It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animal slaughterer's got to be the worst people on earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
www.petatv.com...

I don't know about you but if I worked there I wouldn't be watching the cows suffer on the floor while they had their trachea cut, I wouldn't be kicking blood in their face while they lie there in pain.

Watch the clip if you like maybe it will change the way you look at meat..
There are many ethical ways to treat these animals, this is definitely not one of them.

Do NOT buy from Rubashkin�s and Aaron�s Best meats.

go to www.goveg.com for more info on this subject.

U.S. Agriculture Department investigators are checking a kosher slaughterhouse in Postville, Ia., that animal-rights activists have accused of abusing cattle.

Des Moines Register

Looks like other media outlets are after these people too

New York Times article:

www.petascript.org...

[edit on 16-12-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Okay, this comes straight from a country girl who has no problem eating a steak, or the fact that animals are raised for human consumption.

I absolutely do not understand WTF this would be happening. This is the most inefficient, inhumane and dangerous (from the standpoint of the workers) methodology I could think of.

Why aren't these cattle being taken out with a bolt-gun just as soon as they are loaded into the machine? I have no problem with cattle-prods being used to move the cattle into the machine...but from the point they're in there - everything else in this video is hideous, inhumane, and just downright stupid.

I don't trust PETA as far as I can throw them, but if this video is legit...I'm with you on boycotting. I've never heard of this meat company - odds are it services the northeast, but I will watch to make sure my dollars don't fund this company.

Thank you for sharing.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
OH! Kosher...now I'm catching on why they are being bled first.

Welp - being the good little gentile I am, I'm glad to be able to say not a cent of my money is going toward this.

shame shame shame

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Valhall, WTF do you mean IF its legit????? You think its faked?????

Is this the first time you've ever seen slaughter? thats very very common practice. obscene, but common. Thats why vegans dont eat meat, simply because they dont agree with what you just saw ans similar treatment of animals pre and during slaughter! Yet folk who eat meat dont want to see this stuff, they just assume vegans are weakminded! i dont think even folk who eat meat, can not be appalled at such cruel, unessesary and inhumane treatment of an animal. Many however choose to ignor it.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by instar

Is this the first time you've ever seen slaughter? thats very very common practice. obscene, but common. Thats why vegans dont eat meat, simply because they dont agree with what you just saw ans similar treatment of animals pre and during slaughter! Yet folk who eat meat dont want to see this stuff, they just assume vegans are weakminded! i dont think even folk who eat meat, can not be appalled at such cruel, unessesary and inhumane treatment of an animal. Many however choose to ignor it.

instar - are you capable of settling down?

I don't think it's fake. And it's absolutely okay for me to take a PETA product with a grain of salt until it is proven "not manipulated". No, I believe it. And get something straight - what is depicted in this video is NOT common place for most slaughtering houses - I happen to be kin to some one in supervision of an EXCEL slaughterhouse and they absolutely don't do it this way. A bolt-gun shot to the head drops them.

This method has to do with Kosher killing requirements and bleeding the animal.

Please stop freaking out when you don't agree with me. It's aggravating.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

instar - are you capable of settling down?

I don't think it's fake. And it's absolutely okay for me to take a PETA product with a grain of salt until it is proven "not manipulated". No, I believe it. And get something straight - what is depicted in this video is NOT common place for most slaughtering houses - I happen to be kin to some one in supervision of an EXCEL slaughterhouse and they absolutely don't do it this way. A bolt-gun shot to the head drops them.

This method has to do with Kosher killing requirements and bleeding the animal.

Please stop freaking out when you don't agree with me. It's aggravating.

Chill out, your the one that said "if its legit", why did you say that?
And it IS common, maybe not where your from, but Australia exports mostly to the middle east and they demand that, its very common!
I never mentioned Peta at all, and I didnt say I didnt agree with you either.
Btw im not a vegetarian either so please dont assume so because I didnt like that video.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Chill out, your the one that said "if its legit", why did you say that?
And it IS common, maybe not where your from, but Australia exports mostly to the middle east and they demand that, its very common!
I never mentioned Peta at all, and I didnt say I didnt agree with you either.
Btw im not a vegetarian either so please dont assume so because I didnt like that video.

I said "if it's legit" because I don't trust PETA. I think I explained that. I'm not saying I don't believe it, I'm just saying PETA doesn't always shoot straight.

Thanks for the info on the Australian meat-processing industry. Just another reason to make sure I buy home-grown beef.

I don't think I insinuated you were a vegatarian...did I?

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Sorry Val, misinterpretation of tone on my behalf. my apology! so easy to misinterprate text, thats why i like smileys.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I'll tell you something else that really floors me about this occurring in the U.S. I can't believe OSHA hasn't come down on this company. And I won't be surprised if they don't after the release of this video.

You've got a one ton animal flopping around and a guy on a blood-soaked slick floor with that animal trying to put a lifting chain on it while it's thrashing around.

Man o man.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Im guessing thats occupational saftey and health association. yeah I can see a law sue if someone gets hurt. cant say I could feel pity for the person though, I know its his job, but kicking blood in its face??? Callus B******d! I think they'd have to carry hefty insurance?

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Giminy...I couldn't find the thread for a minute!

I think things are going to change just because of that - probably more so the health and safety issues than the inhumane process. But whatever gets it changed

Because this is terrible.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I've suggested it before in other similar threads, and I'll do so again here...

I cannot emphasize how much reading Slaughterhouse: The Shocking Story of Greed, Neglect, and Inhumane Treatment Inside the U.S. Meat Industry by Gail Eisnitz will change your perspective on the consumer driven meat market and where that steak last was that you're putting in your mouth...

For some, it's enough to go veggan....For me, it's enough to become buddy buddy with my butcher and fish monger and make sure that I'm getting what they know is the best of the best - I'd suggest everyone do the same - And elimnate that middle man in your meat processing as much as possible (ie...kill the animal and butcher it yourself, or have it butchered by a friend)

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

For some, it's enough to go veggan....For me, it's enough to become buddy buddy with my butcher and fish monger and make sure that I'm getting what they know is the best of the best - I'd suggest everyone do the same - And elimnate that middle man in your meat processing as much as possible (ie...kill the animal and butcher it yourself, or have it butchered by a friend)

This is ABSOLUTELY the best road to go...your local butcher. Try to avoid the mass market on any meat product. In my area, which very rural and part of cattle country, it is easy to get locally raised beef at the local butcher. I'm sure it might be a bit harder to confirm the origin of stuff in a more urban environment.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

This is ABSOLUTELY the best road to go...your local butcher. Try to avoid the mass market on any meat product. In my area, which very rural and part of cattle country, it is easy to get locally raised beef at the local butcher. I'm sure it might be a bit harder to confirm the origin of stuff in a more urban environment.

Thankfully in Toronto we don't have to worry about that. We got a farmers market where the Farmers come down to sell thier stuff directly to the consumer. I personally believe people who work in Slaughter Houses are pretty good people, you just gotta have a strong stomach to do the work. And BTW I highly doubt the animals suffer all that much. I gotta Cattle skull up on my wall with a hole in between the horns and I cannot for the life of me believe that it hurt all that much. Usually trauma to the brain(ie getting a bolt through the skull) is painless. I know it may be gruesom to some people but 'Tis the cycle of life. BTW TrueLies are you a Vegan?

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Thankfully in Toronto we don't have to worry about that. We got a farmers market where the Farmers come down to sell thier stuff directly to the consumer. I personally believe people who work in Slaughter Houses are pretty good people, you just gotta have a strong stomach to do the work. And BTW I highly doubt the animals suffer all that much. I gotta Cattle skull up on my wall with a hole in between the horns and I cannot for the life of me believe that it hurt all that much. Usually trauma to the brain(ie getting a bolt through the skull) is painless. I know it may be gruesom to some people but 'Tis the cycle of life. BTW TrueLies are you a Vegan?

That's awesome...Our farmer's market doesn't sell meats, but we do have an organic supermarket that gets its meat from local farmers...same difference I guess...

I agree that most workers in slaughterhouses aren't intentionally cruel or mean-spirited people...they have have tough jobs and get paid squat....but if you pick up that book I mentioned - there are a lot of first hand accounts of how screwed up those butcher lines can be....people missing the cattle with the gun and infliciting a painful blow first before they're put out of their misery...or in some cases...they rush the line so quick that the stunner doesn't have time to finish off the animal and they're sent down the line kicking and making noises - usually the next person can't get close enough to do their job 100% without being kicked in the face by a cow...sometimes they get several of these in a row just b/c of the mayham they cause...

Not to mention accounts of when they aren't hooked in right and fall, still alive, several stories in the plant, missing or hitting workers as it may be, into feces, cleaning liquids, or already contaminated blood and/or processed meats, only to be put back up for butchering....

[edit on 12/16/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
I gotta Cattle skull up on my wall with a hole in between the horns and I cannot for the life of me believe that it hurt all that much. Usually trauma to the brain(ie getting a bolt through the skull) is painless. I know it may be gruesom to some people but 'Tis the cycle of life. BTW TrueLies are you a Vegan?

No i'm not a vegan, i'd rather be a vegan then a meat eater though, eating fruits and vegetables are alot healthier for me, i gain weight easily so a healthy diet consisting of fruits, veggies, and grain are best for me.

If you watched the video you would of seen that they didn't blow holes in the cows' heads.. I understand it's the cycle of life, but there are better ways to go about it. this clearly wasn't one of them.

EOH, thanks for book tip, I've orded too many books off amazon to count so when I get through my stack i'll have to order this one too...

on a side note, these people that work in slaughter houses, I don't know them personally, I don't know their life history, but if your making crap money and killing cows (which would be a tough thing to do imo) nobody is making these people stay in these jobs. I'm going by the video I watched on this and they do not seem like very nice people...

Gandhi once said that you can judge a culture by the way they treat their animals.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Lol, TL I really have no desire to watch a slaughter house vid, I can't really stand the sight of suffering or blood. Enron I'll check out that book as well sounds interesting(I can read about it though). I for one am all for some animal rights, but I also know that without meat I can't live(or don't want to
so that is why I get all my meat straight from the Farmers....well the real reason I get it off of them is cuz they taste better but this just gives me another reason ) I totally agree that some of these workers can be cruel to the animals, but just dealing with the farmers at the St. Lawrence Market I cannot believe all of them are bastards like that. Heck Toronto still has a slaughter house in the middle of a bunch of Condos
Man I would hate to live near there. I believe the main problem with livestock is the Feed we are shoving down thier throat. We are forcing these animals to be Canibals(to a certain extent that is). And that is dangerous to us and them.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   

And BTW I highly doubt the animals suffer all that much.

Lol, TL I really have no desire to watch a slaughter house vid, I can't really stand the sight of suffering or blood.

These seem contradictory statements!

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
The problem with a highly evolved society with mass communication is that you have a plethora of fanatics who can communicate over large distances and organize their pathologies into abominations such as PETA. You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. You can't get a steak without shedding some blood.

It has never been any different; it will never be any different. Humans are ominverous mammals. We eat meat and we are not alone.

top topics

join