It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok, this is the next level bullsh*t

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I bought a guitar today. Yeehaw! Been playing for hours. Turn on facebook and....

Son of a bitch! That's the exact same guitar and somehow I've been tagged somewhere from the drive in my car to long and mcquade and back home. All I gave them was my name and phone number once I completed the sale. No email address just my god damned name and phone number.

Now I don't know about you, but this is getting reaaaaaaal creepy. Too creepy. So there you have it. Every single thing you buy, someone somewhere knows. It bugs me, don't let yourself get used to it.
edit on 13/1/2015 by Gemwolf because: Added censor

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Have a nice day and smile for all the cameras!
S + F

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

Did you do any shopping around online before you went and bought it?

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

NOPE. I wasn't even going to buy one today, just wanted a loop recorder so I can jam by myself. Then I realized I needed a 1/4 jack cable so decided to go full on and get the guitar along with a rig for my speakers and iphone. That's the thing. No online shopping at all. That's why I'm pissed off.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Anything you search or click on will turn up in your ads.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Ya ok that is a little creepy...
And by little I mean a lot

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I have a feeling the algorithms that are actually being used are far beyond what we would be able to accept.

You giving them your name was all you had to do!

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

True, it's so sophisticated they only need your name or even your individual number. Creepy indeed, surprising? Not really lol. Great advertising tactic, I have to admit.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

yeah it's gone too far now. I bought a drone online last year and I've been seeing it on facebook ever since but it didn't bother me. This time they've gone too far

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Did you pay with cash?

If you used digital currency, the receipt went out to the processing company to be handled- logging exactly what you purchased and tagging it to your name.

I wouldn't be at all surprised of that database is available to google ad services.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Good point, it's logical companies would have lists of people for ad targeting purposes. Are they sold to companies, or do they pay to have access to these databases? I've heard something similar about telemarketers having lists of numbers that are used by different companies.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

debit card

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Why would they advertise the very same guitar and drone that you bought? Pretty dumb advertising ploy.

Smarter money is on directly advertising accessories you might need I would have thought...an amp for the guitar for example.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Fifty years from now. People who hate this. Are going to be thought of like the people who believed the earth was flat. The time to stop this was over 20 years ago. Welcome to the now. The earth wide Cheers bar......"Where everybody knows your name."

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

I've had it happen to me as well. I bought a book off a site and I noticed that advertisements recommended the very same book. I understand by the same author, genre, etc but maybe there's some psychological purpose to showing the same book? If there is I can't understand it honestly.
edit on 12-1-2015 by Yeahkeepwatchingme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Youre the one that signed up for big brother to watch you when you joined farcebook .. you signed away your privacy and freedom.
You have only yourself to blame..

link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

yeah I know, it is dumb isn't it. But that's what they do/did. I had the same drone plastered on my FB for months. Now it's going to be the guitar

link   

How did you pay for the guitar...debit card, credit card or cash?

If you had payed cash and not given them your name and phone number...you probably would not have been tagged.

What is scarey to me is...let's say I go and buy a new guitar and I pay cash and don't give my name and phone number and I get tagged anyway...now that would be something to freak out about!

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Name? That changes daily ..

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Social Security
Bank Account
Employer ID
Telephone #

I have never used a credit card in my life and stick to the smallest local banks I can find. They seem to sellout slower than the rest. Plus, every single employee there knows me by name. I feel sorry for you. I certainly hate the feeling. Lets go back to bartering.

P.S. - Can I ask what bank you use?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join