It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some advice from UK Prepper's please!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Ok guys I am a total amature at this sort of stuff but I could do with some advice.

To give you a bit of background, I travel around the city quite a lot, I travel on the bus daily, I walk every where and so on, very often then I find myself in public in situations where i think "dam I wish i had that on me......" for example dam i wish i had a rain coat with me or a little extra charge for my phone, a fist aid kit and so on.

So I have been thinking about this this for a little while and I have decided to put together a bag of stuff that could come in handy, not quite a Bug out bag more of a Every day care (EDC) bag but with some survival gear as well. So I have a decent bag firstly, I have put a first aid kit in it, I have also put together a electronics bag and another bag that has that dam rain coat in it as well as some other stuff. I carry around a back pack every day, and I think its about time I actually had contents that I use some of that empty and not just have it to save me 5p for a plastic bag at the shops.

But I need advice on the "prepper-stuff", I am by no means thinking a 72 hour bag because with having to carry some stuff for work so that is just not going to happen. I am more looking the kind of stuff i might need should the bus brake down and I am stranded (happened to me a few times) in the middle of the country side so I could get myself either home to to some kind of shelter.

I also need some advice on personal defence stuff, I am able to take care of myself and I think that if i did need to resort to using some kind of weapon then the proverbial really would have it the fan pretty hard so there might not be much help having a weapon, but all the same i would like some peace of mind. My brother was mugged a few months ago and I would just like some limited protection even just as a deterrent. Nothing lethal.

The problem though seems to be that if you read between the lines under UK law it seems like having something on you for personal protection indicates intent and as such if i were to use it i could be committing a criminal act. Additionally having almost any kind of pointed object now also seems to be a crime (apparently its not even possible to carry around a every day multi-tool unless i can prove I need on).

Anyway just some general advice on these points would good.

Thanks.

EDIT: Any advice on any other kind of gear you guys think i should have would be really good to, just remember I am not going to be wanting to take a tent with me every time i leave the house

edit on 28-2-2015 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Get yourself a kubotan for defence and look up some styles and techniques
But for a ickle bag
Water, energy food, £5 in various change, consider investing in a waterproof poncho as opposed to a jacket, good socks,Small torch(key ring style will suffice) 30m of good cord, not string, lighter, cotton wool and or tampon, condom
Any meds you specifically need, a couple of paracetamol .....and a spoon

That should suffice for 24 hours or a snap situation

Food wise
general energy bars ...ok
Honey!! A squeezey tub of honey ....oh my god! Nectar!
Jaffa cakes ( 3 equivalent to a banana so I'm told by those that know these things)
But again have a look online for something your taste that's in the energy food dept

Hope this helps

I'm East anglia if any use to you
Naturally I'm assuming you have at least some ability lol

edit on 28-2-2015 by Globa because: Added

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

foil survival blankets 2 off very light and of a reasonable price.

2 large bin bags folded up.

keep small doggie bags in pack just in case feet get wet. remove wet socks, slip on the bags and
put wet socks back on. shoes next. your feet my feel squidgy but the bags will mitigate
feelings of becoming miserable and feet will eventually warm up.
learn self defence. do not carry anything that can be construed as an offensive weapon.
f.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Globa has it pretty well covered, bout the only other thing I would look at is an older style walking stick.

That way you can dodge the intent charge because it has a valid reason for being on your person. Also getting an older style you'll be getting your hands on a sturdy wood walking stick, so it can handle hitting someone.

Never hurts to be prepared...
edit on 28-2-2015 by Irishhaf because: Fricking auto correct

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
If you want to carry something that is useful and can be used as a simple weapon consider a D cell Maglite. A very powerful and reliable torch with enough bulk to flatten any nasties if you smash them in the grid with it.

If you're stopped by the police, well, you just like to have a torch with you...

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies guys.

My real question is more about personal defence.

I do have some degree of martial arts training but at the same time i am not arrogant enough to think that if a guy came at me with a knife i would come of better every time (all be it I would put up a pretty good fight i think).

But I do think i would feel much better having some kind of personal defence weapon that might give me the edge should some wee ned want to have a go with his favourite kitchen knife.

I have done a little bit of research into this and basically UK law states that if you carry any kind of personal defence weapon, regardless if you use it or not you are committing the crime of owning a offensive weapon. To me this is totally insane, were i live there have been quite a few stabbings for example yet the law says i cannot carry anything to protect myself with.

I was going to get a Kubatton but they are also classed as a offensive weapon.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I suppose a D cell Maglite is a decent enough idea but I reckon that in the right circumstances that too could be considered a weapon. For example a officer asking why I would have such a thing on my person during the middle of a summers day.....

Not that I have ever been stopped, but at the same time I would like to keep my clean record.
edit on 28-2-2015 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Yeah ....here is my advice .....it doesn't matter how much prepping you do ...the day comes that there is a catastrophic event to deal with ... you will wish you were dead.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

Yeah ....here is my advice .....it doesn't matter how much prepping you do ...the day comes that there is a catastrophic event to deal with ... you will wish you were dead.

Read the OP am not really talking about prepping but this is a subject that am sure preppers will have lots of useful advice on.

If you don't have anything useful to say then i would appreciate it if you didn't say anything.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
On my EDC Key chain I have the following

1) Spyderco Grasshopper knife. (UK legal carry).
2) Small multi-tool with non locking blade.
3) Compact firesteel. (Works when wet).
4) Swisstool Keytool looks like a key but has screwdriver, bottle opener, small sharp edge.
5) Small Torch, single AAA powered.
6) Firestash peanut lighter. (O-ring sealed so petrol doesn't evaporate).
7) My keys.

On my person a 550 Paracord bracelet

I also carry my Snugpak Response Pak.

That contains a crap load of stuff but has primarily the 5 C's of survivability

Cutting tool 3 inch folding lock knife (well hidden) and a Gerber suspension multi-tool
Cover. Poncho and a 55 gal drum liner.
Cordage. More 550 Cord and a pencil with about 10' of duct tape round it.
Container. Metal Mug and folding 1 liter water bottle with my sawyer water filter and a Hexi Stove plus fuel
Combustion device. Another fire-steel and a couple of bic lighters (flint type not electric)

Also I have a freeloader solar charger with cables. 2x Zippo hand warmers plus fuel (awesome btw), Sewing kit. First aid kit, Spare socks (a must). a lantern/torch combo made by pifco again 3xAAA powered to keep a standard. a small 3xAAA torch (£2 from ASDA and pretty good too).

For personal protection almost anything can be construed as a weapon! It is down to your behavior not the item...
A metal mechanical pencil will quite easily kill if employed correctly lol

I have personally carried a locking or fixed blade for most of my adult life and so far no problems.

I have seen large marker pens made by cold steel that would be pretty nasty if you thwacked someone with it.
Also the friendly swede on amazon makes a really nice monkeys fist too! (well worth a look).

Hope that's a little help for you buddy
That's just a list of my most common items

Remember nothing is cast in stone and there are a million things you can carry or not for that matter. It's just a case of what works for you for the situation in hand and the space available to carry it in.

Most of all remember. the more skills you have in your head the less you need to carry

All the best in your travels,

Stay safe,

M.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Get a power monkey there a must have to charge your stuff while your out.
Power monkey

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Carry a walking stick with you perhaps as they say "speak quiety and carry a big stick" as for food and drink i'd say for 2-3 days most of us can survive on the basics, pack dried noodles of various flavours and some kendal mint cake which would last you forever and in this country you're never very far from water or the next rain cloud so perhaps a bit of filtration gear and some fire starting gear and you'll be sorted, copy of local OS map in a water proof bag will be a major boon along with some waterproofs but it does depend on where you live...best thing to do is to just decide to spend a weekend away from it all and see where you f-- it up and then learn from it and repeat until its pretty much perfect.

With what could be considered weaponry i'd say it's more about how you carry yourself especially in the country as when i was in the scouts we used to walk around with large knives/axes strapped to our waists but it was pretty obvious that we were not nutters and if the SHTF i doubt there will be plod patrolling around anywhere beyond the car park of their police station

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: murlock
On my EDC Key chain I have the following

1) Spyderco Grasshopper knife. (UK legal carry).
2) Small multi-tool with non locking blade.
3) Compact firesteel. (Works when wet).
4) Swisstool Keytool looks like a key but has screwdriver, bottle opener, small sharp edge.
5) Small Torch, single AAA powered.
6) Firestash peanut lighter. (O-ring sealed so petrol doesn't evaporate).
7) My keys.

On my person a 550 Paracord bracelet

I also carry my Snugpak Response Pak.

That contains a crap load of stuff but has primarily the 5 C's of survivability

Cutting tool 3 inch folding lock knife (well hidden) and a Gerber suspension multi-tool
Cover. Poncho and a 55 gal drum liner.
Cordage. More 550 Cord and a pencil with about 10' of duct tape round it.
Container. Metal Mug and folding 1 liter water bottle with my sawyer water filter and a Hexi Stove plus fuel
Combustion device. Another fire-steel and a couple of bic lighters (flint type not electric)

Also I have a freeloader solar charger with cables. 2x Zippo hand warmers plus fuel (awesome btw), Sewing kit. First aid kit, Spare socks (a must). a lantern/torch combo made by pifco again 3xAAA powered to keep a standard. a small 3xAAA torch (£2 from ASDA and pretty good too).

For personal protection almost anything can be construed as a weapon! It is down to your behavior not the item...
A metal mechanical pencil will quite easily kill if employed correctly lol

I have personally carried a locking or fixed blade for most of my adult life and so far no problems.

I have seen large marker pens made by cold steel that would be pretty nasty if you thwacked someone with it.
Also the friendly swede on amazon makes a really nice monkeys fist too! (well worth a look).

Hope that's a little help for you buddy
That's just a list of my most common items

Remember nothing is cast in stone and there are a million things you can carry or not for that matter. It's just a case of what works for you for the situation in hand and the space available to carry it in.

Most of all remember. the more skills you have in your head the less you need to carry

M.

dude he's not carrying a Bergan lol
but I like the set up, nice PLCE

but exactly as you say
skills
well not skills maybe
preparedness and the ability to improvise and utilise what's near by

ultimately. mind-set is more important than any equipment

and as some one posted
a simple mini mag lite
2AA's long and hard enough to act as a kabaton

hell half the people I know carry some kind of torch (if needs be ...you have dark garage, late dog walks, meh its a torch)
edit on 28-2-2015 by Globa because: added

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I did say something useful and just because it wasn't the reply you wished for doesn't mean it wasn't correct...prep away...be prepared to kill other people to protect whatever it is you stockpile...sounds like loads of fun to me.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Globa

And I don''t carry a bergen either lol

As I said it fits in a Snugpak Response Pak. with room to spare too

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
perhaps you are right
when it comes perhaps some will wish they were dead
some of us will be sat back watching nature right itself, glad
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

There's a huge difference between carrying useful stuff every day. i.e. EDC. and having a home bunker filled with 3 years worth of food and equipment. lol.

prepping and being prepared are 2 totally different animals in my opinion

One conjours up an image of a partially crazy dude with 3 years of food in his home bunker and a small arsenal with a million rounds of ammo.

The other is just an every day fella or lass that doesn't like to be caught out in the rain or have their mobile phone go flat at an inopportune moment.

Peace,

M.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: murlock
like I said
nice set up
basically a combat infantryman's webbing set up
but if I could convince you of anything .....ditch hexi
dunno if pocket rockets are still available but a cana gas goes a long way and would always advise gas if you can
if you insist on hexi ditch the cooker, take 4 tabs and a few 9 inch nails, less weigh less space just use bits of hexi as your initial ignition source

aaaaahhhhhhh wheres your racing spoon !!! lol
sorry lol

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Globa

Pretty close to a webbing set up yes
( I have one of those and a bergen lol !)

Hexi is only there for the convenience, I also use a small home made Red bull alcohol stove.

Although I do have something very similar to the pocket rocket, I primarily go stealth camping so i try to avoid the roar of gas

Alcohol takes longer but i do prefer it tbh
Plus its way cheaper than gas too

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
just read your OP properly .. and realised ma post isnt as relevant as i thought

edit on 28-2-2015 by Segenam because: .... i love to edit ....

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Should say some mess tins would be good as for some reason a lot of survival things seem to forget on how to cook your food etc and if theres females around then chocolate will be your primary worry to ensure you don't suffer from the dreaded 'monthlies'

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join