It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Catastrophic Shutdown Of America's Supply Chain" Begins: Photos Of West Coast Congestion

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I'll take half the pay, be there in 3 days.

link   
Yep Stirling, I bet there's plenty of folks out there that would be glad to do these kind of jobs for A Lot Less! Thanks for your reply
Arjunanda a reply to: stirling

link   
a reply to: Daedal

You would probably end up dead.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

Exactly. They should put giant signs allover the ports saying something along the lines of "If you don't want to become unemployment statistics, get back to work." Hell, or fire 100 of them, strip their benefits then tell the rest the management is willing to put their families out on the streets if they don't get back to work. How much more money do they need?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
This picture was sent to us by our operations manager who went out to Long Beach to personally handle logistics with our drayage companies.

We import 60% of the product we sell and this has been going on since November.

Notice all the container vessels in the background waiting for a dock to open.

I feel like my dad's Christmas present to me is in of those containers. Stupid shippers! Give me my daddy's store-bought love!

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
I feel like my dad's Christmas present to me is in of those containers. Stupid shippers! Give me my daddy's store-bought love!

So are the 12 Vietnamese hook...erm, I mean brides I ordered for myself.

Hopefully the air holes are not blocked.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleClassWhiteBoy
And yes buy American is great! Unfortunately American made is quite expensive for the average middle class American family of 4 making $45k a year. Take clothes for example. Yeah Filson is great, talk about American quality, but who can afford $209 for a flannel when Carhart made in China has them for $30.

That doesn't have to be true at all.. I now make socks.. Lol.. And I looked up the prices online they are 5 dollars for 6 pairs..
That's with me making $10/hr starting pay.

You guys are being lied to about how much things need to cost. Ever been in charge of orders for retail?? Haha, manufacturing costs are not even the biggest portion of any product. A lot of the time packaging and marketing, are the costs, and of course mark up. Those things happen in the US no matter where the product is made.

More businesses should be encouraged to work in the US.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal
I'll take half the pay, be there in 3 days.

The Unions need to be careful.

Mexico is getting into that business !!

Watch out !!

There is a plan in the works.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

So are the 12 Vietnamese hook...erm, I mean brides I ordered for myself.

Hopefully the air holes are not blocked.
Twelve of them?! Okay, okay... Twelve isn't bad. I've got enough knives for all of them. Don't worry Railgun, he still loves you! He's just.. testing you, yeah! Testing!

[/yandere]

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
These seem to be container ports, with something of a monopoly on berthing accommodation and draft.

The Western Seaboard has four major deep water gateways, Vancouver, Seattle / Tacoma, San Oakland and Los Angeles / Long Beach Most West Coast ports have the potential to accommodate ships of 12,000 TEUs and above. Prince Rupert is the container port having the deepest berth depth and can technically accommodate the largest containerships currently designed.
But it also seems that they have conjestion problems anyway.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Well, since you seemed so eager to murder the hypotenuse I figured let me see how you do with a tetradecagon.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
But it also seems that they have conjestion problems anyway.

This is due to slow downs at all 27 west coast ports.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATF1886
Please i make 50k a year ill take half thier pay and not complain i work 80hrs a week please those guys have no idea how blessed they are!!!a reply to: arjunanda

I agree although they do live in Cali. Go to a cost of living calculator online. The simple one I found said that if you are making $50K in GA (I have no idea where you live, I just took the option they started with), you would need at least $84K to have a comparable living in San Fran or $65K for LA-Bakersfield.

I know at one point we investigated what base salary my husband would have to explore for a sideways move to Cali and he would have to be getting $120K base, and we live nowhere near like we make that much where we're at.

Although yeah, for the guys who've put in the years to be making the top of the pay scale ... this seems like the baseball players going on strike. Really excessive in this economy.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

My grandfather worked at a place once, where the union demanded a strike. Well, one day when he went back to work all the guys found the doors chained and an out of business sign on the wall of the building.

This won't happen here, however, there are people who will do this job, or some aspects of it for less wages.

When l used to work in a shipyard, along with longshoreman, these guys made good money. How much more do you need.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Nvm, misread your post.
edit on 12-2-2015 by Yeahkeepwatchingme because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: KnightLight

originally posted by: MiddleClassWhiteBoy
And yes buy American is great! Unfortunately American made is quite expensive for the average middle class American family of 4 making $45k a year. Take clothes for example. Yeah Filson is great, talk about American quality, but who can afford $209 for a flannel when Carhart made in China has them for $30.

That doesn't have to be true at all.. I now make socks.. Lol.. And I looked up the prices online they are 5 dollars for 6 pairs..
That's with me making $10/hr starting pay.

You guys are being lied to about how much things need to cost. Ever been in charge of orders for retail?? Haha, manufacturing costs are not even the biggest portion of any product. A lot of the time packaging and marketing, are the costs, and of course mark up. Those things happen in the US no matter where the product is made.

More businesses should be encouraged to work in the US.

$10 hr? Are you kidding? I was making $8 an hour in 1997 working at Home Depot. 2001 I was making $11 an hour. $10 is a f'ing joke! In the year 2015? And I don't mean to ridicule you at all. It's tough out there but my god $10 hr is poverty wages in America.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It seems easy to just change ports but the nwo does not work like that. If customs does not allow it then they will not get permission in the us and depnding on the pull with other gov. they may get rejected there too.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Actually to me that picture looks fairly typical of port operations. having been to some on the eastern seaboard. But it does show the complexity of the operations and it really irks me that these workers think more of themselves and their overpaid wages that they don't mind shutting down other people's livelihoods. When a trucker sits still waiting to load or unload, he doesn't make a dime, and it really has a direct effect right there.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleClassWhiteBoy

Tell me about it. I have plenty of friends making $10 an hour and either being extremely frugal or having 2 or 3 part time jobs. Not a good economy.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: AreUKiddingMe

I am at Port Newark/Elizabeth/New York regularly and it has never been that dense or had containers stacked so high across the yard.

This year's slow down on the west coast is the worst all of us can remember.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join