It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police recover elderly man's wedding band after he sold it to buy food

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
An amazing act of kindness.

Officers were called to a home in Cornwall, Ont. for what they thought was a domestic dispute. Instead, they discovered that the woman at the home was suffering from dementia, and her husband had pawned his wedding band.

The elderly man had sold his wedding band, which he'd worn for more than 50 years, to a consignment shop in downtown Cornwall. He had been trying to raise enough money to pay for food.

Later that week, police delivered a load of groceries – and the ring.

I do more than my share of questioning and criticizing police conduct. So for a change of pace I decided to share this story about some Canadian officers who are representing their profession above and beyond what is expected. They are shining examples for us all whether we wear the uniform or not.

Source
edit on 30-1-2015 by FraggleRock because: added source

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Awesome. THOSE are the men and women that deserve to wear the uniform. Maybe they now travel around, teaching police how to protect and serve.

Because that right there, that's how you protect and serve.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: FraggleRock

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock

Thank god for big hearted people

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Nice....
...The more people in the world like those officers the better the world will be for everyone

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing that.
What an awesome thing to do when they didn't have to do it.

I think this probably happens far more often than we hear about because as we all know... Bad news sells better than good news.

Just awesome.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   
They 'weren't' police officers. They were decent human beings, first and foremost. They just happened to be police officers as well.

That is to say, they didn't do this because they were police. They did this because they were human.

This story warms my heart. Thank you for sharing it.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I wonder if the Consignment store owner handed over the ring at cost or did he add the usual 100% mark up.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   
If it was the the US the police likely would have put bullets into them.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Nice, but what happens when they are hungry next week?
The system needs to change!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

exactly! these are just pr stunts, they last a day on the news, maybe the story gets tweeted and facebook, and everyone makes a donation to this man and his wife, and we all feel better because we feel like we care and helped fix the problem. we can then carry on with our lives and forget about the rest.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Nice, but what happens when they are hungry next week?
The system needs to change!

Actually, the cops plugged the elderly couple into the system so that they could get ongoing assistance.

The two responding officers alerted the Alzheimer Society and the Community Care Access Centre, but felt they could do more. So they took up a collection at the station and bought the couple $150 worth of groceries. Toronto Star

Nice,sometimes, to be wrong, eh?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Really?

I hope you find a tiny bit of kindness in the void you seem to reside in.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: crazyewok

Really?

I hope you find a tiny bit of kindness in the void you seem to reside in.

II hope you find a sense of humor.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

So that was a joke?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: crazyewok

So that was a joke?

Well the 6 people who stared me obviously thought so.

Still cant expect everyone to get dry British wit.

Anyway this is going far off topic.
edit on 30-1-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: FraggleRock

Officers were called to a home in Cornwall, Ont. for what they thought was a domestic dispute. Instead, they discovered that the woman at the home was suffering from dementia, and her husband had pawned his wedding band.

The elderly man had sold his wedding band, which he'd worn for more than 50 years, to a consignment shop in downtown Cornwall. He had been trying to raise enough money to pay for food.

Later that week, police delivered a load of groceries – and the ring.

I do more than my share of questioning and criticizing police conduct. So for a change of pace I decided to share this story about some Canadian officers who are representing their profession above and beyond what is expected. They are shining examples for us all whether we wear the uniform or not.

Source

Oh my goodness, how sad it is that the old man got so low that he had to pawn his wedding ring for food.

What is wrong with this picture? That elderly couple need help more than this, they need to be taken care of so they don't end up in that situation again.

That's nice the policemen did that, but they are going to have to help that couple next week when they run out of groceries.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

Please look a few posts up at JohnnyCanuck's post. It seems they thought of that too and helped with the long term care.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock

Thank you for posting this wonderful story god bless those canadian police.
edit on 30-1-2015 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
What a sick, twisted world we live in when elder citizens after working their whole life, have to go to such drastic measures, just to get enough to eat. Where the hell is the equity it that, when 80 ultra rich individuals have more wealth than the GNP of India and old people starve?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join