It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 "satellites" or what?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Beware, this might not be what you expected. This is just stupid probably. I figured the Space Exploration forum is correct forum, as there are lots of knowledge about space-related issues with you guys. Mods feel free to move the thread to chit-chat if that's more okay.

So, here it goes: i was hiking back to home, while gazing the clear night sky. Suddenly i noticed 2 dim lights, travelling tightly together, "just an finger-wide apart", travelling in same direction, which was between South-East / East, i was looking them from at western coast of Finland. Timing was about 18.00 GMT.

On spot, i figured it might be ISS or something, could it be? This was second time i saw something like that. First time, 9 or 10 years ago i saw 2 bright lights pop up from the middle of the sky, it was weird, because in that first time, the "second light" appeared just after the first one, and seemed to accelerate a bit to shorten the distance from the first bright light. At the time, it REALLY seemed like those lights came from a space-teleport. Really, and i wasn't alone, nor under any wonderful substance.

So my question is, is it common to have 2 satellites to follow very near of each other? The spacing on them was "a finger wide" when i lifted my hand towards the sky.

I gaze the sky often, be it clouds, airplanes, sun, moon, or stars. And this was my second spotting of "twin sat's".. Anyone else with similar experiences?

Glad if you managed to read this far, i feel your frustration about the quality of the thread. SORRY FOLKS.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: menneni

My one and only sighting involved two lights that I thought were shooting stars until one of them zigzagged at high speed.

Knowing that fighters usually travel in at least pairs, if not groups, I think it may have been military and just something we don't know about yet. (since the movements would have turned a human into a pile of goo)

My vote is military.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
www.satobs.org...

Yes you can get double and triple satellite formations. Called Naval Ocean Surveillance System (NOSS) satellite formations

edit on 12/2/15 by EnigmaAgent because: spelling

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

If they have different heights , why not?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
There are three kind of satellite orbits, low orbit mid orbit and high orbit, could be they were in different height orbits, though they also goes at different speed.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

It doesn't necessarily have to be an unknown platform. I saw two yellow lights in formation over Omaha recently. Most likely F-16s out of Des Moines heading home. Or out of Sioux Falls, as they were heading more that way.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Oh yeah, reading your reply i remembered thinking on the spot that "This might be those black-budget/secret MIL projects, one of those super fast aircrafts which fly on the edge of space"

ofc, the following thought came afterwards: "can't wait to write some questions on ATS"

THANK GOD FOR ATS. *Waving the flag vigorously*

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
When there is a manned mission to ferry astronauts/cosmonauts or unmanned resupply missions to the ISS, you may see the spacecraft approaching the ISS, if you are lucky.

I believe that ATS member Phage was lucky enough to see that happen once.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Could be the ISS and a supply ship coming in or leaving. I've never seen any other close sets of satellites.

I'm not saying I see everything but I do pay attention to flyovers and try to get out and see them.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
It was clear for the while that they did travel the same speed, and seemingly kept the same distance (finger apart), going on a same vector.

I thought i saw some zig zagging with the latter one, but i shrugged it off as a atmospheric turbulance.

Does anyone know what is the probablity to see that pair again? g'damn, i need to go search for a map-overlay of known satellites.

61.596527, 21.836898
1800-1900 GMT
Travelling eastbound

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
NASA and SpaceX launched the DSCOVR satellite yesterday. It would have passed right overhead. There were three parts falling back to earth simultaneously, the two fairing pieces and the First Stage rocket. The launch was at 6pm Eastern Time in the US.

The second stage and satellite separated about 40 minutes later. The second stage would appear to be following the satellite at nearly the same speed. This would have probably been after several orbits if it was 1800GMT.
edit on 2/12/15 by emsed1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
And hey all, thanks for discussion, this is why i love ATS.

Gotta go off for while to enjoy sauna and a pint of beer. (what an excellent choice FYI)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: emsed1

Good info, that might be it.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

First of all, there are satellites that do move in pair or in threes. The U.S. Navy "NOSS" satellites can be seen as two or three lights moving in formation.

Secondly, maybe one of the sightings you had was the space station (ISS) plus something that was either docking with it or had just undocked with it. Soyuz capsules, "Progress" resupply ships, the SpaceX Dragon supply craft, the and even the Space Shuttle (while it was operational) would travel in concert with the ISS for a while prior to docking and just after undocking.

I once had the opportunity to see the space shuttle and the ISS traveling together soon after the space shuttle undocked from it. It was two bright lights close to each other in the sky, one moving behind the other.

edit on 2/12/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

*disclaimer* i'm high because couple pints of some strong beer. What o' wonderful sauna-session.

And by the way, those muricans are crazy because they are being dry (hair) at the sauna. That's freaking crazy.

Thanks for the post. TIL about NOSS, thanks EnigmaAgent and SoylentGIP.

About that first sighting years ago, well it's probable my mind playing tricks about the sighting, but how i recall it, the "teleportation" was noticeable, while it can be because of the sun-reflection, and acceleration of second light might just be some sort of delay in "eye-to-brain-information" but the acceleration was also noticeable, and far beyond the speed of docking/undocking of any vehicle. Nevertheless, i don't give my first sighting too much appreciation because of the unknowns.

I'm convinced that todays sighting was either a ISS, murican MIL-secret or related to DSCOVR satellite. Dunno what to pick.

aaand SoylentGIP, i'm genuinely jealous of your undocking sighting.

edit on 02America/Chicago22America/Chicago252 by menneni because: reflexión

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People
I once had the opportunity to see the space shuttle and the ISS traveling together soon after the space shuttle undocked from it. It was two bright lights close to each other in the sky, one moving behind the other.

That was pretty cool to see. We got to see it too, going over Hawaii. We even made a family outing of it in the yard to watch it.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Keep in mind, however, that the ISS is a large array of solar panels and tubes. While it is fairly easy to spot, it would be doubtful that the naked eye could see one of the relatively tiny supply bots. And even if you could glimpse it, the differences in the brightness of the reflection from the two would be striking.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I'd say it's most likely a couple of sats. My wife and I were once on our London balcony at 3 am looking out for a predicted -8 magnitude (BRIGHT!) Iridium flare. We saw it bang on time and then as it was fading ,my wife said "what's that following it?)

I looked up again and sure enough, another -8 flare happened just behind it in pretty much the same direction. Seconds and a fingers width apart. It was super cool.

The funny thing is that second flare wasn't on any prediction site, but i heard they miss some occasionally.
edit on 12-2-2015 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Correct. I've tried looking for the Dragon chasing the ISS. ..no way possible with the naked eye. Unless you are in the middle of the desert. Anyone know what magnitude the Dragon and other supply crafts would be at?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

First of all, there are satellites that do move in pair or in threes. The U.S. Navy "NOSS" satellites can be seen as two or three lights moving in formation.

Secondly, maybe one of the sightings you had was the space station (ISS) plus something that was either docking with it or had just undocked with it. Soyuz capsules, "Progress" resupply ships, the SpaceX Dragon supply craft, the and even the Space Shuttle (while it was operational) would travel in concert with the ISS for a while prior to docking and just after undocking.

Not saying it didn't happen mate, but I'm dubious about you spotting the space shuttle docking at the ISS because the shuttle is so much smaller and not covered in huge solar panels that reflect the sun.

If it was the shuttle, surely it would have been MUCH fainter? Also, was the shuttle ever visible with the naked eye? I'm lying in bed ready to sleep, so can't check now. Could be wrong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join