It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police recover elderly man's wedding band after he sold it to buy food

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Public relations does go a long way. If it's sincere. If it's used to calm the masses so the status quo is prevalent, it's useless. I hope it was sincere because it was a nice story.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: kamatty
a reply to: VoidHawk

exactly! these are just pr stunts, they last a day on the news, maybe the story gets tweeted and facebook, and everyone makes a donation to this man and his wife, and we all feel better because we feel like we care and helped fix the problem. we can then carry on with our lives and forget about the rest.

Glad you can see through the bs

"and we all feel better because we feel like we care"
I've mentioned elsewhere on this site, that many who claim to be charitable, are not, they give only because it makes them feel good.
Show pictures of starving children and they throw some money, then they sit back and feel good about it, meanwhile millions of children are still starving to death, and yet those who threw some money feel good!!!

Being charitable should not involve feeling good about oneself, indeed it ought to leave one feeling angry that we live in a world where children starve to death!!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Being charitable should not involve feeling good about oneself, indeed it ought to leave one feeling angry that we live in a world where children starve to death!!

Nothing wrong with feeling good about having committed a charitable act, even in some small manner. I think your attitude fosters a 'what's the use?' mentality. Keep in mind..."it is better to light one candle than curse the darkness"

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Nothing wrong with feeling good about having committed a charitable act, even in some small manner. I think your attitude fosters a 'what's the use?' mentality. Keep in mind..."it is better to light one candle than curse the darkness"

I know my "attitude" is not welcomed
However, that does not mean I am wrong!

I know people who donate to charrities via monthly direct debit donations. Once those donations are set up they sit back and feel good about themselves.
Meanwhile the numbers of starving children continues to increase.
I do not see any room for sitting back and feeling good about that!

I think its something like 92% of donation money can be used for running costs of the charrities!
To make that clear for others - You donate 100, and they KEEP 92 for themselves! passing on only 8 of your 100 donation to the starving kids!

If making a donation actualy helped to wipe out suffering, then great, I too might then feel good about helping.
However, all I can see is a giant scam. A scam that creams off 92% of the donations.
Its no wonder that the numbers continue to increase because the last thing they want is for the problem to go away, because if it did they'd have no way to get the "feel good" fools to keep throwing their money at them.

If people would actualy stop and think about whats going on they too would feel just as angry as I do, even when they've donated.

Instead of throwing money into the pockets of the scammers people should petition their governments to reverse the amount charrities can keep for themselves, let the charrity keep 8% and they MUST pass on the 92% to the starving. If that happened we'd see the end of child poverty.

So, is my "attitude" realy so wrong? or do you support the scammers?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

So, is my "attitude" realy so wrong? or do you support the scammers?

Well, isn't that the perfect 'straw man'? May as well ask me if I'm still beating my wife...lol!

I was speaking to charitable acts in general, you are berating me about agencies that skim a great deal off the top. Not what I was talking about. I don't support that kind of charity. Personally, I have a limited amount of money that I can donate on a regular basis. So I determine where I want it to go...easy-peasy. I can't fix everything, but I can light that candle. I don't bang a drum about it, but it's ok if I feel alright.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join