It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Did The U.S. Keep The Names Of The 13 British Colonies?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
What were they going to do? Order all new stationary? Put up new signs? Draw new maps? Nah....too much damn work.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
a reply to: PLAYERONE01

Fortunately the history of the United States is not so long that the truth was lost in antiquity. There are houses in Europe that are older than this country.

Ah that made me chuckle because my home in the UK is a (converted) hard limestone stables built around 1750.
Would be cool if one of the original masons started a new life in the 'new world' lol, I romaticise about such things too much sometimes.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

a reply to: PLAYERONE01

Fortunately the history of the United States is not so long that the truth was lost in antiquity. There are houses in Europe that are older than this country.

Ah that made me chuckle because my home in the UK is a (converted) hard limestone stables built around 1750.
Would be cool if one of the original masons started a new life in the 'new world' lol, I romaticise about such things too much sometimes.

Aw, you can't help romanticising, you're British. It's in your blood.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Woah yours is way way better than the little rhyme I heard as a kid. Way better!!!
reply to: DISRAELI

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah back in the 1600. Sure they did.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Well sure the territories were owned by France England Mexico we had to purchase all of them from the countries who had claimed them but Oregon wasn't a colony of great Britain it was a territory.
Some of the territories were won in the revolutionary war like Kentucky. Others like Louisiana were purchased in that case from France.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Yeah back in the 1600. Sure they did.

Yeah, they did:

Indian land tenure systems were varied. While some ownership was completely or almost completely communal, other ownership was more like today’s fee simple. The degree of private ownership reflected the scarcity of land and the difficulty or ease of defining and enforcing rights.

Because agricultural land required investments and because boundaries could be easily marked, crop land was often privately owned, usually by families or clans rather than individuals. For example, families among the Mahican Indians in the Northeast possessed hereditary rights to use well-defined tracts of garden land along the rivers. Europeans recognized this ownership, and deeds of white settlers indicate that they usually approached lineage leaders to purchase this land. Prior to European contact, other Indian tribes recognized Mahican ownership of these lands by not trespassing. Source

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Well sure the territories were owned by France England Mexico we had to purchase all of them from the countries who had claimed them but Oregon wasn't a colony of great Britain it was a territory.
Some of the territories were won in the revolutionary war like Kentucky. Others like Louisiana were purchased in that case from France.

I didn't actually state that Oregon was a British Colony. What i did say was this:-

Oregon was named after British Major Robert Roger

I was more talking about naming of The States, and not how they where held.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

It's fine.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join