It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC Idiots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Judge Suspended For Wearing Blackface To Party
NEW ORLEANS -- The Louisiana Supreme Court has given a judge a six-month suspension for wearing blackface makeup, handcuffs and a jail jumpsuit to a Halloween party.

Judge Timothy Ellender will lose all of his pay during the suspension. That totals more than $50,000.

Ellender, who is white, said the costumes worn by him and his wife were meant as a joke. She dressed as a policewoman. And the party's host, Ellender's brother-in-law, was dressed as Buckwheat."

www.nbc4.tv...

This is more evidence that the PC crowd are nuts. It was a halloween party! The PC crowd need "sensitivity" training to become "Men". Learn to laugh instead of pointing fingers and whimpering like children. "Oh you hurt my feelings". Grow up!

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I'm not sure what you mean by 'PC crowd'. However, this man is a Judge. He determines the faith of the accused. He is supposed to take evidence presented in trials and make a sound judement. His decisions should be non-biased.

Now this Judge arrives at a costume party in 'blackface makeup' with an orange jump suit and handcuffs. What does this say about this guys character?

It means that he has a certain bias to send minorities to prison. He's not decent Judge. This guy should be fired.

[edit on 12/15/2004 by Simulacra]

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
I'm not sure what you mean by 'PC crowd'. However, this man is a Judge. He determines the faith of the accused. He is supposed to take evidence presented in trials and make a sound judement. His decisions should be non-biased.

Now this Judge arrives at a costume party in 'blackface makeup' with an orange jump suit and handcuffs. What does this say about this guys character?

It means that he has a certain bias to send minorities to prison. He's not decent Judge. This guy should be fired.

[edit on 12/15/2004 by Simulacra]

How does this make him biased? Are all Judges supposed to be on the job 24/7. Haven't been around many cops have you? You have to laugh at the system or go nuts.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
One has to ask what motivated him to paint his face black when choosing to wear a prison costume. He could have left his face how it was, everyone still would have recognised it as a prison costume.

It does appear there was a message behind his choice, but I could of course be wrong.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
First off, I think his costume was in very poor taste. Secondly, was this a private party or an office party? If it was private, I don't think we can meddle in that. If he came to the office or courthouse that way, I agree with the suspension.

Third and foremost on my mind is that a 6 month suspension will cost him 50,000 dollars? The dude is a court judge making 100,000 a year?!!
There's the crime!

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
One has to ask what motivated him to paint his face black when choosing to wear a prison costume. He could have left his face how it was, everyone still would have recognised it as a prison costume.

It does appear there was a message behind his choice, but I could of course be wrong.

Maybe he was trying to be Clarence Thomas?

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   
This reminds me of an office Christmas party we had a few years ago. This was in the UK, so the organizers had booked this Welsh dance troupe. They were blacked up, but it was directly and only a reference to how Welsh miners used to look after a hard day in the mines. Anyway, it cased a HUGE stink, every crakpot PC in the organization came out of the woodwork...and every Christmas party since has been dead boring. (I'm not saying you need blacked up dancers to have a good party, but management is so paranoid now that they've pretty much ruled out any Fun...)

Still, I suppose this judge is guilty of poor judgement, which isn't really what you want in a judge...

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Look if you are truely not Prejudice then what is the harm? This guy is not stupid. Simple over reaction by the PC crowd. They are the ones with the guilty Conscience.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
Third and foremost on my mind is that a 6 month suspension will cost him 50,000 dollars? The dude is a court judge making 100,000 a year?!!
There's the crime!

It is alot for a public servant. But consider most judges could probably make more as attorneys but gave it up for the bench.

This guy though. :shk: It's really not a PC case at all. Judges aren't private people working for for private companies or in business for themselves. Their capacity for "judgement" is held to very high standards in all aspects of their life. I've heard of them being fired for less. Much less. It amzes me this guy only got a suspension.

His error in judgement was a direct reflection on his capacity to remain unbiased in his duties. He directly sends these people to jail he's making light of. It would be questionable for him to even play the jailbird, but in blackface?

Mind you, I have little tolerance for people that scream PC persecution at the drop of hat though. They are typically the same conservatives that do not believe in employee rights anyway and hold the right to work free market as God.

So if you want laws that say you can fire someone for no reason, why complain when your employer (in this case the government) gives a reason? In this case a good one?

You can't have it both ways.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I got to agree with you on this one, Rant. One must accept the responsibility of such an appointment and conduct themselves in such manner. If you cannot leave your personal predjudice and mis-behavior behind, then public office may not be for you. No one put to this guys head to accept the appointment so he entered into this service willingly. All our elected officials should be expected to hold themselves to standards which eliminate predhidice and biggotry toward race and gender...and that includes sexual assault and womanizing too. You can't have it both ways either regardless of semantics.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Kinda on topic -

The language police have come up with the top PC phrases
for 2004 - www.languagemonitor.com...

Excellent 'STUPID PC' stories ... www.tonguetied.us...
Updated all the time.

[edit on 12/15/2004 by FlyersFan]

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Maybe he was trying to be Clarence Thomas?

Maybe you were trying to be funny? What does that even mean?

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   

How does this make him biased?

If you dress up like Hitler at a Christmas party as 'good fun' and the next day you have to decide if a jewish person gets thrown in jail for the rest of his life...what do you think? Something is so obviously wrong there.

Are all Judges supposed to be on the job 24/7.

In essence, YES. How would you like a judge that dressed up in a KKK outfit the night before your trial? Judges are a representation of the Judicial system. Racial injustice does not a have place in this system. Do you think its acceptable for a priest to go the strip club on saturday night, wake up from a hang over and preach about God the next morning?

Haven't been around many cops have you?

I actually have. Not that I had a choice or anything.

You have to laugh at the system or go nuts.

It's fun to laugh at the system in some circumstances. But in this situation, its the system that eventually laughs at you.

new topics

top topics

join