It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO, West Is The Biggest Threat Of Our Existence, Says Russia; Ready to Use Precision Weapons Versu

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I may not be able to give this thread the political "weight" it deserves but I know that this development is important. Russia is once again upping the rhetoric on its use of force against what it describes as threats from NATO and the West. Putin and Russia are using Crimea as a focal point for a build up of arms and weaponry to combat its perceived enemies in a non-nuclear confrontation. Russia is also in a fight to retain its resources in the Arctic as Russia struggles to keep its economy afloat.

"It may mean the development of weapons systems, which would make it impossible for NATO to plan a surprise first strike, because it would draw a powerful retaliation," he told AP. "It would allow (Russia) to enforce its will on the enemy without using nuclear warheads."

Mr Putin also maintained in the document that Russia's interests in the Arctic must be strongly protected. Competition for the region's massive natural resources have also been escalating as the Arctic ice continues to melt due to global warming. The region is bounded by Canada, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Russia, Sweden, and the U.S. It holds 30 percent of the world's undiscovered natural gas, 20 percent its liquefied natural gas, along with 15 percent of oil, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

So many ways for this whole thing to go sour and put the world right into WW3. Putin is smart to threaten conflict without the use of Nukes since that would be M.A.D. This may just be more chest-thumping by Putin/ Russia but things are getting more and more tricky, and every pathway seems to lead to all out War. Will Crimea joining NATO be the straw? What says ATS?

au.ibtimes.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I imagine theres only so much # Russia is going to take from America, surprised theyve shown so much restraint as it is. Just lucky Chinese and Russian paratroopers are not falling out the skies over the craters that used to be American cities.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I say we may as well get it over with already. War is going to be constantly threatened by someone until another world war happens. This generation is not old enough to know what that looks like and once it happens it will become clear that we need to change....that is until a few more generations from now when it happens all over again. War is inevitable really....it will always happen, whether it be on a world scale or a country scale.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Crimea (in Putin's eyes) belongs to Russia now, so they won't be joining NATO any time soon. Though, I could see Ukraine pushing for NATO membership. According to the rest of the world, Crimea belongs to Ukraine, so if Ukraine joins, the NATO alliance would by default extend to include Crimea as it's considered Ukraine's sovereign territory.

A very dicey situation, I don't think it beyond the realm of possibility that Putin will engage his military more actively to put down any Ukrainian resistance of his (so far) relatively covert and light invasion of East Ukraine to support rebel forces there.

No matter who wins in this scenario, Ukraine it seems is doomed to lose.
edit on 29-12-2014 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-12-2014 by ScientificRailgun because: grammar, spelling

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
More sabre rattling from the Kremlin. What a surprise.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I think this is going to be one of the most important stories to unfold in our lifetime. Russia has been through one collapse, and I dont think they are ready to go through the same type of collapse again. Russia may not have the economic stability it thought it had, but its Military is far from being pushed over. This could become the powder keg that starts a New World War. How far will Russia take it up the ... before they retalliate. All these economic sanctions are pretty much pushing Russia towards reacting Militarily. I for one Do Not want to go down that path, it will not be good for either side. The politicians and Corporate companies who stand to make huge amounts of money and power grabs may think so, And that is what is so scary. They dont think rationally

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Will Crimea joining NATO be the straw? What says ATS?

The thing about Crimea is it is the home of the Russian Black Sea Fleet. It isn't whether Crimea is going to switch sides, that would be like the US letting go of Hawaii. The US military at Pearl Harbor would never allow it. Same in Crimea. Vital strategic base in Sevastepol for Russia.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

And considering over 50% of Crimeans voted for the United Russia party during the September elections I very much doubt they will be clamoring for NATO to come save them.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Logically there can be no conventional 3rd world war.

Whichever side has it's back against the wall will use all options to survive.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Asymmetric economic warfare has already started. The Arctic is irrelevant @ $50 crude. Smaller proxy wars opening up on multiple fronts. The West has to use proxies because it has too much to lose.

Russia therefore, tries to act like it can engage directly in an offensive manner. It can't. The only viable direct threat is MAD.

Unless they have some game changing weapons, they will get owned in a conventional conflict.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Dabrazzo

They didn't like what happened in Kiev either.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

No, not many did, seeing right wing ultra nationalists sacking your government and turning on the people, well, Im not entirely surprised.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
More sabre rattling from the Kremlin. What a surprise.

Indeed. What the autocrats in the Russian Kleptocracy fear is a successful West which will eventually be the pressure for change in Russia ala the fall of the Soviet Union. There's just so much corruption and thieving the Russian people will take as they watch all the old nations that once sat at Russia's knees prosper in the democratic West.

The sabre rattling and the increased nationalism in Russia, coupled with increased control of the media represents the only thing the Russian autocrats can do.

The West will play the long game. Just like the Cold War. Russia is impotent and left fiddling and fumbling with neighbours, like Georgia and Ukraine.

Regards

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

Asymmetric economic warfare has already started. The Arctic is irrelevant @ $50 crude. Smaller proxy wars opening up on multiple fronts. The West has to use proxies because it has too much to lose.

Russia therefore, tries to act like it can engage directly in an offensive manner. It can't. The only viable direct threat is MAD.

Unless they have some game changing weapons, they will get owned in a conventional conflict.

Well, I sure hope MAD doesn't happen. Then I won't be able to log on to ATS! Russia is rumored to be building up its arsenal for armed conflict. I think they have something up their sleeve.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Dabrazzo

They didn't like what happened in Kiev either.

Their democratically elected ally getting overthrown by a western backed Nazi coup. No wonder Putin is getting barky. He's got every right to act in the manner he does. US has got to give a little regarding Russia, accept it has its near abroad going back before USA got invented. From a Russian pair of shoes NATO really is pushing it too far regarding Ukraine.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
There is no logic or profit or reasoning to start a ww3

I found a picture of 99,9% of worlds population and buildings after ww3

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I always see people referring to Nukes when it comes to World War 3. But they way I see it, it's stupid. Fire 1 nuke and you'll have a tsunami of nukes flying back at you. Then it causes a tidal wave of nukes all over the world. In the end you don't win. So why would any nation Threaten or warn of Nuclear weapons? In the end nobody wins. Also it's a stupid threat because the other nation is prepared with their own nukes... Shoot me and I shoot back.

But nukes or no nukes, with all the armament and firepower it nations around the world, we wouldn't need nukes to completely kill ourselves... I really want a WW3 to happen. Why? Because I am young and stupid. But I would want the world and human race to still be alive after the war. Idk sometimes people resolve their problems with a fist fight. I guess I'm just hoping for a better world

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

I get what your saying but just hope the fighting doesn't show up on your door step.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Oh and I am curious about the whole "world would be uninhabitable if nukes went off" Hiroshima is very habitable and it has been for years. Is it just because it was only one? Is the nuclear winter scenario talked up? I genuinely want to know, I am not being a douche lol

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shepard64

Oh and I am curious about the whole "world would be uninhabitable if nukes went off" Hiroshima is very habitable and it has been for years. Is it just because it was only one? Is the nuclear winter scenario talked up? I genuinely want to know, I am not being a douche lol

Read this if you have the time

zidbits.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join