It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Software disaster’: Pentagon never even planned F-35’s gun to shoot until 2019

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

You're comparing vertical landing to having a different printer? Seriously?

The basic software is the same, but they'd be stupid to put the lift fan software or carrier landing software on a plane that doesn't have a lift fan or land on a carrier. This isn't a matter of slight differences between the three. The differences are huge.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
You believe that all the software for the 3 planes is completely different? That would be very bad from a development or support point of view. But from a billing point of view, great.

Does a person need a completely different version of Windows on two computers because the display monitor or printers are different. No, just drivers for instance.

I dont think all Three Versions will have the 4 barrel gun. At least one will be fitted With Gun Pods. That would need a different soft ware.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: spy66

The A is the only one with an internal gun. The B and C will have pods. The B has the lift fan, can hover and takeoff and land vertically. The C has an almost automatic landing system that when active changes how the flaps, ailerons, and throttle interact, wings that fold, and software to deal with catapult launches.

Those are just the obvious differences the software has to deal with.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
An Applause to anyone who can tell us how many gun kills there have been anywhere in the world since the end of Vietnam.
I was just explaining this to someone the other day. Thanks bud.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

An Applause to anyone who can tell us how many gun kills there have been anywhere in the world since the end of Vietnam.

Including accidental?

Almost one.

ETA:
The OP's thread is based on state sponsored propaganda.

RUSSIA TODAY IS NOT A CREDIBLE SOURCE.

Much like Iran's PressTV, who announce US casualties, I think, on the hour.

edit on 4-1-2015 by lernmore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Theprimevoyager

Thanks to Hollywood people think gun kills happen a lot, and the other plane just explodes. The reality is completely different. The envelope for a gun kill is incredibly narrow, and extremely close.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: lernmore

It's actually true this time. The gun is low priority so it's part of the Block 3F software.

As of November of 2014, they had written 99% of the code. Once completed it will consist of 8 million lines of code.

The fleet currently has the Block 2A software. The Marines are scheduled to declare IOC this year with the 2B software, which gives 89% of the code. The Air Force will declare IOC with the Block 3i software, which is almost the same as 2B but with additional hardware. In 2019 the 3F software goes live and FOC is declared.
edit on 1/4/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

It's actually true this time.

I didn't say it wasn't true.

Once RT decided to make it one of their stories, though, it became state sponsored propaganda.

I used the Iran example, also, to imply intent. They both find faults, and mistakes, made by the USA, and announce them to the world... IE: Propaganda.

I just thought you'd appreciate the video frame, it's almost half on topic.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   

It is a pretty shot.

Anything with the F-35 is propaganda for someone. They classified the best reasons for the program so all anyone hears is the crap put out by anti-F-35 people.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Well, I don't think that they classified the fact that the days of a 4th gen hatefest on night one of a war are over and that that vast majority of the US's 4th gen fleet are going to last about half a second up against the newest Russian and Chinese SAM and A/A threats.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

You don't get it. That's OK though.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Yes, you're right. It's all the same software. They're just bilking us for it. There's absolutely no reason to change it whatsoever for different versions of the aircraft. Hell, 8 million lines of code? That's only six months of work!

It's freaking amazing that a software company can take five years to come out with a new program, and that's just fine.

But something that's ten times more complex, doing things no one has ever done before, using technology no one has ever used before taking years to develop? They're obviously screwing us and taking every dime that they can!

You're such a software genius, tell me then, how long does it take to write a triple redundant code, for three radically different types of systems, with the same basic code, for a total of 8 million lines.
edit on 1/5/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Hey zaph,

I'd imagine the coding for the gun would be one of the last things since they have so much coding to work out for all the "Other Stuff" thats inside the f-35. Especially the command and control interface. It would make sense that they would want that completely worked out before they merge it with some cannon code. I mean from what I understand the f-35 is completely new with how the pilot interfaces with the craft. And that it's not just new but also some next level s@$#. So its probably a lot of coding thats never been done before for any system anywhere. It would follow that it would take some time to work out and you wouldn't just want to make some finalized code when the "other stuff" isn't finalized enough to even write the code.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

I'd imagine the coding for the gun would be one of the last things since they have so much coding to work out for all the "Other Stuff" thats inside the f-35.

Exactly. They want to get all the really good stuff up and running first. Then they'll add in the small bit of coding for the gun.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

The sensor fusion alone on the F-35 is unprecedented. Add in the huge differences between the three versions, and you have a coders nightmare. Add in the foreign systems and weapons coding, and you have a situation to put a coder into a rubber room.

They had 500 people working up to 20 hours a day six to seven days a week at times to get the code written. They're down to the last 100,000 lines now, and bench testing the 3F version, but there's no point in putting the code in place until the aircraft is ready for it.
edit on 1/5/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

That's about the only good thing they haven't classified. Heh.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   

The F-35 is going to be the most advanced plane in the US arsenal once it reaches FOC. It's numerous capabilities on multiple fronts require a multitude of onboard computer systems. It has so much computing power that they have run into cooling issues and the airplane's computers overheating. To take it further, the engineers have to essentially proliferate these same capabilities to three different F-35 variants that all require different lines of coding to meet the needs of each of their operators.

To compare that to setting up printers in a cubicle is ignorant on an interstellar scale.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   

And then to top that off, you have foreign operators putting their own systems and weapons on board, requiring even more code.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to aircraft, but I know guns, could someone explain to me why they need some complex computer code to fire a gun? Surely they could just bypass the computer and run a standalone control module that fires the cannon? Have a solenoid that triggers the gun and run it directly to whatever controls are used to fire?

I must be missing something, experts please explain!

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   

You folks are clueless to what i was referring to. If each plane has 8 million unique lines of code then it is 24 million lines across the whole project. (3 variants).

To compare that to setting up printers in a cubicle is ignorant on an interstellar scale.

Not what I said. Maybe you are unable to understand what was said and meant.

It's pretty clear the experts here have no understanding about software.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join