It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Art Show Closed: Bush Monkey Art Not Allowed!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The guy in question, was so thinned skin in his political views that he could not handle any depiction, or possibly accidental depiction of Bush that he considered to be unflattering. So he pulled the plug. It doesn't matter if it was a government act or not, it was censorship. The point is simple, Bush is a boy in a bubble and his followers are such sycophants they will not allow dissent of any kind. That's fascist.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
The guy in question, was so thinned skin in his political views that he could not handle any depiction, or possibly accidental depiction of Bush that he considered to be unflattering. So he pulled the plug. It doesn't matter if it was a government act or not, it was censorship.

How is deciding what you sell in YOUR store censorship? Are you saying a bussinessman does not have the right to chose what he sells?

If not who does choose?

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

How is deciding what you sell in YOUR store censorship? Are you saying a bussinessman does not have the right to chose what he sells?

You're avoiding the essence of the story. The guy opened the show, saw something that got his panties in a bunch and shut it down. Yes, he has the right. But it still shows how weak minded Bush sycophants can be. He acted out of intolerance and kept others from seeing it. That's censorship.

No offense, but as a moderator, you seem inordinately biased. Why bother even being a moderator if you'd rather post like an ideologue? Kind of makes a mockery of the title, too.

Go ahead.. take as many of my points as you want.. I can take it.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

You're avoiding the essence of the story. The guy opened the show, saw something that got his panties in a bunch and shut it down. Yes, he has the right. But it still shows how weak minded Bush sycophants can be. He acted out of intolerance and kept others from seeing it. That's censorship.

No doubt it shows a weakness on his part but as you yourself pointed out its his right to be a weak minded sycophant

No offense, but as a moderator, you seem inordinately biased. Why bother even being a moderator if you'd rather post like an ideologue? Kind of makes a mockery of the title, too.

Against who? I think Bush is a moron who is quite possibly leading us down the road to a police state but because I disagree with you on the point of it being censorship I am a "Bushie"? Great logic there. Does the fact that I dare to disagree with you and state my opinion makes a Mockery of my title? Just how does that work? And again who am I biased against? The only people I am biased against are those trying to take away our freedom I dont care which side of the fence they sit on. I am a Libertarian which means I believe in EVERYONES rights, the artist has the right to make any art that he wishes but the Owner has a right to chose what is shown in his gallery.

The solution? The artist can show his painting in another gallery. If you can show me where the government has stepped in andd said "this painting cant be shown here or anywhere else then you have a case.

Go ahead.. take as many of my points as you want.. I can take it.

Why would I take your points for disagreeing with me? The same freedom for us to disagree and for the artist to make the painting also makes it possible for the owner to take ANY PAINTING he wishes down. Or is freedom only for those YOU choose. Should the government force gallery owners to post EVERY painting someone wishes to place there? Doesnt that take the owners rights away.

If you will come down off the cross for a moment you will see that I am agreeing with most of your post, just not the part about it being censorship, for that you HAVE to have the Government step in.
Other wise it is just a business owner chosing what to sell in HIS gallery

[edit on 19-12-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
some refreshing story:

"Bush Monkeys," a small acrylic on canvas by Chris Savido, created the stir last week at the Chelsea Market public space, leading the market's managers to close down the 60-piece show.

Animal Magazine, a quarterly arts publication that had organized the month-long show, said anonymous donors had paid for the picture to be posted on a giant digital billboard over the entrance to the Holland Tunnel, used by thousands of commuters traveling between Manhattan and New Jersey.
The original picture will be auctioned on eBay, with part of the proceeds donated to parents of U.S. soldiers wishing to supply their sons and daughters with body armor in Iraq (news - web sites).

Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld came under fire from soldiers in Kuwait earlier this month who complained that they had to use scrap metal to armor their vehicles.

"Many of my friends are over in Iraq," Savido said in a statement.

The painting offers a likeness of Bush but the image is made up of monkeys swimming in a marsh. It was originally priced at $3,500 in the show's catalog.

Organizers expect more than 400,000 drivers to see the billboard each day for the next month.

source

I hope somebody from NY can make pictures of this...

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
A picture of Bush made out of monkeys, uh, isn't any picture of Bush made out of at least one monkey? Also, technically, chimps are apes, not monkeys.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Looking at that picture, I find that whole row completely ridiculous. So it may look like Bush. BFdeal. That guy who shut it down is narrow-minded, thin-skinned, pompous dork.
I bet he was a big fat crybaby when he was a kid.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join