It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Global Warming Tax Kicks In As Snow Blankets Ground

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Right in the middle of a snow storm comes the latest tax connected to global warming.

California is raising tax on gasoline and seems to be involved in some kind of carbon credit trading deal.

Some people might see this as ironic while others think the continuing carbon scare is already debunked and maybe even not working (yet).

All depends on points of view and visionary perceptions.

California Global Warming Tax Kicks In As Snow Blankets Ground

California dreamin’…

In 2006, after being bombarded with “man-made global warming” hysteria, state legislators approved the Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006 (i.e., AB32) to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from all sources throughout the state and work via a “cap and trade” system. It was then signed into law by “conservative” Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to much fanfare.

Read more:

Well this tax has been phased in over the years and now it’s finally going to hit consumers directly in the form of a gas tax that will range from 12 cents to as much as 75 cents a gallon.

Bear in mind that California already had the highest gas prices in the nation, thanks to sundry and myriad taxes applied to cover a host of Progressive schemes and programs.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Why does anyone still live in Cali?

Seriously,

Good for them, more economy killing legislation.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Been wondering when this was going to come in. Didnt think it would start in one state in the US but in retrospect I spose it was forseeable.

Wonder how long it will take to spread or some other such xxxxx global tax to kick off. It does not take long for a trickle to turn into a flood

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
They finally figured out how to utilize the conservative and the liberal side of politics together criminally and in unconstitutional ways, and in both cases make their schemes seem like good sense, when all it really is, is growing government and entrenching politicians in the most insanely obvious of schemes and get a majority to vote for it, (or not), and pass it anyways and call it a "partisan success".

Referring to the former governor being conservative. But then there is John Boehner and Obama doing the same things, only worse.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I just don't understand how people go along voting tax increases on themselves for things like this.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   
It's just grand isnt it, how we have to pay more tax so polar bears dont drown because they cant swim between ice packs as the snow melts to fast....

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01
It's just grand isnt it, how we have to pay more tax so polar bears dont drown because they cant swim between ice packs as the snow melts to fast....

If the polar bears needed the money so bad they could have just asked for it.

Does this mean that we're going to be buying them little rafts to float on???

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I live in the Granola state. No snow on the ground here. What does that have to do with a gas tax anyway?

Are we sure they aren't raising taxes to make up for cheaper oil?

People been paying the higher price, they can afford it right?

Whats the excuse in your neck of the woods?

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   
The only think I can say about California, is this. People! you voted those idiots into office. They created this statewide problem. Now you have to live with the idiots or leave the state. Common sense does not survive in California. So my advise is move away from the lunacy.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   

I personally agree with gasoline taxes. Money is something that makes people think what they do. If the costs are too high, they think twice before doing something.

I personally am sickened by people who use car for a trip less than a couple of miles... Round here, the public transport is working very well. Free-of-charge, pretty much the same time as using a car, bus-stop every 200 meters, buses go every 10 minutes or even more often, yet there are too many, who just out of comfort use their car, as the 1-mile walk is too much. Absurdity in my eyes.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
You thought they were joking around when people told you that the government was going to tax air. I hope the next on doesn't come true. Wiping my ass.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Just add it to the list.

#1 Air Transportation Taxes (just look at how much you were charged the last time you flew)

#2 Biodiesel Fuel Taxes

#3 Building Permit Taxes

#4 Business Registration Fees

#5 Capital Gains Taxes

#6 Cigarette Taxes

#7 Court Fines (indirect taxes)

#8 Disposal Fees

#9 Dog License Taxes

#10 Drivers License Fees (another form of taxation)

#11 Employer Health Insurance Mandate Tax

#12 Employer Medicare Taxes

#13 Employer Social Security Taxes

#14 Environmental Fees

#15 Estate Taxes

#16 Excise Taxes On Comprehensive Health Insurance Plans

#17 Federal Corporate Taxes

#18 Federal Income Taxes

#19 Federal Unemployment Taxes

#20 Fishing License Taxes

#21 Flush Taxes (yes, this actually exists in some areas)

#22 Food And Beverage License Fees

#23 Franchise Business Taxes

#24 Garbage Taxes

#25 Gasoline Taxes

#26 Gift Taxes

#27 Gun Ownership Permits

#28 Hazardous Material Disposal Fees

#29 Highway Access Fees

#30 Hotel Taxes (these are becoming quite large in some areas)

#31 Hunting License Taxes

#32 Import Taxes

#33 Individual Health Insurance Mandate Taxes

#34 Inheritance Taxes

#35 Insect Control Hazardous Materials Licenses

#36 Inspection Fees

#37 Insurance Premium Taxes

#38 Interstate User Diesel Fuel Taxes

#39 Inventory Taxes

#40 IRA Early Withdrawal Taxes

#41 IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax)

#42 IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)

#43 Library Taxes

#44 License Plate Fees

#45 Liquor Taxes

#46 Local Corporate Taxes

#47 Local Income Taxes

#48 Local School Taxes

#49 Local Unemployment Taxes

#50 Luxury Taxes

#51 Marriage License Taxes

#52 Medicare Taxes

#53 Medicare Tax Surcharge On High Earning Americans Under Obamacare

#54 Obamacare Individual Mandate Excise Tax (if you don’t buy “qualifying” health insurance under Obamacare you will have to pay an additional tax)

#55 Obamacare Surtax On Investment Income (a new 3.8% surtax on investment income)

#56 Parking Meters

#57 Passport Fees

#58 Professional Licenses And Fees (another form of taxation)

#59 Property Taxes

#60 Real Estate Taxes

#61 Recreational Vehicle Taxes

#62 Registration Fees For New Businesses

#63 Toll Booth Taxes

#64 Sales Taxes

#65 Self-Employment Taxes

#66 Sewer & Water Taxes

#67 School Taxes

#68 Septic Permit Taxes

#69 Service Charge Taxes

#70 Social Security Taxes

#71 Special Assessments For Road Repairs Or Construction

#72 Sports Stadium Taxes

#73 State Corporate Taxes

#74 State Income Taxes

#75 State Park Entrance Fees

#76 State Unemployment Taxes (SUTA)

#77 Tanning Taxes (a new Obamacare tax on tanning services)

#78 Telephone 911 Service Taxes

#79 Telephone Federal Excise Taxes

#80 Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Taxes

#81 Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Taxes

#82 Telephone State And Local Taxes

#83 Telephone Universal Access Taxes

#84 The Alternative Minimum Tax

#85 Tire Recycling Fees

#86 Tire Taxes

#87 Tolls (another form of taxation)

#88 Traffic Fines (indirect taxation)

#89 Use Taxes (Out of state purchases, etc.)

#90 Utility Taxes

#91 Vehicle Registration Taxes

#92 Waste Management Taxes

#93 Water Rights Fees

#94 Watercraft Registration & Licensing Fees

#95 Well Permit Fees

#96 Workers Compensation Taxes

#97 Zoning Permit Fees

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

Really? good god, land of the free to tax everything in sight, plus whatever else can be made up, much like percentages.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cabin

Round here, the public transport is working very well. Free-of-charge, pretty much the same time as using a car, bus-stop every 200 meters, buses go every 10 minutes or even more often,

Where you live it sounds like you have public transport. Much of calif does not.
i have to drive 6 miles for usable local public transport.

if i need to go to my doctors appointments i have to drive 70 miles to the metro train station.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I personally agree with gasoline taxes. Money is something that makes people think what they do. If the costs are too high, they think twice before doing something.

I personally am sickened by people who use car for a trip less than a couple of miles... Round here, the public transport is working very well. Free-of-charge, pretty much the same time as using a car, bus-stop every 200 meters, buses go every 10 minutes or even more often, yet there are too many, who just out of comfort use their car, as the 1-mile walk is too much. Absurdity in my eyes.

Taxing something to make people "think twice" is one thing but what a government does with the money is another. If the tax is collected to keep you from buying gasoline then the money should be used to fund finding alternatives. As it stands, this is nothing more than extortion. I go to work every day - I have to drive to get there - I can't afford a Tesla. Will the government use the tax money to help me or to simply redistribute the wealth?
edit on 4-1-2015 by LogicalGraphitti because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

You live in what most people call a "city"
I live in what people call a "rural" area.
No public transit, no bike paths.
Not using a car around here is not feasible.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

personally i wouldn't mind the gas tax so much if it actually went to pay what it was created for (new roads, road maintenance, and public transit), and not just added to the "general coffers" and spent on everything else.

lucky you with [free transit. as long as scheduling is good as indicated (without overloaded buses constantly passing you by as is common in my old city), i would agree people are stupid not to use it. but in other areas you are pretty stupid to use it especially for short trips. quite frankly when the fair is $3.25 each direction it makes economical sense to drive short distance for the tiny bit of gas you use. heck at my old place it was about a mile and a half or so walk just to get to the bus (and over all transit routes are pretty good, other areas close by it can be even a further walk). so many people get a lift in a car just to get on a bus. then even though buses run about every 5 or 10 min, sometimes you get to wait over an hour due to bus scheduling being messed up and/or even many buses passing you by because they literally are too full for anyone else to get on. for shopping? forget the bus, people bitch at you for even having a small cart (about 6"x12") which doesn't even hold enough. not to mention trying to get on and off through the crowd, even worse if there is a stroller or few on board to try to get around. trying to get to work is even worse, especially if like a lot of people you have to take two bus systems (cost of $6.50 each way), and no matter where i lived or worked it seemed to change a car drive of under half an hour each way, into an odyssey of 3+ hours each way (in good weather).

my question on this "Global Warming tax" on gas is in California. exactly what are they spending the money on?" that is the most important question about it, where exactly is that money going?

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

But obviously it doesn't.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: mugger
I just don't understand how people go along voting tax increases on themselves for things like this.

They think other people will be paying it, not themselves. This is why tax increases are always disguised as for the rich (no one ever defines rich and then we find out rich to liberals is anyone who has a job).

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Cabin

Sounds like the MSM/Academic complex is working somewhere.

Many ultra big cities in the U.S. are tax frenzied.

And many are ultra broke too.

Why is that?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join