It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urban Outfitters Ordered to Remove Outrageous Thigh Gap Picture on Their UK Website

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
FACT: I am raising a teenage girl. Neither she nor any of her friends naturally look like that model. Not even close.

Just curious here, because your own and friends do not fit the model you are proclaiming that the model must be unnatural?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
I'm assuming you have some advertising standards in the states? I mean can you advertise cigarettes as a healthy treat for kids?

What here is unhealthy is the question. The original photo doesn't really present an "unhealthy" human being. It presents an "unhealthy" image I suppose, but those are not one in the same.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
I'm assuming you have some advertising standards in the states? I mean can you advertise cigarettes as a healthy treat for kids?

Apples and Oranges. You're referring to laws that do not allow an age restricted product to be advertised to that restricted age group. Very different than threatening someone's website because you don't like the body of a model they use.

What's next? "Harmful" and "Irresponsible" describe a lot of things. Should anyone who sells cheeseburgers be threatened when they put pictures of their burgers online? What about alcohol company websites? What about companies that cater to overweight people? What about a movie that shows someone sneeze and not cover their mouth? Should the ASA go after these as well?
edit on 7-1-2015 by XTexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

it's a pretty manky picture, who would want legs like that?
as a women, i can say some women are strange.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Here's another way to look at this... In the remote indigenous village there are no fat people (except some women after birth) because they have no road going there. They also farm/hunt/gather their own food, and collect/chop firewood, pound/grind rice, wash clothes by hand and so much more.

Guess what that amount of exercise (routine) leads to over time -- burned calories every day! It's a very active lifestyle that keeps the fat burning away and strong appetites.

I'm not going to speculate on attractiveness of thin/fat, but throughout history most people were thin because of an active outdoor lifestyle, and those throughout history who were fat had the means to still eat without doing much. Why do people judge on appearances so much?

Also, just for laughs and a dose of reality, check this out: www.reddit.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ownbestenemy

FACT: I am raising a teenage girl. Neither she nor any of her friends naturally look like that model. Not even close.

Just curious here, because your own and friends do not fit the model you are proclaiming that the model must be unnatural?

Since models are generally about 5' 8" tall and above, how much would you say a model that skinny would weigh?

What woman do you know, or have ever met that's over 5' 8" and that skinny ---- naturally?

I live near Hollywood, CA. I see models out shopping etc. Yes they are very thin, but they are not that thin.

I personally support photoshopping and enhancing models because fashion is like a fantasy. It's like big girl dress up.

But, sometimes it crosses a line I don't agree with. This is one of them.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ownbestenemy

Since models are generally about 5' 8" tall and above, how much would you say a model that skinny would weigh?

What woman do you know, or have ever met that's over 5' 8" and that skinny ---- naturally?

I live near Hollywood, CA. I see models out shopping etc. Yes they are very thin, but they are not that thin.

I personally support photoshopping and enhancing models because fashion is like a fantasy. It's like big girl dress up.

But, sometimes it crosses a line I don't agree with. This is one of them.

Orwell was right.

Thought police.

Now body police.

What's the magic height weight ratio standard that meets your approval?

You really are clueless to the fact that you're advocating discriminating against real women who are healthy with real bodies, aren't you?

Frumpy and overweight, just because it's the majority, does not mean that thin healthy women are not real women.

A woman being thin doesn't mean she's unhealthy.

If you think seeing a thin women is harmful and dangerous, you're sounding like the extremist who require women to wear burkas.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Extremism at its finest.

Your "black & white" thought pattern --- once again.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Extremism at its finest.

Your "black & white" thought pattern --- once again.

Labeling the reasoning as extreme, and trying to turn to ad hominem comments doesn't explain why you think it's ok to "body shame" women who are thin.

I think it's more extreme to ban women from working as models because you think their real bodies are not realistic compared to frumpy women.

Can you explain why you think it's ok to ostracize women and prevent them from working because of their body type?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

It's quite common to see naturally skinny women regularly in Asia, though maybe not always 5'8" tall. Try South Korea or Hong Kong. As I said in my post, if you can believe it or not, the village where my wife is from has no fat people. OMG!

And no, it's not just because of genetics. Diet and exercise go a looong way.

Perhaps it's partly because men/women in the US drive too much and don't walk as much as people in Asia do.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: alishainwonderland
While I fully agree that the over-policing of EVERYTHING has got to stop.... I do wish companies would use more realistic looking women (and men) in their ads. It doesn't bother a lot of people, but there are a lot of people who really react to ads like that. They try to achieve the "perfect" body and gain health and mental issues during the process. It's interesting how much MSM can affect our own ideas and beliefs.

It's probably a better idea to be responsible for our own thoughts and beliefs, rather than delegate that responsibility to unelected government bureaucrats.

Plus, why the attack on thin women? Why are bureaucrats obsessing over the gap between a woman's thighs? Isn't that body shaming itself, the very thing they're claiming to protect us against?

We can't make fat people feel bad about their bodies so we ban using skinny girls in ads.

It can go on and on.

Someone, somewhere, will get hurt, no matter what we do. How do we know when we've gone too far? Does Hitler have to gain leadership and lead us into a war we can't win for us to know whne it's too far?

Note: You were responding to someone who said the ads in media are unrealistic and cause a lot of woman/girls to harm themselves trying to attain unrealistic bodies. It doesn't show that in the quote.

Seems it's always justifiable or easier to remove freedoms for security than it's to remove securities for freedoms. We're squeamish.

And yet we do have to be responsible about what we put in media. There do have to be some securities. it's not a perfect world. And yet as I say that I wonder if we always have to fail to know our limits.
edit on 8-1-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Philippines

It's quite common to see naAsia is catching up with the West on obesity, and Malaysia is leading the wayturally skinny women regularly in Asia, though maybe not always 5'8" tall. Try South Korea or Hong Kong. As I said in my post, if you can believe it or not, the village where my wife is from has no fat people. OMG!

Perhaps it's partly because men/women in the US drive too much and don't walk as much as people in Asia do.

A side note: I was 5' 8" 125 pounds, prior to menopause (what a cruel joke that is). I did health food starting in the 60s. My kids would tell the neighbors I didn't feed them so they could get sugared cereal.

Asia is catching up with the West on obesity, and Malaysia is leading the way

Recent research showing that almost half of Malaysian adults are overweight or obese—possibly the highest rate in Asia—has kicked off a flurry of consternation in the country. The prime minister’s office has asked scientists to research solutions. Nutritionists are blaming dietary staples like nasi lemak and roti. Some doctors say too many families still believe chubbiness among children is a sign they’ve been looked after well.

qz.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

My kids would tell the neighbors I didn't feed them so they could get sugared cereal.

Oh, wow. It's kind of humorous (when it happens to someone else!), but that would suck.
Kids will do that to you sometimes.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Philippines

It's quite common to see naAsia is catching up with the West on obesity, and Malaysia is leading the wayturally skinny women regularly in Asia, though maybe not always 5'8" tall. Try South Korea or Hong Kong. As I said in my post, if you can believe it or not, the village where my wife is from has no fat people. OMG!

A side note: I was 5' 8" 125 pounds, prior to menopause (what a cruel joke that is). I did health food starting in the 60s. My kids would tell the neighbors I didn't feed them so they could get sugared cereal.

Asia is catching up with the West on obesity, and Malaysia is leading the way

Recent research showing that almost half of Malaysian adults are overweight or obese—possibly the highest rate in Asia—has kicked off a flurry of consternation in the country. The prime minister’s office has asked scientists to research solutions. Nutritionists are blaming dietary staples like nasi lemak and roti. Some doctors say too many families still believe chubbiness among children is a sign they’ve been looked after well.

qz.com...

Nice article. I've no doubt Asia is catching up to the West... Because the West went to Asia in the early 80's to setup fast food and introduce Western style capitalism with outsourcing and fast food. McDonalds opened up in Malaysia and the Philippines in the early 80's, so they are a bit behind the USA.

I saw the waistlines expand and Western international fast food chains explode in growth in Manila when I was living there. Again, it comes down to (poor) diet and (no) exercise, from what I saw in Manila.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join