It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A request for ATS to put back and show the time-honored slogan 'Deny Ignorance'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I say, let the owners of this site decide what they feel is appropriate for today.
It is their site, and they have managed to keep it viable so far.
It does not effect the way any of us think, and we post according to a set of rules that make sense in today's environment, which is always up for modification.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: LiveForever8

The slogan was one lots of people liked, and when it was taken down for what I thought were space limitations it was missed by some of us. To me Deny Ignorance means simply that, to post data which corrects both public and in-site perceptions, to share information which adds that information to a reader's accumulated understanding of a subject, and/or to focus our abilities to share research and 'what we've found to be true' with people who enjoy that type of informational shift in their knowledge base.

edit on 10-1-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

I get that.

I just don't understand what difference it makes to you whether it is still the 'official slogan' or not, whatever that means. Just seems strange to me.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

No particular reason other than liking it. As I said, when I posted the OP I just assumed it was still the slogan, one which used to be shown very prominently in the masthead, and so I thought it was removed for space limitations. I didn't plan on this becoming a debate on if it should be our slogan or not, so that is becoming an unintended sub-topic of this thread.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Okay, no problem.

It wasn't my intention to go off topic.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

No, you were asking and bringing up a fair point working off my awkward wording of the title of this thread (I just tried to edit it but my time window is closed). It will be interesting to see if the owner's still consider it the slogan. I just assume it is (haven't read of a change). Or is it like an unofficial slogan. Someone older and wiser than us may know the answer, from back in the day when it first appeared.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

without wishing to upset any one or appear reluctant to change I think that Deny ignorance is better than One turd at a time.

But saying that just becuase it's not there it does not mean you have to stop doing it.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I still consider it our slogan, but I like the intention behind it even better... The following is off our current "About ATS Page"

The simple yet effective motto of our membership is "deny ignorance", which signifies an effort to apply the principals of critical thought and peer review to the provocative topics covered within. More than a slogan, our members have embraced the motto as our collective cultural standard, demanding all to aspire to a higher standard. These simple two words have galvanized a broad membership that spans the spectrum from highly speculative conspiracy writers to staunch doubters. The result is a unique collaboration of diverse individuals rallying under this simple statement to learn from each other, discover new truths, and imagine new ideas that expand our minds.

This motto has life. It has purpose. It demands ATS members to think.

It is a state of mind.

It is a sense of purpose.

It is a statement against the paradigm.

It is a rage against the mindless status-quo.

The idea of "deny ignorance" isn't a goal that ATS hopes to accomplish. Instead, it's a challenge. A call to all those who come here to aspire to a higher state of awareness through informed discussion and debate.

Deny ignorance is what we do.

It's how we think. It's how we talk. It's how we listen.

Ignorance is the social disease of history. Is the evil that men do, the reason history repeats, and the cause of intolerance.

We deny it. it's not welcome here. Within these boundaries, it has no strength.

Here, ignorance is denied.

edit on 1-10-2015 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Springer

Cool, a beautiful summary of the slogan. If I've read it before it was long ago. Would you consider linking that to the top of ATS's pages, via using the slogan there again? If so, what do you think about the idea of a contest to put the words into a design? And if you don't have the room to include it again, how about an informal design contest? Thanks.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Well, as long as we're kvetching, I take a little offence at the side of my screen displaying the wording: 'exposing BS one turd at a time'.

It makes the site look high school and vulgar, and not to be taken seriously. Show some class, dudes.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Although impractical it would be cool if after posting you had a checkbox asking you to confirm that you have denied ignorance before proceeding.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I made this just for you.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
A star for you in a non starrable thread.

a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

No need for a star. We're all rock stars!

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
Well, as long as we're kvetching, I take a little offence at the side of my screen displaying the wording: 'exposing BS one turd at a time'.

It makes the site look high school and vulgar, and not to be taken seriously. Show some class, dudes.

i agree with you 100% on this. very childish sounding.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: SkipperJohn

We may say this but as we grow older highschool gets older too.
Although in England and not really used to using the term Highschool all three of my stepchildren are now adults and no longer children.

Maybe it is time for us to step aside and let nature take it's course, my idea of humour differed greatly from that of my parents and I know I was right and they were a bunch of outdated fools.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
i still have it as my sig. about 5 years now. the problem is that ignorance and conspiracy aren't mutually exclusive.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Times 100000000.

The "sanctioned: scatalogical themes around here lately really gross me out. Last time I said something I got an eyeful from an owner though, so...

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Thought I'd throw in a design myself since it's really quiet in the design thread..

I didn't know how else to visualise the slogan..

Peace

PS can't let the opportunity pass to spam my favorite thread on ATS

BTS: Avatar creation thread

You want an avatar, banner or anything else created like this just drop by and post your request, talented people are waiting for your order!!
edit on 2015pAmerica/ChicagoSat, 10 Jan 2015 13:57:09 -0600pm315720151 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The slogan encourages you to look for flaws in your own thinking. When I was growing up I thought many dumb things and still do. Sometimes we have to be reminded to be critical of ourselves, since it's tempting to cherry pick our information. I think at the root of cherry picking is the desire to conserve energy. Anytime we discover we're wrong it's like having the floor beneath you removed. It's a lot of work to reconstruct yourself. It's best to be reminded by friends, though, not big government slogans.
edit on 10-1-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join