It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerbal space Program hits beta.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Is it worth sending unmanned probes first then manned?.

Only if you don't want to kill your crew in the case of a crash...

The unmanned probe cores don't have much in the auto-pilot department early on in the tech tree, but I just unlocked a core with full SAS control.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

The top 25 from Curse gaming are worth looking at.

My favorites are KAS ( Kerbal Attachment system ) and Infernal Robotics

i made a small Mun Base some time ago with moving parts , but then 0.90 came along and i had to delete the save game and remove the mods

www.youtube.com...

the bigger 2 parts took about 3 days each , building and testing everything , and about 30 landing attempts , and i just made this as a play test to see what i can do with this mod.

Edit:

You might find this usefull also , wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com... if you have not found it yet.
edit on 2-1-2015 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I shall examine this. (But mekjeb looks too weird for me)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I started playing KSP not too long ago to. Took me awhile to actually get the hang of things and have 20 hours in so far.

Currently I just play the Science mode. I have about 5 ships in orbit around Kerbin, 1 or 2 orbiting the Mun, 1 stuck on the Mun, and a few ships flying off to who knows where (orbiting the sun?).

On one of my first attempts at orbiting Kerbin, I lost control and sent the ship way out into space. Not knowing what to do, I had the pilot exit the craft (I was thinking the ship was moving slow and since there's no gravity out there, the little dude could hold on.....). Well, that dude flew off the ship right away and is now orbiting the sun. He's still alive though after 30ish days floating in space.

I still have yet to land on the Mun and come back. My first attempt ended with a ship falling too fast and blowing up on impact. On the second try, I managed to slow it down and sort of successfully land. The impact blew up my rocket and fuel to get home, but I still landed and survived.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I'm in the mood for reviving slightly old threads today. (This is my second, so far.)

This thread gave me the bug and I wound up buying KSP back in February. Yeah, I missed out on the sale. Kind of a putz move on my part. But holy heck is it awesome! It is the time suck I envisioned it to be. I jumped right into career mode without doing any sandbox play or tutorials. I figured, "Hey! I've got a BS in physics! I know a decent amount of rocketry! How hard can this be?"

Did I mention putz moves? It took me quite a few launches to make orbit. The worst was I had to test a part on an escape trajectory from Kerbin. I didn't think to use a probe core and wound up turning one of my Kerbalnauts into Major Tom. One day I'll rescue him....

One thing I've found myself doing is playing the game in real time, using the time warp as little as possible. It's fun to go to bed and see what's gone on overnight. Right now I have manned missions en route to Eve and Moho, a manned station and base around Mun, a manned base on Minmas, and various probes to the outer planets.

I have added in various mods, including the much loved/loathed MechJeb. Here is the list of what comes to mind:

Station Science
LazTek
B9 Aerospace
Distant Object
Chatterer
Planet Shine
Quick Mute
Outer Planets

Nothing too serious, but some stuff to add in for more variety. I think when it comes time to tackle those outer planets I'll wind up finding myself using the time warp.

Also, V1 has launched!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I'd like to dedicate this post to all the brave Kerbals I've killed.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
I'd like to dedicate this post to all the brave Kerbals I've killed.

I ended my last game in Beta with 20 something flights going off randomly into space with no hope of returning....

In my 1.0 launch, I had 5 or so flights just out of orbit and returning to Kerbin. I thought that I could just start new launches while others were descending and they would deploy their landing parachutes automatically......they didnt.
edit on 30-4-2015 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Waiting for my favorite mods to update for 1.0.

I use
KW
Nova Punch
Procedural fairings and parts
Outer planets
Trans Keptunian
MKS
EL
TAC
DE (but obsolete now)
B9
KSPI
LLL
FAR
Scatsat
o and remote tec cause I loooovvvvveeeee to suffer and torture myself

edit on 2-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Bumping an old thread!

I have been getting a weird Kraken every so often. When I go to the Space Center from an active craft, then to a different craft through the Tracking Station, the craft undergoes unplanned rapid disassembly and is ejected from the solar system. The only fix is to manually close the game and restart. When I restart everything is hunky-dory as far as the last manual or quick save, whichever was most recent.

Any suggestions?

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
What's the best way to get a kid started on this? Does it have to be on PC or will a tablet work?

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I would think a PC, not a tablet. But it's coming PS4 and Wii U soon I believe.

My laptop is pretty low end, and about four years old, so it's a bit finicky for me. All the graphics and everything are bare minimum and it can still be slow at times. I'm also not sure if it will run on quad core or 64 bit systems.

It has a steep learning curve, but once you get into orbit it's pretty easy. There are a lot of tutorials and videos and out there for just about everything.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join