It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force considering A-10 replacement

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Forensick
So if there is a new CAS platform to replace A-10, and availability and expense of F-35 mean it won't be able to fill the role, or we are engaged in long term fighting against insurgents and not nations where the F-35 golden hammer is not worth using on rusty old nails, what would be an ideal, but modern design.

So we want a BFO gun, could a directed energy weapon, say in next 20 years replace the GAU-8 or what about some sort of rail gun?

It's got to be tough, engines on top? Self fixing fuel tanks, shielded cockpit and avionics, multiple redundant fly by fire system, that nano skin that heals itself.

ability to fly fast and slow, variable geometry or lift fan?

Missiles, guided FFAR types? More accurate but perhaps data linked to an awesome acquisition computer (what are the ones with tungsten darts?)

SDB - ability to carry lots

Able to carry so much ordnance and fuel and stay on station, lifting body, 2 pilots or semi autonomous to relieve fatigue, could ferry and loiter unmanned?

Awesome target pod with ability to track lots of small targets, perhaps linked to the ground operators to assist in situational awareness and really accurate aiming (say can fire a small guided missile through a window in a block of flats).

Anyone want to design it?

give me a few billion and I'll have a good go.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Wings, at least one engine, a gun, two tails.

That'll be $75M for the design.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Oh, and don't forget the navalised version.
edit on 21-2-2015 by aholic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

Yes, sorry, I assumed "SE" stood for Strike Eagle.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel

No prob. We understood. Although the silent eagle in my opinion is one sexy ass jet...

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: boomer135

originally posted by: mbkennel

No prob. We understood. Although the silent eagle in my opinion is one sexy ass jet...
I was just going to say exactly that. It's a lovely looking aircraft. It doesn't seem to be doing so well for exports though. It's not all about looks I suppose.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

No it's pretty much dead now. Boeing lost the competition it was designed for and no one has shown interest in it since.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

No it's pretty much dead now. Boeing lost the competition it was designed for and no one has shown interest in it since.

Well...why buy a second hand car that nearly starts every time when you can have a brand new one that does start every time.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Exactly. The F-35 and other clean sheet designs do the same mission and you don't save enough with the SE to justify it.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

With all this pre talk of the JCAS Symposium and the F/A-xx, I have a feeling the Navy requirements are going to much favor the A over the F on this new platform, if you get my drift. Greenert's already saying it's going to be slow and low, sounds like Naval CAS to me. I think the AF would be quick to hand over the responsibilities of this mission to the Navy. Navy boys love to do CAS and aren't concerned with fancy expensive aircraft, they've got ships to build.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

A drone that can hover and also has supersonic speed with 2 30mm auto cannons. It will also carry air to air and air to ground missiles.

It will have links to the ground forces and could be controlled on the ground if needed. Think avatar style airframes. It would not only replace a10 but all combat helicopters. It would be powered by the new fission reactor currently being made by skunkworks.
edit on 22-2-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

I don't see how the capability to hover and engage in CAS would ever make it's way into a new CAS airframe. Staying in one spot in the air sounds like the exact opposite thing you should do once bullets start flying through the air. A-10s have caught bullets and shrapnel while flying through their engagement zone. I can only imagine how quickly a hovering aircraft would be disabled once it popped into a hover in the middle of a crossfire.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

VSTOL ,WAY over armored ,HUGE magazine,then we'll talk.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: justwanttofly

I don't see how the capability to hover and engage in CAS would ever make it's way into a new CAS airframe. Staying in one spot in the air sounds like the exact opposite thing you should do once bullets start flying through the air. A-10s have caught bullets and shrapnel while flying through their engagement zone. I can only imagine how quickly a hovering aircraft would be disabled once it popped into a hover in the middle of a crossfire.

That's why you don't stay in one spot. Apaches have been doing CAS missions for years now with relatively few losses.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Maybe the troopers here can juke up discussion on which is better, Apaches or Hogs? I'd like to hear this discourse.

From what I've heard, the enemy fears Apaches like noneother and have even come up with some pretty endearing names for her!

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   
So I did a Google hunt and found a few interesting "Variants":

Unfortunately I can seem to post images anymore so you may have to follow the links:

A-10 VTOL (rotating engines and lift fan):

Twin cannons, more sleek:

Lift Fan and adjustable cannon:

I like the second one alot!

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Been here before ....

The McDonnell Douglas/General Dynamics A-12 Avenger II

C..
edit on C20152102582015-02-23T03:58:21-06:004Monday58f by Cosmic4life because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: aholic

Maybe the troopers here can juke up discussion on which is better, Apaches or Hogs? I'd like to hear this discourse.

From what I've heard, the enemy fears Apaches like noneother and have even come up with some pretty endearing names for her!

I'd go with the Apache every time to be honest. The firepower the A10 brings to the game is just devastating and it will turn a sticky situation round on its head. The Apache on the other hand while its providing overwatch seems to scare the living # out of the enemy. They would just sit and watch you and wouldn't make a move while the Apache was overhead. The apache pilots always seemed on the ball when it came to providing a more built up picture of what was going off on the ground around you. A lot of them are ex infantry and could relate to your situation. They knew what you needed and when.The 30mm does everything the GAU does but it's a lot more direct. Obviously different people will have different opinions but the Apache in my experience just made you feel safe, like somebody had your back. The pilots of both platforms seem to have the same mentality though and it sometimes makes you wonder if they would rather have been on the ground by your side. They'd always go the extra mile and happily draw fire in the process. I'd buy a pint for any A10, Apache, Chinook or Pedro pilot any day of the week. Awesome people and blessed with balls of steel the lot of them.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Whatever they replace it with, I'm sure they'll still be using DU rounds.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: aholic

It's difficult...

The AH64 is a more versatile platform. It has a more dynamic choice of weapons and is good for ISTAR due to the low speed and stand off ability. The 30mm is good for people and vehicles, Hellfire for buildings and vehicles and 37mm for treelines. However if I need a tree line destroyed (pretty common) the A10s cannon does it like no other.

The AH64 takes a while to turn up, while the A10 is on target quicker.

The enemy are sh1t scared of both, which is good enough for me.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join