It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft to release Augmented Reality goggles - HoloLens. And the people rejoice

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
we just need nanobots to take in a pill form that form around the visual cortex and give you the ability to mentally be online.

I would be concerned about virus/hijacking. not gonna lie.

I am at a age I suppose where I want the ability to physically remove/unplug anything should the need arise. I think that's a safe halfway point for now. nanobots forever in my body that can connect online..not liking that prospect.

Now, nanovats that you lay in and get worked on for awhile..sure. implants I can literally tear out should things go bad, sure. but..yeah. I got enough creepy crawlies in me by nature already..unless these suckers are actively like killing cancer or something, then no need to hang out.

my mind may change on that subject as science gets to that point.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

You might also want to check out the anime, Dennō Coil which has to do with Augmented Reality. I've watched it and I thought it was pretty interesting. It had a lot of cool ideas.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX
My God, although I see some awesome applications
of such a thing, I think overall it will be total sensory
overload, and the incidence of schizophrenia will
increase 10 fold.

Rebel 5

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The limiting factor of that technology is internet speed.

Given the sheer massive amounts of data instantly being shared/distributed in milliseconds of everything pretty much.

Your taking terabit and beyond.

Like all cutting edge technology what is it sold as isn't going to be what the real life version is.

It will take decades, and the infrastructure will be a nightmare.
edit on 23-1-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer
I was going to say that, but lol, you did.

I see all sorts of strange applications that
may or may not be so healthy.

Rebel 5

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I was thinking: i'm picturing a large white room or set of rooms and corridors (like in Castle Wolfenstein or DOOM) with a moving floor. you could have this headset take you through the street of NY or another city, the prospects and possible applications are quite exciting. At work we just upgraded to the latest Autodesk products and the 3D rendering capabilities and ease of use are already impressive, this would bring in a whole new dimension.

Then i though... were did i see a similar scenario? Oh yeah, nearly 20 years ago and the title says it all.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Oh goody .. another high tech toy to further distract.. disconnect .. and program people ... keeping them nice and docile under big brothers bootheel...

Or perhaps it's just new technology? Why is everything under the sun some sort of propaganda device, mind control, or scam? News flash: it's not.

Personally, I'd love to have tech I could wear that would show me how to fix a motorcycle or engine if I didn't have the know-how to do so.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

If they cant incorporate a mobile device I cant see anyone buying it in droves.
They need to look at augmented reality applications that dont involve putting things on your body, especially your head, because people dont want to put things on over thier bodies other than thier normal clothes.

Keep in mind putting things on your head just looks too stupid for the public to ever really accept.

What was "normal" one or two decades ago is no longer so now. It used to be "normal" for men to have white powdered wigs, back in the day. Having this device on your head could be the norm in the following decades. You need to open your mind up a little bit. What you said is exactly what other naysayers said about every piece of technology humanity now uses and that you now consider "normal."
edit on 23-1-2015 by topquark because: removed video

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71
Well, cable tv will start to die off.

One of the things I have been watching and noticing with the idea of augmented reality is that you can have whatever size tv you want in your living room. TV sales will drop.

I'm hoping microsoft takes this to the xbox one with a more gamer idea in mind, kind of like
Oculus Rift.

I want to sit on top of a mountain in skyrim!

lol

old-style movies shown on two-dimensional screens will also become obsolete. Imagine being in an interactive movie where you find yourself right in the middle of the action and the actors seem to be standing around you instead of on a screen in front of you.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: topquark

One of the things I have been watching and noticing with the idea of augmented reality is that you can have whatever size tv you want in your living room. TV sales will drop.

I'm hoping microsoft takes this to the xbox one with a more gamer idea in mind, kind of like
Oculus Rift.

lol

old-style movies shown on two-dimensional screens will also become obsolete. Imagine being in an interactive movie where you find yourself right in the middle of the action and the actors seem to be standing around you instead of on a screen in front of you.

I know there's IMAX and the like, but imagine a better quality projected movie that was made to be interactive, available to everyone, that people can watch in their own homes any time they want!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
The limiting factor of that technology is internet speed.

Given the sheer massive amounts of data instantly being shared/distributed in milliseconds of everything pretty much.

Your taking terabit and beyond.

Like all cutting edge technology what is it sold as isn't going to be what the real life version is.

It will take decades, and the infrastructure will be a nightmare.

That problem has been solved already.

Computer Capable Of Calculating 640TBs Of Data In One Billionth Of A Second

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: topquark

Oculus Rift.

lol

I kinda disagree there.
I think the passive entertainment will not die. arguments could be made about how the television would replace books...after all, why read something when you can watch it visually.
And sure, television did replace much of book reading for escape, but it didn't remove..it became a new form of entertainment distinctive and separate from books.
I think this falls closer into the gaming market than the television/movie market...and will create a new entertainment by itself and in its own category, but will still have the flatscreen films, books, etc.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Ah yes this technology leads me closer to what I have been waiting for my whole life, fully immersive virtual reality. I will be among the first to buy this, if only I had enough time to spend days, months, years in full virtual immersion.

Stuff like this... God I just wish the world could just put aside all of it's differences and just work towards furthering this technology, true virtual reality will be the new age and I am on board 100%

If I may also add, being a transgender woman and feeling so limited in my physical form, I feel technology and virtual reality is what will break the chains that I feel have held me back my whole life. Though that may be an entirely different topic on its own, exciting stuff that I wish was available now!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Technology is so crazy, cool and scary.......

Humor me .....

"Hey I want you to take this camera and microphone and put it in your house, I want you to let it see and hear everything you do and say, and everything your family and friends do and say , all around you, every day!"

Avg person: "Get stuffed psycho!"

"Heres an Iphone"

Avg person: "oh SWEET!"

"heres a smart TV"

Avg Person : "oh man where can i get 2?!"
edit on 1/23/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Yeah, and remember the promos for Google Glass? So many promises made, and it never delivered on any of it.

I was watching some videos just yesterday about things "you never knew existed" all about new tech products, but the thing was almost none of them had actually been invented yet, they were just concepts, not even prototypes.

Most of them were marketing things that existed only on paper, they conveniently overlook the facts and the hurdles of actually manufacturing the product and the systems we would need in place to make them functional.

Why do they do it? Because they hope that someone at Google will see their little garage science project and the posh video they made and buy the company for a billion $'s. And the sad part is, maybe Google will buy that company, primarily because it wants to stop any competitors for projects it's already working on, or wants to grab the rights to an idea they didn't think of.

This new gadget might work in a Microsoft lab, with gigantic computing power behind it, but until I actually have one of these in my hands to try out, it's nothing more than a clever video making promises they might be able to deliver on in a decade, if they spend a few more billion on it and can make it affordable for more than the ten richest people in the US.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
I am at a age I suppose where I want the ability to physically remove/unplug anything should the need arise. I think that's a safe halfway point for now. nanobots forever in my body that can connect online..not liking that prospect.

I'm with you, and I think a lot of other people will be too. I don't think this is a generational thing either, because the younger generations are seeing the same problems when it comes to abuse of technology in their everyday lives.

I think there might only be acceptance of tech out of our control if the benefits outweigh the potential risks, and they would need to considerably outweigh them, in a real and tangible sense.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
If they are willing to show the masses this new tech, imagine how developed the government version of this tech is. History has proven that the government and the military see technological advancements wayyyyy sooner than we do.
a reply to: neo96

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: honested3
Ah yes this technology leads me closer to what I have been waiting for my whole life, fully immersive virtual reality. I will be among the first to buy this, if only I had enough time to spend days, months, years in full virtual immersion.

Stuff like this... God I just wish the world could just put aside all of it's differences and just work towards furthering this technology, true virtual reality will be the new age and I am on board 100%

If I may also add, being a transgender woman and feeling so limited in my physical form, I feel technology and virtual reality is what will break the chains that I feel have held me back my whole life. Though that may be an entirely different topic on its own, exciting stuff that I wish was available now!

Makes me believe we are one step closer to the real life version of the matrix.

Red or blue ?

Choose wisely.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

Yeah, and remember the promos for Google Glass? So many promises made, and it never delivered on any of it.

I was watching some videos just yesterday about things "you never knew existed" all about new tech products, but the thing was almost none of them had actually been invented yet, they were just concepts, not even prototypes.

Most of them were marketing things that existed only on paper, they conveniently overlook the facts and the hurdles of actually manufacturing the product and the systems we would need in place to make them functional.

Why do they do it? Because they hope that someone at Google will see their little garage science project and the posh video they made and buy the company for a billion $'s. And the sad part is, maybe Google will buy that company, primarily because it wants to stop any competitors for projects it's already working on, or wants to grab the rights to an idea they didn't think of.

This new gadget might work in a Microsoft lab, with gigantic computing power behind it, but until I actually have one of these in my hands to try out, it's nothing more than a clever video making promises they might be able to deliver on in a decade, if they spend a few more billion on it and can make it affordable for more than the ten richest people in the US.

Already demoed. there are also plenty of articles out now of people (journalists) who have already been allowed to test em out.
Will be out "within the windows 10 timeframe). It was actually suggested July of this year (2015). Info is still up in the air about such details, but no, this is not just some idea by Microsoft. it is a already implemented product that is going through its finishing touches.

but I do understand and appreciate the skepticism. I was never a big fan of google glass. seemed very limited and silly frankly.

This I am on board with though

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: Rocker2013

Already demoed. there are also plenty of articles out now of people (journalists) who have already been allowed to test em out.

Will be out "within the windows 10 timeframe). It was actually suggested July of this year (2015). Info is still up in the air about such details, but no, this is not just some idea by Microsoft. it is a already implemented product that is going through its finishing touches.

but I do understand and appreciate the skepticism. I was never a big fan of google glass. seemed very limited and silly frankly.

This I am on board with though

Cool!

I would love to see this in a hologram form. . .

But for now it is what it is, the glasses may be the next version of TV for us, I dont see why they cane be like google glass. . . .

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join