It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NJ Law Enforcement Will Use Private Outdoor Surveillance Video Cameras

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
It sounds like a good idea, if that will be used ONLY to help the police to solve crimes. Notice they use the word "voluntary" and I hope it won't mutate into something to regret in the future.

A person registering their camera would have to include their name, their most recent contact information, the street addresses for where the camera is located, the outdoor areas recorded by the areas, information on how the footage is saved or stored and the length of time the footage is saved or store, and finally, any other information the municipality would consider necessary.

A state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency, under the bill, would be authorized to contact a person who registered a private outdoor video surveillance camera and request access to footage.

The bill further provides that information in the camera registry would be available only to law enforcement officials and not be considered public record. The next step for the bill will be a vote by the Assembly.

www.nj.com...
edit on 15-1-2015 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Sadly, once it's in place, they'll expand its use to "I felt like spying on (x) today"

Just getting their foot in the door.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

They can get the video now .... with a court order.

Why does it seem like the Police do not like getting court orders.

This is just another way to help avoid the requirements of the Fourth Amendment.

The Fourth is there for a good reason, to give 'we the people' protection from the state.

Another nail in the coffin, one nail at a time and hopefully, the corpse, in this case the American people, just won't notice.

P

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I have absolutely no problem with private citizens having video, and having the cameras location registered so that the courts can access it. It catches criminals, protects the innocent, and protects the police.

new topics

top topics

join