It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Kings the Stand will they finally do justice to it on Film,

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Sci-Fy did a good job of Stephen King's The Colorado Kid in the Haven series. Going against the grain but I thought the stand was good.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Captain Trips was named after Jerry Garcia. I like Salem"s Lot, the Stand, and the Shining. They were good. The movies all sucked compared to the books. I did like the Shining with Jack in it but it wasn't the same as the book. I was subjected to King from a good friend who had his whole room filled with his stuff. He would loan me the paperbacks and never let me touch the hard covers. lol

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ecossiepossie
a reply to: Brotherman

I like Mathew McConaughey
Or Benidict Cumberbatch or Robert Downey Junior

All of the above could do the role justice I M H O

Sorry but a pretty boy just won't do for Flagg. If you had read the Dragon's eye that book goes more into detail about Flagg and his past you need someone who can be both crazy and sinister. The guy that played him in the tv series didn't do too bad a job he just didn't give the impression that he had a dark enough soul.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: DAVID64

Wonder who they'll get to play Mother Abigail?

Just not Oprah or Whoopi. I'd like to see Johnny Depp give it a shot.

That was my first thought as well, anyone but Oprah. I was watching Benjamin Button last night and was amazed.....again....at how well the makeup department did on that film. Maybe Halle Berry? God knows she's skinny enough.

Matthew McConaughey as Flagg

Johnny Depp as Nick Andros

You need A list actors and break it up as a trilogy with a director/producer combo that are as good as the one's who have done The Lord Of The Rings. The Stand is way too good a story to demote to TV.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ecossiepossie

You forgot the Shawshank Redemtion. Even though it was a novella, it still translated into film excellently.

And Stand By Me is NOT mediocre, it's arguably one of his best films, with an outstanding performance by the boy actors, especially the late River Phoenix!

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I think mm would do better as Stu Redman.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I thought the mini series was well done. King wrote the teleplay. There was stuff left out but the 6 hours was good enough for the whole story. It's not like they could have put in the part about Trash and The Kid. Something about sodomizing someone with a gun doesn't translate well to TV.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I think Shawshank was a short story from the skeleton Crew novelete collection.
Don't know why just did not impress me.

I I R C They used another short story from the same book about a possessed steam presser .
Turned that into a film as well.

Was not im pressed with that either.

Different Strokes for different folks I suppose.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

It was from Different Seasons. 3 of the 4 stories were made into movies. Shawshank(I think is one of the best American made films in 40 years), The Body(Stand by Me. Awesome imo) and Apt Pupil(Ian McKellen was creepy as hell in it).

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DeepImpactX

If you read the link to Den of Geek there making The Stand into Four Films.

Studio Is desperate for another franchise.

Even said there going to reboot the Harry POTTER franchise

To Soon?

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Forgot About Apt Pupil
Yup that was creepy,

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Wow!
Do my eyes deceive me?
The people of ATS excited about a movie that puts Christian religion and god in positive light..
The godly mother pitted against the devil.
The hand of God with a smote for evil.
The man giving his life for god.
I never thought I would see the day.

And Flagg should be played by the guy on sherlock playing Moriarty. I Forgot his name...

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Wow!
Do my eyes deceive me?
The people of ATS excited about a movie that puts Christian religion and god in positive light..
The godly mother pitted against the devil.
The hand of God with a smote for evil.
The man giving his life for god.
I never thought I would see the day.

It was a damn good book.

And Flagg should be played by the guy on sherlock playing Moriarty. I Forgot his name...

How about Josh Brolin? He excels at every part. Hell in MIB3 there were scenes that I thought were played by Jones, he was that good.

edit on 12-1-2015 by intrepid because: Pic added.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Although I like "The Stand," the book not the movie, "Swan Song" is my all time favorite. I prefer the "Sister" character in Swan Song over Mother Abigail.

Sister played a more active role, she was a fighter and imo more believable. Her role was thrust upon her. She found clarity in the midst of madness and against all odds she muddled through. Mother Abigail was a bit boring in comparison.

Swan Song imo is the better story. I re-read it from time to time. The gentle giant Josh, Swan's protector, stole my heart. A great story from beginning to end, with far more interesting characters. "Friend" was more terrifying, less human than Flagg imo. I would love to see this book, if done right, brought to film.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory

I read it, good book. Really like McCammon BUT I thought it was a total rip off of the Stand.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Any post apocalyptic story is going to be similar but for me "Swan Song" was more of an adventure. I care more about the characters in Swan Song.

Conditions in Swan Song are more challenging than The Stand. Imo Swan Song is more in line with the movie/book The Road but less depressing, more fantastic. Actually The Road is probably a more realistic example of post apocalyptic life, just not entertaining enough for me.

The Stand is on my book shelf and I re-read it too but Swan Song's characters won me over.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory

S m stirling wrote the emberverce series that was a post apocalyptic storyline.
The first book was pretty good but I lost interest after the second book. Those type of books are not my thing though. Might be right up your alley.

So might Eric flint's 1632 series.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I thought that until true detective.
Amazing actor in that.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Morningglory

Swan Song imo is the better story. I re-read it from time to time.

I too prefer Swan Song to The Stand, no other books beside maybe the The Hitchhiker's series have remained as vivid in my head as Swan Song. I loved Swan such a beautiful character, and her protector Josh was as you said a gentle giant. I really loved to hate Roland and the Colonel, such very detestable characters. The Man With Many Faces is more believable than Flagg as an evil entity. Flagg is a wonderful bad guy, (King knows bad guys better than anyone) but Flagg is almost too human, he is like a hot headed jerk who does evil because it is fun. The moment between Swan and tmwmf, when she shows kindness is one of the best scenes in a book I have ever read.

As to the op, I actually do enjoy The Stand and think that it could be done well if they include some of what was left out. I enjoy and watch on occassion the mini-series but a remake might be fun. I think they need to pick the cast for their skills as actors and not based on sex appeal (except Nadine).

Franny: I would think that Jena Malone would be perfect.

Stew: Sam Trammell (aka, merlotte true blood)

Randall Flagg: could maybe be done well by Matthew Mcconaughey, he would have the suaveness of Flagg but i'm not sure he would have the evil mannerisms. I personally would pick David Morrisey (aka, the Governor from WD), I think he would be perfect as Flagg.

Trashcan Man: Cillian Murphy (aka, scarecrow)

Nadine: I could see Nina Dobrev as Nadine.

The Judge: Laurence Fishburne or John Goodman

Nick Andros: Joseph Gordon Levitt (3rd rock from the sun)

I'll have to think more on mother Abigail and Lloyd, Glen, Harold and Larry

Will be interested to see who gets picked. Could be really good, or just another disappointment.

edit on 12-1-2015 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Andrew Scot

I agree

Brilliant
He has the Pathos an Menace to terrify

So much so he has been cast to play the Villian In the next Bond Film

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join