It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plants Communicate Using An Internet Of Fungus.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Cordyceps is one scarey fungus. Something write out of aliens. It takes control of the ant and brings it to a high elevation. Does not look like a nice way to go. But is shows how well fungi are intergrated into the animal kingdom..

purp..

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: AthlonSavage

Highly speculative it may be. But I for one think there may be some truth to it. There is nothing new under the sun and at best all we do as a species is mimick nature. One day we may become aware of a great intelliegence that surrounds us and re intergrate ourselves back into it..

wishfull thinking maybe..

purp..

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Oh dear. What will the vegetarians do now? Not a lot left to eat now is there? Who'd have thought plants were living things too?

On a less dry note, this is all pretty fascinating stuff, eh folks?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: AthlonSavage
We are only now going through a phase of rediscovery which could see some astounding break throughs over time. I realise this is highly speculative.

I see the internet as an expression of natural law so I think your speculation is actually observation. The most secure systems in nature have maximized beneficial connections between the components therein. So when humans are faced with disproportional power for their nourishment they endeavored to do the same with the internet. Our imagination invented from the unknown something that will help us greatly but it did so, perhaps unknowingly, following nature's pre-imminent laws of energy management. I think we can create stronger ways of living and accelerate the benefits of the imagination if we study nature more.

For the longest time people have characterized our world as fundamentally survival-of-the-fittest in a nihilistic sort of way, but now people are starting to take a second look at that and see nature as a self-evolving, self-complexifying system. If killing occurs it is in an act of balance as well as evolutionary competition. Nature knows that nothing lives forever, so of course survival-of-the-fittest as a factor of a larger system triggers more beneficial mutations/adaptations but, theoretically, the end goal is a higher evolution of the system as a whole.

There is so much left to learn about the world around us.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
That's an amazing discovery that made me burst into laughter for pretty much the entire night, well into the wee hours. It sounds ridiculously the work of some kook whose had one too many hits of acid. Yet, as the article proves and the research suggests, this could be a truly authentic truth about plant life that nobody should believe.
edit on 23-1-2015 by Asynchrony because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer
Cool thread.

And ya! Mushrooms and plants in forests have much a connection, but plants and bugs and wild animals are not the only things these fungi can infect, sometimes quite literally they make humans seek them out and ingest them, as if by magic. But anyways, the earthernet may not be as much a fairytale as people believe.

Oh look at this tree, I came across it last week, I think, on one of the Facebook links. I would say its been mushroomed.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

By linking to the fungal network they can help out their neighbours by sharing nutrients and information – or sabotage unwelcome plants by spreading toxic chemicals through the network.

well ... also can send out Warning and Distress calls too !

you know the Fresh Grass Smell! after you just Mowed your Lawn !

Its Actually a Distress call... to Other plants !

Reminds me of a Movie on Just that !! when you Speak of Spreading Toxic chemicals .. to Unwelcome Plants ...

The Happening
www.imdb.com...

Also Claims of Plants Communicate Miles Away..

Plants Communicate to Warn Against Danger
www.livescience.com...

Ohh Really Now ?

HUH?????

Brain-to-Brain Communication Thousands of Miles Away Proven a Reality by Harvard Researchers

Read more: naturalsociety.com...
Follow us: @naturalsociety on Twitter | NaturalSociety on Facebook

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
My background and training is in agricultural science, specifically, soil science, agronomy and horticulture. The symbiotic relationship between plants and fungi has been widely known for decades. Each new discovery is more fascinating than the last. The "new frontier" is in microbiology.

Symbiosis is baked into the cake, it's everywhere.

Antibiotics, in the general sense, are not good for our bodies. It's like trying to root out a thief in a city, by using an atomic weapon; a whole lot of good guys die in the process.

Who needs science fiction, when science is fantastic enough as it is? God does some pretty cool stuff.

Did you know there are multitudes of different species of fungi in and on your body right now? Some of your own biological processes rely on the action of fungi.

Did you know that most humans on earth have a microscopic mite that lives at the base of their eyelash?

Many plants would not survive without the beneficial fungi that intermingle with their roots. Kill the fungi, kill the plant.

Your digestive system would not work, if not for the action of bacteria that are entirely foreign to your body. They got in you originally from your mother's breast.

Oocytes. Fungal spores that swim, they look just like sperm. Obviously, they die without free water present.

Lichen; a fascinating organism. A symbiotic relationship between fungi and algae. A relationship termed mutualism.

Some researchers believe that the organelle, mitochondria, was at one time in the development of organisms, an entity all its' own, but was "captured", by the more advanced cell, to process the energy needs necessary for the cell. This symbiosis eventually lead to the development of higher organisms, and eventually, us. That's wild.

The largest living organism on earth, in both size and weight is a soil borne fungal network. I think they discovered it in a European forest. It's one organism, each cell genetically identical.

A mushroom is simply a fruiting body. The fungus is the hairlike network of "roots" called mycelia that grow in the ground. You wouldn't believe their size.

The toxins released by psychoD shrooms, is a defense mechanism. Animal cells react quite strangely to the toxin. The animal usually eats them only once. Brilliant.

Just some random thoughts, I could go on all night. It's such cool stuff.

edit on 23-1-2015 by Ignatian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Perhaps we can learn to communicate with plants trees and all forms of life, and learn from them, learn to live in harmony with other forms of life.
edit on 23-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord
Oh ya, some weird stuff out there in the plant world or in the world in general. Do you know for every species that goes extinct some other one seems to just pop up out of the blue one day, scientists are finding just as many new species they never found before as old ones are disappearing.

Plus sometimes your just walking around outside at the park and you find some weird bug that makes you go what the hell is that thing, dont you belong in Africa or something, what you doing just buzzing around here. Like this one in these guys vid, I mean what the hell is that thing? I am pretty sure I seen something like it before, but those pinchers are about the size of the penny. So nah, have not seen it before.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird

Oh ya, some weird stuff out there in the plant world or in the world in general. Do you know for every species that goes extinct some other one seems to just pop up out of the blue one day, scientists are finding just as many new species they never found before as old ones are disappearing.

Plus sometimes your just walking around outside at the park and you find some weird bug that makes you go what the hell is that thing, dont you belong in Africa or something, what you doing just buzzing around here. Like this one in these guys vid, I mean what the hell is that thing? I am pretty sure I seen something like it before, but those pinchers are about the size of the penny. So nah, have not seen it before.

I have the OMG WTF is that gene whenever I see bugs or even some ocean creatures in real life, even watching that makes me go OMFG they should be running!

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

i suspect the discovery of Cordyceps gave the sci fi writers quite a few new and interesting ideas ....

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Gahh I love mushrooms so much, star flag favorite anything you desire!

I truly believe when you take shrooms (a light dose wont make you "trip" mind you) you can tap into a higher, or at least another consciousness, and from reading McKenna's books I've come to a "conclusion" that it's the psilocybin in shrooms that allows us to tap into this consciousness.

So many people report a feeling of "oneness" after having a breakthrough experience on psychedelic drugs, does this not say enough? These people feel connected to EVERYTHING, only, it's duration is insignificant in comparison to the time the natural world has had to develop this consciousness, that we can't even begin to understand once we get a short vision of it.

I actually had the "luck" of having a psychotic breakdown where I reported feeling the exact same thing druggies happen to experience by chance. I only found out afterwards that there are eery similarities! I felt so connected to everything, I was not a separate individual, I was part of the greater whole, a ripple in the ocean that realizes it's nothing but wind in a body of water!

I hope this doesn't violate T&C, it's just such a fascinating subject to talk about!

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
well I know i have discovered several useful herbs (like Virginia creeper, an under reported ginseng type VINE) by um...
sitting down at the creek and just letting the fungi inspired thoughts guide me and taking the leaf sample presented to the Library...

and then letting my muse guide me to the reference material....

we may be more connected then most realize

PS
its how we learn to drop our blinders that counts

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
So how does it work, is the mucus like a radio or cellphone, communicating wireless, or does the roots have to be within a certain range to communicate or steal nutrients?

I only know of the magical dragon plant.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

i suspect the discovery of Cordyceps gave the sci fi writers quite a few new and interesting ideas ....

The interesting thing with regards to spores, is that their is a high chance that they can survive in space. They are even found in the higher reaches of earths atmosphere it not a great leap to assume that they could be blown off earth in the solar wind. Some serious research has been done. www.science-frontiers.com...

We might be on to something here it might be because the fungi, because of their powerful psychotropic methods, could be generating reality .In fact the aliens might have already taken over.

ditby]edit on 24-1-2015 by anonentity because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2015 by anonentity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Specimen

The roots of plants mix with the fungus networks that run through the ground. They have an interface between them in which they can share stuff..

and what they dragon plant..

purp..

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

Ty for the picture. A city of mushrooms on a tree..!

purp

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
a reply to: Specimen

The roots of plants mix with the fungus networks that run through the ground. They have an interface between them in which they can share stuff..

and what they dragon plant..

purp..

So the small electrical activity, around 1.5 volts is flowing, and activating what looks like a neural network of information. The fruiting bodies come up when the system decides, which is done virtually overnight, then various methods of dispersal come into play. Sometimes its herbivores that spread the fungi in dung. The whole ecosystem relies first on the bacteria to start digesting the dead bodies, after that the fungi establish themselves and remove the rest of the nutrient which is never wasted. Then produce spores for dispersal. If the whole ecosystem is just the sum of its parts, with everything relying, on everything else. The we have to assume that their is only one ecosystem, one life form, which is the sum of all these parts.

So where does this place the likes of Monsanto?
edit on 24-1-2015 by anonentity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Ya I am not sure what that bug is. I have seen it before though, somewhere, but cant quite place it. It looks like a ant queen, though its a bit bigger then the regular kinds. Most of those when you see they they look like long mosquito's with clear wings. It could be a different ant queen, one of the more bigger ant species around, or I dont know, I cant quite place it off the top of my head, but i am pretty sure I seen a bug like that before.

Its funny how it tries to defend itself from the dudes and that cat. Its not backing down, though it could just fly away.
edit on 10pmSaturdaypm242015f6pmSat, 24 Jan 2015 22:30:01 -0600 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join