It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are moderators been used to control us ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Hi
I have been away for a long time because I felt this place had anything but good mods, a feeling that we were been manipulated by the mods. However I was given part of a large research that I found to be interesting and also concerning, it convinced me to share it with my fellow ATSers
I got my hands on a report from a group of people who are examining how moderators in different social media world wide are manipulating responses
from the public. I only got part of the report and it concerns a very well known online news paper, I will give you the short version.
Two texts were sent to the comments section of this new paper,only different was one used the word muslem the other the letter m, in all other ways they were the same.
The one using the word muslem was not printed but the other one was. After a few hours a email was sent by the moderators saying
due to the large amounts of complaints the text had been with drawn ( remember it had never been published ) shortly afterwards another
E mail arrived saying the text will not be returned to the public due to the amount of complaints. It was also noticed that moderators used false
profiles to challenge other text and give themselves large amounts of positives. It was also noted that some text that was sent would have
the word muslem removed and replaced with other words then republished under these false profiles ( remember all the wording the same
except for muslem). Posts would also be delayed for many hours some times days before they would be published.
During the night many negative votes would suddenly appear(manipulation of voting). The main words that seem to trigger the software are
muslem
fatwa
rape
and many others but I dont wish to write them.
After several weeks a text was sent to the e mail from the moderators

"Hello,

Your account has been permanently de- activated for going against the Community Guidelines.

You are no longer allowed to post on the xxxxxx or other Associated Newspapers XXXX sites using this or any other user.
Please be advised that should you post again we reserve the right to contact your ISP/employer and seek that action
is taken against you"

Remember the only text that was removed was the one that was not printed,
all other texts that were sent are still visible and the account is still open
From what I understand many social sites moderators are working to control people and destroy free speech , and im wondering how far this infection has gone,
for example in Sweden the government had to close a whole department because it was working for ISIS.
Please remember I am only forwarding information as I received it, its for every one to check it , nor do I
condone attacks on any religion or culture.
I have had nothing to do with this research so i cannot answer any questions. Once again i post this as something of interest not as an attack on anyone.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
They certainly control me, or I'd post pics of myself doing the horizontal hustle all the time.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: imod02

So why do you feel ATS moderators are being anything other than moderators?

Please offer some examples.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

Good one

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Do you have a link or something? I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

Second
edit on 25-2-2015 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: imod02

,only different was one used the word muslem the other the letter m,

Maybe it had something to do with "muslem" not being an actual word?

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

As I said this is part of a research i dont know if its ready yet and I dont know why its been done and I know nothing about it, if it will be published or not you have as much info as i do

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

I think its more my spelling , sorry

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
In answer to the question posed in your thread title....
Of course they are. They are supposed to control us. That is their defined purpose.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Can you be more specific? Is this an experiment you conducted yourself, or one that you read about? Was this a single message board, or was it tried across several? What other key words were tried? I have a feeling one person violated a rule on one site and had a post removed, leading to charges of massive media manipulation. Could you provide a link, please?

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Please read the the post, you will see I have given you all the info I have, and for the last time I know nothing nor have I anything to do with this , I just posted it because it seem interesting, also please note where its been posted. I cannot state it to be true or not true, its for each person to find out for themselfs
edit on 25-2-2015 by imod02 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Yup...

I have been on sites where you discuss with nothing more as other accounts of moderators.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I have had problems with mods myself, I have had posts removed, threads trashed etc.

Because- sometimes I'm a jerk and say stupid things.

Do I always agree with mods? NO. (wolverine I'm looking at you)

However they do a great job here FOR FREE and keep this sight from devolving into potty humour,profanity, and insults.

The op seems to be some whiny bearer of tales who doesn't realize (multiple times apparently) that in a civilized debate childish and disruptive behavior has to be curtailed.

ETA: Also, as far as the "study" about mods is concerned , it almost appears as if you made it up as a platform for your complaining, I'm not calling you a liar but, LINK?
edit on 25-2-2015 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Who are the group of people from which you obtained the report?
Do you have a copy of the report you could post?

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Do you have personal knowledge of the OP? otherwise your comment just seems pretty rude and unfounded.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: WilsonWilson

It`s pretty easy to come up that it`s happening all over the place.

The elite wants to control everything, you just have to look around you to see that, so social media is no exception to that.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Come on. Seriously just... come on.
I was banned from ATS and they were right to do so. Moderators keep the discussion going and if you do nothing but (what was it?) "verbally abusing" someone you deserve to get slapped, metaphorically.
But that doesn't make them the eliltes brainwashing me to an extent where I forget my own opinion. I just try to swear less and that is a good thing keeps the flow focused on topic. You know, doing their jobs so we can stroll and troll as we see fit and fun...

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: imod02
it concerns a very well known online news paper,

Which newspaper?

From what I understand many social sites moderators are working to control people and destroy free speech

Moderators cannot destroy free speech. All social media has rules you agree to follow when you register. If you don't follow their rules in their house, they can boot you. You still have free speech.

I have had nothing to do with this research so i cannot answer any questions.

Well, that's pretty convenient. People are going to have questions and since you brought this up, you should answer them.

My opinion - Do the moderators here control the content of their site? Absolutely! It's their job. Do I always agree with the mod's actions? No. But it's not my house, it's their house. Do I think they're involved in some nefarious scheme to manipulate people's thoughts and oppress free speech? No. I have seen no evidence of that.

But if you think ATS is involved in a particular conspiracy, some evidence would be nice.

I've just had a look at your profile... I think I understand your motivation now.
edit on 2/25/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I wasn`t talking about them being elites, I was just talking about the real elites who want to control everything in this World...and they don`t want to control what goes on on social media ?...of course they do.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
As much as I find the OP unsupported and really just a tall tale, I have to agree with it a little. Mods are people and some will enforce T&C's differently in some subjects than others. It's human nature really.

The problem is that in a 'free' system Mods read threads that interest them. That interest generally means they have some previous exposure to the topic and a set of 'beliefs' on it. When a debate in a thread gets heated a Mod can be tempted to enforce rules one way.

Selection of Mods is extremely important in a fiercely debated place like ATS. Review of Mod actions is also important to ensure fairness. I think ATS is better now than when I was first here years earlier. Having said that I still dance over the lines and get posts blown up because that's my nature.

The OP should compare different forums and mod actions in each. I think he/she will find ATS mods compare well, especially to MSM comment mods that get paid and limit speech to meaningless drivel.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join