stuff for work so that is just not going to happen. I am more looking the kind of stuff i might need should the bus brake down and I am stranded (happened to me a few times) in the middle of the country side so I could get myself either home to to some kind of shelter.

I also need some advice on personal defence stuff, I am able to take care of myself and I think that if i did need to resort to using some kind of weapon then the proverbial really would have it the fan pretty hard so there might not be much help having a weapon, but all the same i would like some peace of mind. My brother was mugged a few months ago and I would just like some limited protection even just as a deterrent. Nothing lethal.

The problem though seems to be that if you read between the lines under UK law it seems like having something on you for personal protection indicates intent and as such if i were to use it i could be committing a criminal act. Additionally having almost any kind of pointed object now also seems to be a crime (apparently its not even possible to carry around a every day multi-tool unless i can prove I need on).

Anyway just some general advice on these points would good.

Thanks.

EDIT: Any advice on any other kind of gear you guys think i should have would be really good to, just remember I am not going to be wanting to take a tent with me every time i leave the house

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Bumping up this thread as I found it interesting and it correlates to the thread I made today about emergency bug out bags. To the original OP have you considered a personal alarm? It screetches very loudly and you can use it right in front of an attacker and will temporarily disorientate the attacker due to the noise. You can then use self defence by adding in a good kick to down below where the sun does not shine!! Mind you if the attacker was a woman that would not work, so perhaps a squirt of pepper spray might do the trick there.

For an every day commute bag I could do with thinking about that myself. I already have a torch in my bag. And I plan to add an emergency personal first aid kit, but I may well add simple things like foil warmers and little things like that. It would compliment my bug out bag. Mind you, one thing about my bug out bag...it has a pocket for my ipod and headphones. The thought of listening to Coldplay's Fix You whilst the world around you is in chaos was grimly amusing!

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Water
Oat/energy bars
map/compass
survival bag (high vis version of the foil blankets with survival instructions on, plus works as a liner to waterproof your kit)
whistle
Small pair of binoculars.
Condoms
Tampons
First aid including any medication
Waterproof/windproof
multi tool
torch

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join