It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fundies. Put A Lid On it!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
your friend put out some bait. she got some bites.

And you're hear to complain that the fish was too big?

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Just seconding, or more accurately thirding the sentiments expressed by Cuervo and Grimpachi. The fact is that there is more than enough negativity pouring out of the mouths of the human race in this day and age, without even the most positive things being rendered toxic by a lack of imagination and tolerance on the part of a select few, ignorant fools, on all sides of the religious compass.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

It's called shorthand.

-NF

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: sweord

Why is it that someone offering seasonal greetings, of any denomination or faith, ought to be considered bait? If I send a message to the entire internet, wishing them all a happy new year, should I expect someone to take offence at my doing so!?

The simple fact of the matter, is that someone placed a greeting in a public place, open handed, open hearted, and got slapped down by a moron for her trouble. Surely you can see that there is something wrong with that?

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I think you're being naïve.

we all know there are certain things that can be said that are always going to get a rise out of some people.

It doesn't mean you aren't allowed to say it and it certainly doesn't mean its wrong.

but complaining and acting surprised is a little stupid.

ill flip it on you...do you really think she expected to get no response from xstians at all? cmon.

Just because shes right doesn't mean shes not aware its gonna get a response too.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

If I put forward a greeting out of a sense of good cheer and positive motivation, then the very last thing I expect, or will accept is animosity.

It is simple. If I extend a hand of greeting, and I receive abuse, then someone goes home with a broken arm, and it is not often me.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
When I was on FB, I had a former friend like that. I got a reaming & why I was doooooomed for the fires of hell after posting "Happy Holidays" because my list was mixed -- jews, pagan, christians, atheists -- it was, as far as I'm concerned, considerate. She laid into me, and I didn't have the give a damn to listen to her self-righteous twaddle. I told her in no uncertain terms she was a useless small-minded, knuckle-dragging asshole and to kindly STFU & get back to the bedroom like a good submissive Catholic girl. Surprisingly, she did (shut up, that is. No idea if she actually hit the bed with legs in air)

I ended up unfriending her later on after she went on a blatantly racist & homophobic tirade. Instead of backing herself up when most of her friends list was royally offended, she had her husband take over her argument from her account. It was weaksauce, and she lost a lot of "friends" that day.
edit on 12/26/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

edit on 26-12-2014 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

personally I don't think physical responses to verbal conflicts is a good idea but unlike you im not a Christian so...I haven't read the entire bible. I must have missed that chapter when jesus broke peoples arms instead of turning the other cheek.

As I said I think you are being naïve and giving a little too much credit to our OP's 'angelic' friend. Perhaps because you are a good person who wouldn't offer an insincere greeting you cant fathom others doing it.

I can admit to being cynical though...

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Well the sort of carriers of animosity I am used to encountering rarely bother with verbal abuse, and just go straight for the lethal assault approach, hence the broken arm, rather than the quick witted riposte.

The point stands however. The simple fact of the matter is, that Christians should not react badly to others expressing their religious freedoms. We enjoy our religious freedoms, and have done for hundreds of years, and for many of those years we did so to the exclusion of others freedoms. That situation was always wrong, and I for one find it a much better state of affairs that EVERYONE, has the freedom to celebrate their faith, no matter what it may be.

As I said, free will is something God given by the lore which governs my faith. It is not for any of us to judge a person, it is explicitly recommended against in fact. A persons free will choice, to worship either the God to whom I swear fealty, or not, is not a matter for any of us to judge, if we wish to call ourselves Christian, and mean it when we say it.

It also has to be said, that the reality of the situation is that there were winter celebrations happening in the world before the time of the birth of Jesus Christ, and the people who pay homage to the old ways from before hand, have every right under law to celebrate their religious holy days, just like we Christians do. In fact, from a purely historical standpoint , we really ought to celebrate Christmas in either late spring, or early autumn, since historically speaking these would have been more likely to be periods where the necessary elements from the story of his birth would have come about in conjunction.

Either during the Jewish Passover, earlier in the year, or during another feast day of theirs later on in the year, would have been much more likely times for a census to be taken, and would also have explained why there would have been no room at the inn, because both events would have drawn people from all over the place to Bethlehem, causing the room shortage in question.

The fact is that the timing of the Christian celebration of Christmas, was probably selected because previous religious holidays like Yule, or winter solstice or something similar were already being celebrated at this point in the year, which would have made it easier to get all the celebrating done in the same time frame, and one has to assume, which would also have made it easier for some of those involved with pagan religious practice to convert. People do love a routine after all. So ever since the Christian expansion, we have had Christmas during the wintertime, and I think it is about time that Christians, pagans, atheists, everyone who has something to celebrate at this time of year, came together in love, rather than allowing themselves to be overcome with an overprotective instinct.

We Christians have had hundreds of years of exclusive rights to party down around this time of year, despite the chronological inexactitude that represents, and so it is bad form at its utmost for a Christian to flame on a pagan for celebrating what is a much older holiday, and one which in all likelihood has more relevance to this time of year!

Can we not just damned well love one another? Please?

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I certainly think it is a sad state of affairs when I must worry about if I give a joyful greeting or wish someone a happy whatever that they may retort in a vapid way because it isn't their prefered greeting or wish.

I was seriously on my toes the other day saying Merry Christmas to those at my mothers ALF having to consciously remind myself not to say anything else. Generally I just say whatever comes to mind but with some types with their perceived Christmas War going on you just can't tell what could happen. Personally I like the sound of solstace more recently festivus but you never know with people.

I don't use FB on any regular basis just when I am traveling out of country and I don't plan on changing that. I wish I knew of a better tool for travels then I would delete that account.

I still don't understand why anyone would turn vapid over wishing goodwill in any form. The people that do make issue with it seem a bit bonkers to me but I am afraid that craziness is being encouraged by media types.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: sweord
your friend put out some bait. she got some bites.

And you're hear to complain that the fish was too big?

You mean like the bait you just put out? Nice try.

Happy New Year. I hope it's the best year of your life, and you pay it forward.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

you have assumed the 'friend' is a genuine pagan celebrating her solstice. If this is true then I am wrong and I agree with you.

however, Klassified has admitted to believing in no god. he said as much in the original post.

Atheists tend to hang out in bunches so I (perhaps incorrectly) assumed the friend was an atheist too.

therefore what you see as a pagan celebrating her religion, I saw as an atheist deliberately baiting Christians with the idea that the holiday they are in fact celebratiing is nothing more than the solstice. Also implying that jesus never existed at all. After all there is no reason for an atheist to worship the sun is there?

Im sure you are aware of the movie zeitgeist and the theory that it supposes that jesus is in fact the sun that 'dies' for 3 days between dec 22nd and dec 25th before rising again. many other coincidences are put forth in the movie but that one pertains to xmas the most from memory because of the timing. The area of study is called astrotheology but you probably know this being a member of ATS.

If the friend in question is a sun worshipper more power to her, and I apologise, in fact we'd probably get along. Makes more sense then worshipping anything else as far as I can see.

But if not the 'happy solstice' is more likely a veiled jab at Christians. Or Xstians as the OP so respectfully referred to them. but hey, im sure he wasn't trying to bait anyone either...

As I said im a cynical prick.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

not putting out any bait.

just reporting how I read the OP.

read my post above...if she is a pagan or witch or sun worshipper or whatever I apologise.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
You bring up a good point, and I should have stated in my OP that she is pagan. Unlike me, she is not a total heathen, just a partial one.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

well that clears that up then.

happy new year to you too.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Atheists do not hang out in bunches!

Good grief! My best friends in the world are two atheists, a pagan, my sister is agnostic, I have another pair of friends who are a married Muslim couple, and we all hang out fairly regularly, all at the same place! With specific regard to my atheist buddies, they have friends who are catholic, Protestant, lone wolves like me, Earth worshipers, straight up non-denominational hippies, the list goes on.

My point is that there is no reason why you ought to doubt a persons faith because of who they associate with! By that token, I ought to chuck out my Bible right now, because apparently atheists only hang out with other atheists, so I must be atheist by association! What rot!

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Atheists tend to hang out in bunches so I (perhaps incorrectly) assumed the friend was an atheist too.

How did you come by that assumption because that is certainly news to me. I mean the part where you assume atheists hang out in bunches. As an atheist myself I hang out with people I have come to know as good people I honestly don't care if they have religious beliefs or what they may be. I have had religious people that once they found out I wasn't religious drop me as friends so maybe I didn't judge their character as well as I thought to begin with. To be honest with you I don't think any of my friends offline are atheists so your assumption is really befuddling to me so please as I asked can you explain how you came to that belief?

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
True. My best friend for going on 49 years, whom I call the brother I never had, is still very Christian, and teases me about being a heathen. We are an unlikely pair to be sure, but I can't imagine life without the old geezer. He's a good man.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I didn't say that atheists only interact with atheists did I?

You've twisted my words even more than your knickers!

And my experience PARTICULATLY on social networking sites, more so than offline, is people of all faiths and beliefs do tend to 'hang out' together.

A natural reaction to the internet seeming to be more argumentative than life offline no doubt. safety in numbers and all.

You might want to wake up to the fact that you (and therefore your friends) would be an exception and possibly aren't the best judge of what is 'normal'. take that as a compliment.

I cant imagine that there are too many Christians that are proud of breaking peoples arms and enjoying satanic themed music...You are hardly a measure of the norm my friend. Once again, take that as a compliment.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join