It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Journalists accidentally photographed a top-secret Russian submarine

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

And it's cold as hell in the Arctic when you have to stand watch on top of the tower. Or in their harbors for that matter.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It might have weapons that aren't traditional for a submarine. Perhaps it has some kind of acoustic weapons? I would think weapons of that nature would be extremely efficient underwater.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

That's why they drink so much comrade! Oh, and they should be eating seal and whale fat.

As an old Inuit told me, "Keep you warm, not like that white people junk!"

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Yes, because you have to have something to test a concept and see if it works. The first is used for research to test the concept.

The worst job in the world....testing how deep a new sub concept can go!

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: JJRichey

Thank you!!!! That is some krazy weird submarine.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

They could use external torpedo or missile tubes that are out side the pressure hull. They wouldn't be able to reload, but, it is possible.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Sure, but it's only a crew of 25. So any sort of weapon would be a bitch to fight with.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

unless it's preloaded. which would limit the use.
or the sub has some sort of automated weapons loading.

though probably not.
edit on 16-1-2015 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Hey, it's Russia. They have a history of doing weird things. I mean who puts tank tracks on submarines?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: grey580

No, they weren't talking mini-subs, they were talking a full on parasite attack submarine carried on the back of a larger sub.

This particular boat is known as the Losharik. It is designed for very deep water ops, and is able to take soil and other samples.

Such as those """"eels"""" which have camouflage to look exactly like fiber optic cables.

Other than that not much is known about it.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: smurfy

is it me or does that have windowed deck?

interesting.

WTF puts windows on submarines? Did they forget about that water pressure stuff?

Or is this some billionaire's Doctor Evil yacht?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

Flood the tower and it works. A number of Russian boats have them.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Look at the englishrussia photo-tour of the laid-up Typhoon and you'll see that it's just a second bridge for surface ops in the kind of crappy weather that you encounter a whole lot around Murmansk. American boats don't have them because even the weather off Portsmouth or Bangor, WA is like Aruba compared to the Arctic sea.

Now looking at the Losharik class, it's obvious that the Soviets and later, the Russians, have had a strong, strong interest in long-endurance "oceanographic research" of the sort that justifies investing billions of dollars into deep-diving nuclear "midget" submarines and their boomer-derived motherships. I just wonder what the hell they're using them for.

Just look at what we were able to accomplish with only converted boats like the Halibut, the Seawolf, and the Parche (as well as what we're presumably using the Jimmy Carter for), and imagine what we could do with purpose-built systems like the Russian Paltus, X-ray, Uniform, and Losharik classes and their Echo, Yankee, and Delta-based motherships.

Whatever they've used them for has had to have paid off in a big, big way to justify their continuing investments in this highly unusual class of boat.
edit on 4-2-2015 by Barnalby because: Grammar

Q

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Sounds like a ver batim continuation of many of the Mike-class features.

So, I guess those M&M's bought us about 3 decades, give or take. A pretty good return on investment, I'd have to say.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join