It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO Military Committee has given the green light to create NATO bases in Baltics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I could not find any English source yet, currently it is only in local language. If any of the international media channels picks it up, I'll post the link here.

Today NATO Military Committee agreed to create NATO bases in 6 nations: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania and Bulgaria, according to the head of Lithuanian military. Although another meeting between the defense ministers of the nations needs to take place, who also have to agree with this decision. Possibly this meeting will take place at some point in February.

Personally, I am very happy to hear this. Considering the current situation in Ukraine, there is a certain in the air - what Russia tried to something similar in Baltic nations or any of these nations? No one wants the history to repeat, so this decision makes living in this area feel more secure.

edit on 22-1-2015 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
And with that I think the West has outmaneuvered Putin. Either the West gets 6 new bases that will curb Russia's expansionism; or they will use those 6 bases as a bargaining chip to get Russia out Ukraine. Either way it puts a stop to Putin's Empire before it even gets started.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
And with that I think the West has outmaneuvered Putin. Either the West gets 6 new bases that will curb Russia's expansionism; or they will use those 6 bases as a bargaining chip to get Russia out Ukraine. Either way it puts a stop to Putin's Empire before it even gets started.

Yeah, Like Putin didnt see this comming. We have had rapid reaction forces in Place in all these nations since before Christmas.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: spy66
Yeah, Like Putin didnt see this comming. We have had rapid reaction forces in Place in all these nations since before Christmas.

He's been banking on this occurrence.

Spread that butter just a little further, just a little thinner.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cabin
so this decision makes living in this area feel more secure.

Secure?
You think living with Nato in your nation makes you secure...
Are you serious or hilarious?
I dont know if im gonna cry or luagh at the utter stupidity.
Sheeps cant do anything exept be afraid of the dog and the
master...

The ONLY way to get security and to be safe is to work together..
But if your little box blocking your view cant be moved, your never
gonna see this....

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cabin

Today NATO Military Committee agreed to create NATO bases in 6 nations: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania and Bulgaria, according to the head of Lithuanian military. Although another meeting between the defense ministers of the nations needs to take place, who also have to agree with this decision. Possibly this meeting will take place at some point in February.

Personally, I am very happy to hear this. Considering the current situation in Ukraine, there is a certain in the air - what Russia tried to something similar in Baltic nations or any of these nations? No one wants the history to repeat, so this decision makes living in this area feel more secure.

Well, it's getting close to closing time and time to say "Buh bye." The guys on the Doomsday Clock might want to forward that 3 minutes to midnight to 1 minute to midnight as this is a provocation that could create serious issues.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Miccey

For those Baltic nations (who have been part of NATO for over a decade now, don't forget), being part of NATO is the only reason Russia isn't trying to stir the pot there with the old "poor ethnic Russians being treated badly" line.

Anyway, the OP doesn't have a source and it's also worth pointing out there is no such thing as a "NATO base" anyway. Any alliance forces sent to a NATO member, for whatever reason, will be based at existing facilities of the host nation. In such cases as a permanent deployment (like the USAF in the UK or British in Germany) again, these bases are not designated "NATO" bases, but are under the command of the nation based there, such as in the case of the UK RAF bases leased to the USAF for example...

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I haven't heard of 'full military bases' being opened in the Baltics by NATO. Like another poster said there is no 'NATO' base anywhere. There has been talk within NATO of developing a contingent under NATO command but it's pretty complicated and hasn't been accepted I don't think.

The only thing I've heard of is pre-positioning of equipment in the Baltics. The US has already deployed Tanks and AP carriers in Poland which will be stored at a Polish base and used during rotating exercises. I know more equipment pre-positioning was decided to be the best option to avoid expensive base costs yet still offer a rapid deployment capability of a credible deterrent. NATO was actively searching for locations to do this last I heard. Possibly this is what the OP has some info about???

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

NATO Air Base Geilenkirchen

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

Yup, a NATO base! Good point!

I think the forward location of the Baltics being so close to Russia would mean any NATO base would have to be ground units, a bit different from the base you mentioned. I know the cost of stationing troops in bases is the problem with NATO going forward with that plan...let alone the Russian response to it.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason
Stirring the pot has done for a while right now. Bronze night in 2007 in Tallinn would be the first example, although there have been more than enough complaints by russian government about the situation of estonian russians "discrimination". For example, the school system, where estonian is the main language and in russian schools they try to go for mixed language thing. Some subjects in estonian, some in russian. Russia does not like it, they do not like estonian "pushed" like that in Estonia... That is just a small example, there have been many.

Considering the history and the claims by russian authorities out of whom many still believe baltics should be part of russian empire, a threat does exist. No one, at least in Estonia, wants the history to repeart.

The source is here: [url] www.delfi.ee...[ /url]

Lithuanian one: www.delfi.lt...

I apologise for my translation, if there were some mistakes. staabid in direct translation would mean bases, although techically these might mean a different thing.

Same to you.
edit on 22-1-2015 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Aye, the UK has done the same - we have an entire armoured Battlegroup from the 3rd Division forward deployed and engaged in exercise with the Polish:

Operation Black Eagle

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

Hah, I stand corrected, although that does appear to be the exception as it is the only "dedicated" NATO base I can find any mention of - all others are simply ordinary bases from the host nation, such as Aviano in Italy, while it is heavily used by the USAF, it is administered by the Italians, much in the same way USAF bases are in the UK.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Cabin

Thanks for the links! Never worry about your English! It's really good actually!

Well it seems there are some NATO forces going to 6 different locations. Not sure I'd call them bases as the story translates 'staff' in my Google translate. I wonder how many?

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Really? this is why i am not taking you serious anymore.

And with that I think the West has outmaneuvered Putin

Either the West gets 6 new bases that will curb Russia's expansionism

Russia is not one further expanding into Europe comparing to the smear number of US military bases around the world and east Asia and judging by your avatar i doubt you would even care as long America dominance is gained because thats its what is all about.

I rather find it comical how your claiming as by a means to curb Russia's expansionism? so NATO/America's bases and their expansion is what again? peace and stability?

or they will use those 6 bases as a bargaining chip to get Russia out Ukraine.

To compared to the Westren side, Russia holds more historical towards Ukraine then America or Europe for that matter.

Putin's Empire

McCain must be so proud of you.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Agent_USA_Supporter

*shrugs*

How many oppressed ethnic Russians in other countries are we up to..

Yes putin isn't invading like history is used to.. But ti imply his forces aren't active in destabilizing at least a couple nations now is laughable at best.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

But ti imply his forces aren't active in destabilizing at least a couple nations now is laughable at best.

Russians are the ones destabilizing at least a couple nations now? so what America/NATO is doing in eastern Europe and middle east is not destabilizing right?

Its all about PEACE, STABILITY?

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Georgia, Crimea/eastern Ukraine , what was that about an Estonian(might of been Latvia) officer being kidnapped by the fbs.

Might be a couple others that they have started claiming ethnic Russians are being oppresed.
edit on 24-1-2015 by Irishhaf because: Fricking auto correct

As far as what America and nato is doing... Where did I say any of their actions are fine.

But then your stick is blame America for everything evil.
edit on 24-1-2015 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

so what America/NATO is doing in eastern Europe and middle east is not destabilizing right?

So the last time I checked, the west wasn't annexing parts of a sovereign country, and lying about their troops being involved.

Neither was NATO, but of course you have to insert Syria and Libya into the thread as your fall back arguments.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   

McCain must be so proud of you.

You really do have something for McCAin don't you?

I bet your one of those who voted for him, but since he lost everything has to be McCain, McCain, McCain...

Your replies are about as relevant as he is in American politics.

top topics

join