It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vivid Photos Of Rare Flipped Iceberg In Antarctica

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I never gave much thought to what icebergs looked like underneath the water. I suppose I imagined they looked pretty much the same "down under" as they did on top. Not so!!! I ran across these pictures and had to share them with you all.

Apparently it seems to be a rare occurrence that folks get a glimpse of what these icebergs look like upside down and out of the water. They are beautiful IMO.

Read on for more....

While on an expedition in Antarctica this past December, interface designer and filmmaker Alex Cornell was treated to the rare sight of a massive iceberg that had recently flipped over, revealing an extraordinarily vivid blue underside. With the strikingly polished ice ranging in hue from light aqua to dark teal to near-black, this breathtaking specimen looks "more like a galactic artifact than anything terrestrial," according to Cornell in a discussion with Fstoppers.

Icebergs are normally white because of the air bubbles trapped inside, Jan Lieser, a marine glaciologist at the Antarctic Climate & Ecosystems Co-operative Research Center in Tasmania, tells the Sydney Morning Herald. The deep blue color of this iceberg indicates virtually no air inclusion, most likely as a result of pressure from accumulating snow squeezing out all the air.

What we see of an iceberg is only about 10 percent of its entirety, with the majority of the mass hidden beneath the surface of the water. Dr. Lieser explains, "While the iceberg is in the water it actually melts, so that balance becomes imbalanced and, at some stage, which nobody can really predict, these icebergs flip and turn." Those flips, which are extraordinary to witness, are even powerful enough to sometimes create tsunami-like conditions.

I don't know how many times I can say it but nature is absolutely amazing and stunning in it's beauty. It can be both terrifying in it's strength and power, and beautiful enough that you lose words to describe it at the same time. Not much else can compare with that IMO.

Here are more pics....

You can see/read more here -

www.mymodernmet.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Those are awesome pics. That first one looks just like melted glass.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
wow...it's like i'm seeing a type of blue i didn't know existed...
man i would love to take pictures like that myself.
But at least now i know what the now image background of my tablet will be!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

You're welcome for your new background...
j/k

I agree about the "blue". I guess I stared at the pictures for a full few minutes just taking it in. It is indeed an awesome shade of blue to look at. I love seeing photographs that you could swear are photoshopped.... but aren't.

edit on 2/21/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Very beautiful what lies underneath.
The amazing pics reminded me of an amazing artist I love Zaria Forman who seems to have the essence of the ice flowing through her and out her hands into some of the most beautiful pastel artworks I've enjoyed.
(Sorry about the pic influx! But she's totally worth it
)

And her command over light and colour and movement makes me ill with jealousy!

edit on 21-2-2015 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

Man!!! That last picture is breathtaking! Thanks for sharing those. She's got some real talent there for sure!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Magnificent!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

I looked at those before reading your paragraph. Then had my mind blown when I scrolled down and saw they weren't pictures. Amazing! Thanks for those.

And thanks for the pics in the OP as well, Kangaruex4Ewe!

Now if only someone would photoshop a UFO in the ice and start a thread in the UFO forums!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Well... You haven't given anyone nearly enough time to photoshop a semi good image into the pics yet. Have faith.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

I looked at those before reading your paragraph. Then had my mind blown when I scrolled down and saw they weren't pictures. Amazing! Thanks for those.

And thanks for the pics in the OP as well, Kangaruex4Ewe!

Now if only someone would photoshop a UFO in the ice and start a thread in the UFO forums!

OP's picture is a fake, this is the real one

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Breathtakingly beautiful, nature at its finest, thanks a lot for sharing!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

I knew that it wouldn't take long! Never lose hope is what I always say.

You caught me out. I was trying to hide the truth and I guess my skills just aren't up to par with you guys lol.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
lol is that blue
it looks green to me
am i colour blind?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Strange thing to discuss but those pictures are amazing so fair play

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Hang on, this thread has already established that an artist could have totally drawn this well enough to fool people into thinking it was a real photo. Therefore, I conclude your pic is nothing but a cheesy fake!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Latest reports state that Antarctica, although just starting to come out of its summer months, has the highest ever sea ice coverage, and also that the American coast guard had to rescue a ship caught in ice, just what is going on with global warming/climate change/next ice age?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
Latest reports state that Antarctica, although just starting to come out of its summer months, has the highest ever sea ice coverage, and also that the American coast guard had to rescue a ship caught in ice, just what is going on with global warming/climate change/next ice age?

Way to kill a thread...Debbie Downer!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: kayleighkitty

Could be that image is appearing different to you

Example being ... I have viewed my artwork on others comp screens and it appears subtly different

Photographs do not show the reality our eyes see ... How often have taken shot of something that blows your mind only to find that the photo seems mundane in comparison

I see aquamarine blue ... which is a combo of green and blue ... blue is a primary colour ... green is a secondary colour I.E. A combo of yellow and blue ... though when you study colour there are greens which contain red also as in olive green

You can always do the standard colour test

colorvisiontesting.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Well... You haven't given anyone nearly enough time to photoshop a semi good image into the pics yet. Have faith

OK ... This unadulterated version
Which clearly shows a Martian iceburg

Click on image to enlarge
edit on 21-2-2015 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
You may also like the thread on "Photos of Black Iceberg Go Viral on Reddit"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Interesting pictures/videos of different colored icebergs there too

edit on 21-2-2015 by Skywatcher2011 because: added photo

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join