It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft to release Augmented Reality goggles - HoloLens. And the people rejoice

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
NASA have today announced a collaboration with Microsoft to research mars in virtual reality real time .

NASA Hololens

This would be amazing if they opened it up to the public so we all could explore mars in virtual reality from satellite data!

However I am not impressed by Microsoft they say that these are holograms but they only appear to be augmented reality which is not a true hologram , it looks as though the glasses just allow you to interact with augmented reality programs!

Holograms require projection , and it doesnt look like those glasses project anything

Actually I am a bit confused about the tech
initially I thought its simply AR (simply..heh)..but as I read more on what they are doing, it seems it is some sort of hybrid. the projection is going on in your eyes though or some such, or the lens itself..so not projected outside, but there is a..element of holographic technology localized within the headset itself.

but the tech is a bit over my head for now...still, I wanna know the coding language, packaging, etc..and what I need to buy/study to be part of this field

I have soo many ideas I would like to create.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: peskyhumans
I can't help but imagine how stupid the people must look when they are using these things. I would love to walk into a room and see someone wearing this on their head, waving their hands around, interacting with nothing but thin air. I would laugh my ass off at them.

No way am I buying this.

oh well, cancel the project. shut down progress.
peskyhumans from the internet said someone will look silly...therefore everyone will think that.

anyhow, yeah, would look silly as hell. imagine also a person holding up a tiny little box to their head and speaking into it. yapping away to a box like it was a person. I would laugh my ass off at them..

no way I am buying a phone.

-just shakes head at the luddites-

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Well, cable tv will start to die off.

One of the things I have been watching and noticing with the idea of augmented reality is that you can have whatever size tv you want in your living room. TV sales will drop.

I'm hoping microsoft takes this to the xbox one with a more gamer idea in mind, kind of like
Oculus Rift.

I want to sit on top of a mountain in skyrim!

lol

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

I just want to hang out with my Sims, travel to the future and fly around on the jetpacks.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

i imagine the future of this technology going something like this...

edit on 22-1-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: RazielBlaze

You're really pushing it by saying 'new stage of evolution'. I suppose that's if becoming ever more eroded, integrated, merged with artificiality while simultaneously being more disconnected than ever is your thing,

Sure it's a sweet toy, but the possible unintended consequences of this kind of technology for society is a huge question mark and may produce minute or totally disastrious problems. So with humanity at the steering wheel and humanity being largely infantile and ignorant in behaviour with no collective accountability or actual responsibility I do not favour our chances.
Kaczynski had some prudent ideas about technology, it would we wise to show some restraint especially since we literally have waves of technology constantly hitting us. The potential difficulties that could arise either from a specific technology or from the effects of a combination of technologies are notable. In summary, we are not mature enough to even possess the technology we do at this point, we should proceed with causion.

As for evolution, real evolution happens by personal growth, perhaps paradoxically by layers stripping away, cleansing, releasing fetters.
Not by playing with shiny toys.
Societal evolution can be measured by accountability, responsibility, morals and behaviour, not by technological wonders. Scientific knowledge and the utility of scientific knowledge may exist but wisdom and understanding may still be missing. We don't operate under the wisdom of our collective knowledge.

"O Solon, Solon, you Hellenes are never anything but children, and there is not an old man among you."

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

perhaps the next stage of evolution for homo sapiens is to develop a hive mind.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

There already is one.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

It's going to get worse too. I made this last year and your post made me dig it out of my HDs:

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

You're really pushing it by saying 'new stage of evolution'.

It is actually, but not human evolution, just technology evolution.
Although they do seem to be going hand in hand as the technology gets "better".

Kind of like the song "In the year 2525"

We may find ourselves useless if we are not careful.
edit on 22-1-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

We'll be obsolete eventually. I think the events Zager and Evans sang about will transpire sooner than we think.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

That is what I was just thinking. That song should be sped up to decades, not 1000 year stretches. That is how fast we are advancing, many of those things could happen in a ten to twenty year span.
Back then, no one had any idea how fast we would start to see technological breakthroughs and advancements.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod
a reply to: RazielBlaze

You're really pushing it by saying 'new stage of evolution'.

But he is right, in the understanding that we are constantly evolving anyhow.

I suppose that's if becoming ever more eroded, integrated, merged with artificiality while simultaneously being more disconnected than ever is your thing,

Been doing that ever since we started walking upright and used a shovel verses our hands.

Sure it's a sweet toy, but the possible unintended consequences of this kind of technology for society is a huge question mark and may produce minute or totally disastrious problems.

Alternatively, it may be the solution to a already existing disasterous problem.
How much plastics are created a year to make things like televisions, monitors, etc. how much jet fuel is expended into the atmosphere to bring people to places they could virtually tour at home. etc. by moving the tech inside a persons head (basically), they remove the need for it to be a physical aspect taking up room and destroying natural resources.

Actual earth/species benefits from this already speculated without even discussing the psychology.

So with humanity at the steering wheel and humanity being largely infantile and ignorant in behaviour with no collective accountability or actual responsibility I do not favour our chances.

That is your opinion. our species, in my opinion, is teetering on a advanced society and certainly an advanced species that has actually been unnaturally slowed for almost 1500 years by superstition and luddites to achieve our actual potential.
that's my perspective.

The longer we have only swords to play with, the longer it will take before we see the damage a gatling gun can do, and therefore lose our taste in warfare. Right now, as we become more and more advanced, the world is at its most peaceful time in all of recorded history (fact). we hear more, because it is a big deal now when a nation invades another..that should demonstrate where we are as a people..give some credit.

waves of technology constantly hitting us.

we have waves of gadgets without any real new groundbreaking tech. having a few more apps on a smartphone isn't a sudden out of control tech train.
frankly, there hasn't been much new since the 80s outside of accessability. more computer devices for everyday tasks, more gadgets, but technology...mobile tech has been here since the 80s, just got smarter and smaller...arguably mobile tech has been here since the invention of the radio.

This is the first really good breakthrough of technology that will potentially reshape things since the PC. it may make a lot of things redundant, and as it matures, people will be tossing away a lot of things in favor of this new tech

we are not mature enough to even possess the technology we do at this point, we should proceed with causion.

Speak for yourself. We have been overly cautious, and as I said before, held back by luddites for far too long.

As for evolution, real evolution happens by personal growth, perhaps paradoxically by layers stripping away, cleansing, releasing fetters.

Another perspective presented as fact.
for me, true evolution is merging with our tools as we have been since the stone age. we are self evolving.
We can discuss into what if you want, but suggesting its not a valid path is inaccurate when it is been the driving force of our species since the invention of the tribe

Societal evolution can be measured by accountability, responsibility, morals and behaviour, not by technological wonders.

Another subjective view. societal evolution can be measured in order, contribution to the species, and collective ability for self preservation and fruition. see how that works, my view on what constitutes (acceptable) society evolution can be equally as "right" as yours.
and technology directly effects my view of what acceptable society evolutions point is.

"O Solon, Solon, you Hellenes are never anything but children, and there is not an old man among you."

"Haters gonna hate"

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I think this is kind of what people are worried about with VR and Augmented reality,
the fact that at some point, you won't be able to tell the difference.

I saw this video a while back and honestly, this is where I see us heading for better or for worse with gaming anyways:

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I think that the video they released was exaggerating. But it's basically because that is what they hope to eventually achieve.

That is why the entire video is a "What If". So don't expect to live life like in the video for another while. Maybe just a few years. Still pretty amazing though!!

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Okay we can all agree this is some mind-blowing stuff. Incredible to say the least. Hardly believable that ten years ago we could hardly connect to the internet. What is it gonna be like in 20-50 years?
On the other hand, I can see one problem arise with this technology based on one simple principle:

Every new science discovery mankind has made in the last century tends to create an attraction of both the positive and negative outcomes. There is no exception to this rules at this time. The inevitable reality of duality of this universe I wonder - or simply an immature specy pushing too fast towards evolution?

Knowning this, I'll sit back and relax. Just observe.
But we have to keep in mind those companies will only show us the benefits of such new technology.
However, in reality, only the future will really tell us of its true nature.
edit on 22-1-2015 by St0rD because: typo

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo
I think that the video they released was exaggerating. But it's basically because that is what they hope to eventually achieve.

That is why the entire video is a "What If". So don't expect to live life like in the video for another while. Maybe just a few years. Still pretty amazing though!!

the part in this clip where they say they are now working with 3rd party companies to make apps to me suggests it works just like demonstrated and now just brainstorming new neat stuff to launch it with.

but go check out starting around 6:30 for the live demo bit.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

But he is right, in the understanding that we are constantly evolving anyhow.

Yet this understanding is incredibly shallow in the general population and concentrated and compartmentalized in academia, most laymen do not understand advanced technology.

Also, correlating the evolution of our technology with our evolution is faulty at best. Our surroundings evolve but does our inherent nature do? Of course to a positivist this question is all but pointless.

Been doing that ever since we started walking upright and used a shovel verses our hands.

And until pretty recently we always had a foot outdoors, some amount of connection with nature even if it was shallow.

Alternatively, it may be the solution to a already existing disasterous problem.
How much plastics are created a year to make things like televisions, monitors, etc. how much jet fuel is expended into the atmosphere to bring people to places they could virtually tour at home. etc. by moving the tech inside a persons head (basically), they remove the need for it to be a physical aspect taking up room and destroying natural resources.

Actual earth/species benefits from this already speculated without even discussing the psychology.

And we will get the chance to taste someone else's idea of something, instead of experiencing it fully in person, with all our senses, even the ones we don't acknowledge. There are energetic dimensions to reality that are normally not taken into account in most people's conception of the world. These would be nothing but fancy simulations, and while alluring they would lack that special something.

Yet you are correct, there may be solutions in this avalanche of technology. But it wouldn't be very prudent to leave such a thing up to pure chance. You would have us wander blindly into darkness to risk injury just for us to serendipitously wander onto the perfect cure at the right time. Not very wise.

Also, why do we have these "disastrous problems" you mention? It couldn't be because we are not mature and totally responsible as a collective entity could it?

That is your opinion. our species, in my opinion, is teetering on a advanced society and certainly an advanced species that has actually been unnaturally slowed for almost 1500 years by superstition and luddites to achieve our actual potential.
that's my perspective.

The longer we have only swords to play with, the longer it will take before we see the damage a gatling gun can do, and therefore lose our taste in warfare. Right now, as we become more and more advanced, the world is at its most peaceful time in all of recorded history (fact). we hear more, because it is a big deal now when a nation invades another..that should demonstrate where we are as a people..give some credit.

You imagine humanity to lose its taste for warfare because of squeamishness do you? In that case I think Vlad the Impaler or Genghis Khan would've done the trick. Stacking thousands of heads in pyramids before cities, forests of impaled victims or flinging corpses at cities should've done the trick. Or maybe the incineration of more than a hundred thousand at the hands of nuclear weapons did it?
Unfortunately I don't think humanity has had its fill of blood just yet. But perhaps without some kind of oversight maybe the next doomsday weapon the military-industrial complex invents will do the job.

Maybe that could be one of those disasters that does us in. Never mind, we'll wing it.

we have waves of gadgets without any real new groundbreaking tech. having a few more apps on a smartphone isn't a sudden out of control tech train.
frankly, there hasn't been much new since the 80s outside of accessability. more computer devices for everyday tasks, more gadgets, but technology...mobile tech has been here since the 80s, just got smarter and smaller...arguably mobile tech has been here since the invention of the radio.

This is the first really good breakthrough of technology that will potentially reshape things since the PC. it may make a lot of things redundant, and as it matures, people will be tossing away a lot of things in favor of this new tech

I think the arms race coupled with the current geopolitical players on the world stage could pose a dire enough threat for us to assess our technology and our global leadership seriously.

The effects we are having on the Earth's biosphere is pretty disastrous too, and it if anything signals a total failure of responsibility and maturity.

Speak for yourself. We have been overly cautious, and as I said before, held back by luddites for far too long.

We haven't held back when harvesting nature though, conversely we've had the pedal on the metal since the Industrial Revolution.

Another perspective presented as fact.
for me, true evolution is merging with our tools as we have been since the stone age. we are self evolving.
We can discuss into what if you want, but suggesting its not a valid path is inaccurate when it is been the driving force of our species since the invention of the tribe

But you have no conception of spiritual realities we are all subject to, and a whole society without such an understanding embarking on scientific aspirations that lofty is a surefire recipe for disaster. Rogue AI's is just the beginning in a very long list of dystopian possibilities.

There is more to our being than the physical body we inhabit, in fact, subtler bodies are a part of our being. Any type of merging with technology would have to take that kind of thing into account, yet science is so crude it can't even admit to such things in the first place. We are talking phantom limbs territory here..

In that paragraph I was referring specifically to spiritual evolution, which is a thing by the way, whether you believe it or not.

Another subjective view. societal evolution can be measured in order, contribution to the species, and collective ability for self preservation and fruition. see how that works, my view on what constitutes (acceptable) society evolution can be equally as "right" as yours.
and technology directly effects my view of what acceptable society evolutions point is.

Not entirely subjective I would argue, all of these things matter do matter of course, to be civilized however you need to have reached a certain level in all or most of these areas. We are simply not responsible enough, we can not take care of our Earth without massively damaging it. This is not the sign of a high civilisation, it is not a sign of evolution and it is not a sign of responsibility or maturity.

Humanity is a sloppy teen with dreams of being a god at best.

"Haters gonna hate"

Highly unseemly but ok.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod

There already is one.

a hive mind? where?

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

All around us.

(That makes me sound like such a jerk?)

(Ahh.. that's it. It's from the Matrix)

"The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us."

Well, it's suitable and true in more than one sense.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join