It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you Charlie ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Did you know Charlie ? I didn't. What I do know, is that it is a slogan made and pushed down our throat to make us stop thinking and jump on the bandwagon of never ending brainless emotion. It is easy to manipulate and control someone who is stuck on the level of emotions because emotions are easy to generate in one's mind, while it is harder to generate a coherent and logical train of thought to which one's mind can adhere.

Wherever I look, I see this slogan and I can't escape it. It wants me to think that 1 life there is worth 1000 lives somewhere else. I am not Charlie, but I am every human being who dies in an horrible way.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Precisely, you worded it perfectly. Nothing gets big unless it's useful imo. S + F

The Conspiracy, it's everywhere.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Wherever I look, I see this slogan and I can't escape it.

This reminds me of the Ice bucket challenge last summer.

Regardless of its intent, after being barraged by it from all angles, literally 24/7, I was left wanting to strangle every good soul who brought it up on social media..

edit on 12-1-2015 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
My thoughts exactly. A sign created for every good soul we have lost would probably wrap the earth ten times over.

Thanks for having the courage to put yourself out on a limb.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: canucks555

Are people still doing the ice bucket challenge? Anything they can do to distract people. Or create "unity" while simultaneously creating division. The greatest business scheme of all time.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
In a sense, if you have ever done or said something you knew would ruffle some feathers and done or said it anyway, then you are "Charlie." That's all it means.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

It's a meme. Don't worry. They are quite easy to defeat if you know what you are looking for.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
As long as you're not Chester I'm ok with it.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
Precisely, you worded it perfectly. Nothing gets big unless it's useful imo. S + F

The Conspiracy, it's everywhere.

This is why I have always hated Anonymous, and Guy Fawkes masks especially.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

I think those are setups but that's just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Agreed. Their whole motto creeps me out too.

It has always reminded me of the story where Jesus casts out demons.

Maybe that's not what inspired their motto but who knows..
edit on 1-12-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: typo

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

It's just too shadowy to me. Something about rebelling by buying into the latest craze, just doesn't sit well with me..
edit on 12-1-2015 by Yeahkeepwatchingme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Totally!

"Let's protest things like corporate power by buying all these masks for our march!"

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

That's it! Reminds me of a line from a Rage Against The Machine song I heard years ago. "Got you thinking that buying is rebelling".

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Never was.. never will be.. have a mind of my own and think for myself..
Damn insulting to be compared to a thing that made a living drawing offending cartoons and insulting people.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I'll never understand why people get so bent out of shape when someone gives a face to a concept.

I am Charlie isn't about Charlie, it is about people getting killed. It is about ALL people getting killed.

That having been said, I'd rather we were talking about Ahmed, the cop that was killed, but... you know... his name is WAAAAAAAY too arabic to be used in a propaganda war.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I think you guys are taking it the wrong way. It's essentially saying "got a problem with CharlieHebdo?, then you got a problem with me!" It is supporting the papers right to print satire, essentially "you've not just attacked a paper, you've attacked French culture."

I think it's a good thing to see so many unite and finally push back, but I also see much of the same weak complacency among people in the JeSuisCharlie marches.

Enough so, that when a member here PMed me about my JeSuisCharlieHebdo avatar, saying I insult the dead cartoonists because I am anti-radical Islam, I decided to change it to something that might piss him off just a little more: jeSuis Charles Martel

Charles Martel halted the Islamic advance into Western Europe at the Battle of Tours in 732.

en.wikipedia.org...

I PM'ed him back asking if he liked my new avatar better and he called me a fascist, lol.

edit on 13-1-2015 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Yup. Had the same thoughts myself when I first saw their little slogan. Cute, really. While I like what they say they stand for (ish. i'm what people on 4chan probably would refer to as a moral f#&), I don't have any trust in them. At most, they intrigue me somewhat and I'll let them entertain me.

I don't have an issue with the I am Charlie meme. I have friends in france and I have no problem standing in solidarity against an evil action. Because killing people who work making cartoons and whatever has to be about the stupidest reason ever. It's not a reason at all and I'm against such blatant stupidity and evilness. And I think it's funny they have a new cartoon of Mohammed or whatever his name is. People make fun of Jesus all of the time. It's no big deal, right? People really need to open their minds jeeze louise~

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I didn't know that was being done outside France.
I think it is just a way of getting people to identify with the victims, but I don't feel it that much, I never really feel that close to the french tradition of mockery. It's a constant thing, and I make efforts to be part of it once in a while, but don't have the right rythm. I always feel slightly bad about mocking others, even if they take it well.
For me, that was what Charlie Hebdo was about.

When I try to do it, it falls flat because I don't choose the right things to mock, it's always something that is too true, too sensitive- for they don't acknowledge that amongst themselves, they have a subtle understanding of what is okay to mock and what isn't. So they don't recognize that other people, also, have points that are off limits from mockery.

Like just try making a joke about the Holocaust to a french person- their grin will melt immediately. That's not funny, and they will call the cops, and you will go to jail. Oh the outrage when Prince Harry dressed as a Nazi at a costume party!

I don't condone the attacks on Charlie Hebdo, I do not wish to excuse them. On the other hand, I don't wish to condone purposely provoking people to get upset by mocking their most sensitive issues either. I am always a bit uncomfortable with hypocrisy, and this smacks of hypocrisy to me.

I identified more with the small children and parents who were gunned down in front of their school by Mohamed Merah, because I am a parent, and it was in front of my children's school that my son was beat up by a gang of arabs, and my husband and I had rocks thrown at us, because they knew I was american. But that didn't get the same press, because the press is more concerned with the press.

There were kids in junior high that refused to do the minute of silence everyone else did the next day, because they could not understand how these deaths were more important than the thousands that die daily in the world unjustly. These guys provoked it and knew the risk- so many other innocent people who made no choices to provoke are killed, and no one cares. The teachers tried to explain to them the importance of the symbology here, and they argued that humans might be more important than symbols.

When I heard of this, I just though, wow, if I was a teacher, I would be so proud of these students- thinking for themselves, and thinking quite well!

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I am Charlie=I am Israel

top topics

<<   2 >>

join