It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerbal space Program hits beta.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Well I spent my new years eve poorly with kidney stones and I picked up KSP.
Wow Iam hooked.
Took me five hours to get my basic rocket in orbit lol after four Kerbals bravely attempted it but either got in orbit but no way to return or one just went off into far space.
(odd how I feel guilty for the brave kerbals.

Anyhow it is a space game but boy it is hard.
Some videos.

Anyhow any space fans or flight sim fans out there are going to really enjoy this. It may help if you are an actual rocket scientist it really is hard.

My next mission is sending an unmanned probe to the Mun (moon in kerbal talk).
edit on 1-1-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Always looked like a lot of fun, just have never had the time to get hooked by it.

Here is their website: Kerbal Space Program.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

It sure is a time sink lol.
Well I just managed to launch my satellight but couldn't get it on a 0 degree thingy so I failed the mission lol.

I may build a space plane to do the survey missions.

It really is such a good game.
I hope Zaphod tries it out

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

I have also been checking out the site and you can download designs what others have made.
Just about every real rocket going plus many space shuttles.
Right space plane time

Oh and this guy is great for tips and stuff.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Does look like I need an engineering degree to get anywhere though.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Sweet vid, it looks infuriatingly addictive too. I'd heard a bit about it before but not really looked into it, though it's on the Steam sale right now.

The game that's interesting me right now is "Space Engineers", which seems to be a bit of a space Minecraftish thingy-esque game. Sort of anyways.

That's on sale though Steam too, and may well be more dangerous than a hybrid of ats, crack and unconventional sex practices.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I've had a lot of fun with it myself. Gets even better (and easier) when you add certain mods to it.

Like this KW Rocketry version of a Delta Heavy IV I made and launched:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
That game looks really hard.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I love the new update, I find the game much more fulfilling now, and feel more than compelled to complete contracts...up to a point. I'm not sure how many more orbital stations I can put around the Mun. You'll notice after a bit that contracts become a bit repetitive. Hopefully Squad will change that, so instead of nine contracts to put an outpost on the Mun, they ask you to add on to already existing vessels/stations/outposts. Mods are where the game really shines, though, and contracts added through mods should help alleviate some of the tedium.
edit on 1/1/2015 by OblivionGate because: Can land safely on Tylo, can't spell worth a lick.

edit on 1/1/2015 by OblivionGate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Welcome to the addictive fun!

Still its a came were hours spent playing are not wasted as its quite educational as teaches a lot IMO.

Infact I brought it for my 12 year old cousin, he is picking up alot of maths to help him build the best craft. Funny he doesnt know he is learning as he is haveing to much fun

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I'm thinking along similar lines re this game or "space engineers" for me and my lad to play... i think Space Engineers is edging it and may just buy it this evening when HRH is not looking

ETA: hah! she went for a shower and now it is mine mwahahaha

edit on 1-1-2015 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Welcome to ksp , and good luck with the learning curve!

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I had the game as soon as they started selling, but this game is just not for me. I tried so many times but i can never achieve a stable horizontal orbit. It allways skews on an angle and that gets in the way of traveling to other planets. Wish they would put in star trek warp drives so i can just explore the universe.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGreazel

I just installed Mechjeb 2.
It is helping me alot, teaching me as I go along.

Any other mods recommended?.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Heruactic

They have modded that

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: TheGreazel

I just installed Mechjeb 2.
It is helping me alot, teaching me as I go along.

Any other mods recommended?.

I use deadly re entry and TAC life support.

Kolonisation is a good one for late game trying to get a habbital mun or duna base.

FAR for real aerodynamics is a good one too.
edit on 1-1-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I've heard and read good things about this game. I'm intrigued, but must not buy yet as I have many things I need to be doing.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

to?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Heruactic

People have made mods for the game including warp drive and all sorts.

UPDATE:

Had to start again in career mode and have just gotten my 1st orbit.
Next the Mun!!

Is it worth sending unmanned probes first then manned?.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Heruactic
I had the game as soon as they started selling, but this game is just not for me. I tried so many times but i can never achieve a stable horizontal orbit. It allways skews on an angle and that gets in the way of traveling to other planets. Wish they would put in star trek warp drives so i can just explore the universe.

I've been playing for a few months, and one thing that helped me learn how to get into orbit (and then manipulate that orbit) was watching the videos from Scott Manley on youtube, and downloading the mod MechJeb.

MechJeb automates a lot of the procedures, including liftoff and initial orbit, and if you pay attention to what it's doing you will eventually learn how to be effective in your flights. I used MechJeb until the recent BETA release, now I can get anywhere I want without it. The videos from Scott Manley are a great place to pick up the little tips and nuances that will make KSP more enjoyable to a new player.

It allways skews on an angle and that gets in the way of traveling to other planets.

Remember, if you have the fuel you can always adjust your orbit. If you visualize your current orbit and your desired orbit, move about 90°away from where the two orbits would "pivot" and burn towards your "normal" or "antinormal" nodes.

You'll have to mess with the positioning and timing etc, but you can do all kinds of things if once you get the hang of it. I'm far from a great player, but once I learned a few of the basics and watch the MechJeb mod in action I've became a much better pilot in KSP.
edit on 1/1/2015 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join