It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wife beaten by Domestic Violence Judge Spouse; No lawyer would take the case

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
First attorney she called spent 40 minutes trying to dissuade her, he now represents the judge.

The wife of a respected county judge claims her husband beat her unconscious - but no attorney in the Florida district would hear her case.

Hillsborough Circuit Judge Eric Myers, who was appointed by Jeb Bush in 2000, was arrested at 2am on Saturday January 17 on suspicion of punching his wife Shirley Myers until she passed out in front of their five-year-old daughter at home in Tampa.

But Mrs Myers said she couldn't get anybody to take on the domestic violence case against her 'well-respected' husband, who regularly hears abuse cases.

'Some people had told me they didn't want to ruin their reputation of their firm, that they knew him, worked with him or they were scared,' Mrs Myers told a hearing in Tampa.

'No one from Hillsborough County was going to help me because Eric is part of Hillsborough County and they stick together.'

Is anyone surprised by this comment? Anyone? Anyone? *crickets* Yeah, I didn't think so either.

She says her hair was pulled and she eventually passed out before waking to hear her daughter shout: 'Daddy stop hitting mommy.'

Police reponded to a call early on Saturday January 17 and detained Judge Myers, who was released after posting $500 bail, The Tampa Bay Tribune reported.

But according to Mrs Myers, the first attorney she approached, Julia Chase, spent 40 minutes on the phone trying to dissuade her.

Chase is now representing Judge Myers.

Ain't that a witch! The best part of the article in my opinion, she's trying to get him dismissed from the case, since she told him things about the abuse to try and get him to take the case in the first dang place. Judge DENIED it.

Hillsborough Judge arrested on domestic violence charge

Myers’ wife told investigators he hit her in the face and on the head with an open and closed fist at about 9:30 p.m. Friday, according to an arrest report. Deputies later tracked Myers to the courthouse, sheriff’s spokesman Larry McKinnon said, where he acknowledged grabbing her hair and striking her with an open palm, causing redness and swelling near her right ear.

Mark Cox, spokesman for the Hillsborough State Attorney’s Office, said no one in his office will handle the case. “We will be referring it to the governor’s office and they will appoint a special prosecutor,” he said.

He ADMITTED assaulting her! For flick sake! And no lawyer would take her case. Dumbfounded. I know I shouldn't be, but I am.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
As unfamiliar as I am with most aspects of legal issue, isn't the fact that this lawyer first talked with the wife for 40 minutes before representing the accused judge be considered conflict of interest?

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
And the System rolls on.

I am not at all surprised.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ArchAngel_X

Yes.

Whether she was breaking the law yet or not is unknown. I don't think the attorney was on retainer yet. If she hadn't taken either of the clients as official "clients" at that point I imagine she still wasn't breaking any rules. Technically.

I imagine it would depend on state law though.

Either way I don't really see anything wrong with it being assigned a different prosecutor. It would depend on the level of separation that is needed. Hopefully an attorney will be appointed.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology
a reply to: ArchAngel_X

Yes.

Whether she was breaking the law yet or not is unknown. I don't think the attorney was on retainer yet. If she hadn't taken either of the clients as official "clients" at that point I imagine she still wasn't breaking any rules. Technically.

I imagine it would depend on state law though.

Either way I don't really see anything wrong with it being assigned a different prosecutor. It would depend on the level of separation that is needed. Hopefully an attorney will be appointed.

That's what I thought too. The technical legality tight rope this lawyer is walking is really up there, but also too I imagine she told this lawyer things that would give him insight to the case and now how best to defend his client from them. REALLY tight rope with legality in my opinion. How the judge didn't kick the attorney off the case is beyond me just on appeal alone!

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Unfortunately the biggest witness is their daughter and kids generally make bad witnesses especially involving tattling on an adult.

Also the cops who spoke with him when he admitted to striking her.

Also if she didn't go to the hospital she was stupid, especially if he knocked her out.

So yeah, hopefully he gets his comeuppance but if not I hope she stays away for good. Unfortunately, I have zero confidence in our justice system.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Unfortunately the biggest witness is their daughter and kids generally make bad witnesses especially involving tattling on an adult.

Also if she didn't go to the hospital she was stupid, especially if he knocked her out.

So yeah, hopefully he gets his comeuppance but if not I hope she stays away for good. Unfortunately, I have zero confidence in our justice system.

Having been through our justice system for various things, I quite agree.

No confidence.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

Having been through our justice system for various things, I quite agree.

No confidence.

Its no better in the UK or Australia, best trying to keep away from it!

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

years ago i worked for a high court judge whom used to beat his wife and son....he was a piece of work....no suprise at all about this...and i bet the thug gets away with too,these legal types tend to stick together

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

years ago i worked for a high court judge whom used to beat his wife and son....he was a piece of work....no suprise at all about this...and i bet the thug gets away with too,these legal types tend to stick together

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArchAngel_X
As unfamiliar as I am with most aspects of legal issue, isn't the fact that this lawyer first talked with the wife for 40 minutes before representing the accused judge be considered conflict of interest?

Absolutely.

She needs to go outside the district to find an attorney.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I'm confused. The DA is referring it to the state for a special prosecutor. What does she need a lawyer for? A civil suit? It doesn't say in the article. The criminal prosecution has nothing to do with her getting a lawyer.

Also not surprised this is in Florida. Some very corrupt stuff going on here often.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

I'm confused. The DA is referring it to the state for a special prosecutor. What does she need a lawyer for? A civil suit? It doesn't say in the article. The criminal prosecution has nothing to do with her getting a lawyer.

Also not surprised this is in Florida. Some very corrupt stuff going on here often.

To sue the lawyer who listened to her divulge information then represented the other party.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

OK, well NOW that might be the case... why was she talking to that lawyer for 40 minutes in the first place? A civil suit?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

OK, well NOW that might be the case... why was she talking to that lawyer for 40 minutes in the first place? A civil suit?

How would I know?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

LOL. I have no idea, but you had an answer the first time I asked the question. I'm just clarifying and throwing it out there in case somebody does.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

LOL. I have no idea, but you had an answer the first time I asked the question. I'm just clarifying and throwing it out there in case somebody does.

Maybe to divorce her husband. She would need a lawyer for that. It would give her husband an unfair advantage that she spoke to his attorney thinking he might represent her. Not knowing for sure, but a guess. That, or she wanted a lawyer to represent her rights in court knowing how powerful he was when the court prosecuted him for his assault on her.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   

That's what I first thought too, but the article said they had filed for divorce and it was ongoing. I just checked on the lawyer in question. Not sure why I didn't think to do that before. She's listed as a divorce lawyer so you're probably right on that. Not to excuse some questionable behavior by the lawyer, but who in their right mind would even bother to try hiring a divorce lawyer who is in his jurisdiction. I would have been looking outside the jurisdiction, just seems like common sense.

Judges get away with murder. Hopefully this won't get swept under the rug like they often do.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
This same EXACT thing happened to my buddy!
His ex left him for another man in May of 2014, hasnt paid a DIME in support for their 4 kids, whom are in his custody. He spoke to a lawyer that we both thought we knew pretty good that specializes in these cases. He turned down the case and referred him to another lawyer.

3 months later, he is representing HER. I called the NC Bar Association to find out if this was legal, as he told the lawyer his side of the story, and apparently it is completely legal; the lawyer wasnt my buddy's attorney at the time.
I think its bullcrap.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
This same EXACT thing happened to my buddy!
His ex left him for another man in May of 2014, hasnt paid a DIME in support for their 4 kids, whom are in his custody. He spoke to a lawyer that we both thought we knew pretty good that specializes in these cases. He turned down the case and referred him to another lawyer.

3 months later, he is representing HER. I called the NC Bar Association to find out if this was legal, as he told the lawyer his side of the story, and apparently it is completely legal; the lawyer wasnt my buddy's attorney at the time.
I think its bullcrap.

See, personally I think this is conflict of interest and should be as illegal as all get out.

Some seriously messed up crap!

<<   2 >>

join