It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fundies. Put A Lid On it!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

Your kidding arnt you? Try google, its your friend, read a typical creation evolution thread where the atheists decides what others think and must believe.

Grimpachi said...

They assigned like 426 attributes which pretty much means that if a person is an atheist in any way then they are a fundie atheist. Oh well nice try. Funny though.

Which is why I asked for your definition. The kind of atheists you're referring to, are not just atheists. They are anti-theists as well. Just as not all christians are are extreme fundamentalists. Not all atheists are anti-theists.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: sweord

An atheist and a catholic meeting on ATS (of all places) and becoming friends offline however, is surprising to me. Even a little heart warming to be honest. Ive actually started writing a movie script based on the idea. I think its gonna be a real tear jerker...Oscar material.

Then let me help you with your script. I met a Catholic here at ATS whom I consider a friend. We used to do a radio show together, along with a witch, and an agnostic. We don't get to talk much lately, since he doesn't frequent ATS any more for personal reasons, and I've been going through my own issues in life. But he is a good man, and has my respect. He's earned it more than once.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Im sure you are aware of the movie zeitgeist and the theory that it supposes that jesus is in fact the sun that 'dies' for 3 days between dec 22nd and dec 25th before rising again.

Which is exactly the truth. Whether or not the movie has been 'condemned' (*insert missing eyeroll smiley here*) by the faithfully blind, it has been covered over and over and over again, and found over and over again, and more so as more discoveries are made - to be THE TRUTH.

There's a book by Tom Harpur that you might give a read - along with the works of thousands of other scholars and historians over the CENTURIES that have said the same thing.

For forty years and in nine previous books, scholar and religious commentator Tom Harpur has challenged church orthodoxy and guided thousands of readers on subjects as controversial as the true nature of Christ and life after death. Now, in his most radical and groundbreaking work, Harpur digs deep into the origins of Christianity. What he has discovered will have a profound effect on the way we think about religion.

Long before the advent of Jesus Christ, the Egyptians and other peoples believed in the coming of a messiah, a madonna and her child, a virgin birth, and the incarnation of the spirit in flesh. The early Christian church accepted these ancient truths as the very tenets of Christianity but disavowed their origins.

What began as a universal belief system based on myth and allegory became instead, in the third and fourth centuries A.D., a ritualistic institution headed by ultraconservative literalists. "The transcendent meaning of glorious myths and symbols was reduced to miraculous, quite unbelievable events. The truth that Christ was to come in man, that the Christ principle was potentially in each of us, was changed to the exclusivist teaching that the Christ had come as a man."

Harpur's message is clear: Our blind faith in literalism is killing Christianity. Only with a return to an inclusive religion will we gain a true understanding of who we are and who we are intended to become. Drawing on the work of scholars such as Gerald Massey and Alvin Boyd Kuhn, Tom Harpur has written a book of rare insight and power.

edit on 12/27/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
BuzzyWigs! What an honor. Glad to see you're still hanging around with the rest of us heathens, and thanks for chiming in.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

An atheist and a catholic meeting online and becoming friends would be a pretty rare thing I reckon.

Nope. Not at all.

Now that you've fairly successfully removed your foot from your mouth, how about just leaving it alone? Some of my very favorite ATS friends are Catholics - others are Wiccans/Pagans - a few atheists; and I am an agnostic.

Perhaps the 'rare' event is when intelligent, thoughtful people find one another. There are far fewer of them (us) than there are fundie humbugs and hell-fire Xtians on most sites.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

You know I love ya! Been busy with an endeavor to actually earn some cha-ching - and it has kept me preoccupied since Labor Day. But - I'm on 'vacation' now.

Happy Solstice and New Year to you, Klass!
And to everyone else.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: sweord
@nyiah

unless you actually met those friends online then I don't see what that's got to do with the post you quoted.

And atheists and 'the religious' being friends offline is not hard to wrap my head around at all.

If you actually read my posts you would see that ive already said as much two whole posts ago.

But you obviously want to disagree with me about something so don't let what ive actually typed stop you.

An atheist and a catholic meeting on ATS (of all places) and becoming friends offline however, is surprising to me.

Indeed, we did meet online, otherwise I wouldn't have responded to that post with the example. One Catholic friend even had the opportunity to come visit us from halfway across the country. We jumped on it, the kids had fun, the grown ups had fun, and we still talk daily (hell,we were texting right after they had to go back to their hotel for the night while both of us weren't even back at our abodes yet)
I've known that particular family for 8 years, and I met the mom online. I've known other people a lot longer (met one online in the 90's playing cards on Yahoo Games when it was the only place out there yet)

Why are you so resistant to the idea of people of faith/no faith, or different faiths getting along & liking each other? And especially to the idea of online friendships. Bud, the bulk of the people I consider friends on ATS, a lot aren't atheist, and I don't care.
edit on 12/27/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

It seems "atheist fundie" is in the urban dictionary but I got a kick out of another site that claimed to define it here

Well here is a previous post from a member of what I would consider an AF
I will highlight the classic AF positions they take

I really wonder why people still believe in god and or gods in this day and age. There are even new religions like scientology which are just as crazy which people are following. Science has advanced to the point where we understand and know for a fact that these stories from long ago are just that (man-made) trying to explain the unknowable at the time. Now religion is more of a hindrance to mankind progressing than anything else and we know it has been that way for such a long time.

People have been and still are being killed because of fairytales. Churches, popes, clergy……the list goes on have in prisoned, tortured, murdered… and on and on because science disproves what is in their text.

Lots of evidence that attacks belief but in reality I can and have and can justify saying the same things about atheists

I mean atheism is not quantifiable
Do you understand the word equivocations, want to play at it as an atheist

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: Klassified

Question?

What the hell is an Xtian?

Every time I see this term and Xmas I laugh a little as it sounds so juvinile that some people can't bear the say or write the term "Christ" in their post.

Christmas is a national holiday and Christians celebrate Christmas.

Do you use the terms Xlam, Xadan, Xhist, or anything similarly derogatory for Islam, Ramadan, or Buddhist?

Is there some "special kind" of hate or dislike you personally hold for the word Christ in anything or is it supposed to be trendy and cute or something?

The only people who consider it offensive are those ignorant of it's meaning. It has to do with X being a Greek letter Chi or something or other and was used for a long time with no complaints. Look it up!

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch

originally posted by: Grimpachi

It seems "atheist fundie" is in the urban dictionary but I got a kick out of another site that claimed to define it here

Well here is a previous post from a member of what I would consider an AF
I will highlight the classic AF positions they take

I really wonder why people still believe in god and or gods in this day and age. There are even new religions like scientology which are just as crazy which people are following. Science has advanced to the point where we understand and know for a fact that these stories from long ago are just that (man-made) trying to explain the unknowable at the time. Now religion is more of a hindrance to mankind progressing than anything else and we know it has been that way for such a long time.

People have been and still are being killed because of fairytales. Churches, popes, clergy……the list goes on have in prisoned, tortured, murdered… and on and on because science disproves what is in their text.

Lots of evidence that attacks belief but in reality I can and have and can justify saying the same things about atheists

I mean atheism is not quantifiable
Do you understand the word equivocations, want to play at it as an atheist

Instead of trying to make such statements fit atheists turn it around or twist words instead I would have some respect for your post if you actually addressed such a statement.

It seems to me you are either completely ignoring what was said sticking your fingers in your ears going LaLaLa I can't here you because it may cause you some mental discomfort addressing real issues with your faith or by trying to turn that around in some twisted way you are admitting he that statement is right which even if you could turn it around you would only be trying to make two wrongs a right.

Either of those scenarios suck IMO and are useless drivel that gets nowhere. Hell I am surprised I even responded to your post but you addressed it to me for some reason instead of answering the poster who posted it. So you got my 2 cents now if that is what you were after.
edit on 27-12-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: sweord
a reply to: Grimpachi

An atheist and a catholic meeting online and becoming friends would be a pretty rare thing I reckon.

Not really, I'm an atheist & I have two of 'em as close friends. Episcopalians, Protestants, Lutherans, Pentecostals, and a few other denoms as well. The Catholic snot I told off that infuriated her buddy list was, IMO, the anomaly.

Exactly why is atheists & the religious being friends such a hard notion to wrap your mind around? Or Pagans & Christians, for that matter? (we have a bunch of mutual Pagan friends, too! Wow, who knew!) It's more a matter of being yourself, and being tolerant of others being themselves, too. We've all had debates over whether or not a tree spirit exists, and whether or not Jesus ever did, but we're all still friends because in the end, we're more than the mere sum of our beliefs.

I have friends who are Catholic, Buddhist, Quaker, Unitarian Universalist, Methodist, Pagan, Wiccan, Seventh Day Adventist, Lutheran, atheist and even fundamentalist Christian.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I know it is likely the truth.

why do you think I brought it up?

since you seen keen on forming a book club I recommend:

Astrotheology & Shamanism by Jan Irvin & Andrew Rutajit

Or you could watch the movie The Pharmacratic Inquisition which is likely on you tube.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Nope. Not at all.

Now that you've fairly successfully removed your foot from your mouth, how about just leaving it alone? Some of my very favorite ATS friends are Catholics - others are Wiccans/Pagans - a few atheists; and I am an agnostic.

Perhaps the 'rare' event is when intelligent, thoughtful people find one another. There are far fewer of them (us) than there are fundie humbugs and hell-fire Xtians on most sites.

304000 members on ATS.

4 of them have shown up here to say they have made friends with people of another faith.

seems like a open and closed case.

Of course the atheists who hate religion and religious people aren't really going to show up here and defend me are they?

what kind of person is going to come to a thread and openly admit to despising people just because of their faith and for no other good reason?

I also said 'pretty' rare. meaning of course it happens. I would say 4 out of 304000 is pretty rare.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

im resistant to the idea because its what I see online. generally ideas are formed by observations.

that's why I said it. because from where I sit its what I have observed...is that ok?

its called an opinion. Note how I said "i reckon". this implies it is an opinion.

I think the more pertinent question is why you care about proving my opinion wrong so much?

telling me about your specific story doesn't really change much. I can talk about Ron Paul, it doesn't mean all politicians are good does it?

perhaps if you realised that the relationships you have formed online are likely not the way the internet usually 'goes down' then you would appreciate your friends even more than you do now.

This no doubt will lead to many more Disney moments as you so painfully described before. you forgot to mention how the sun was shining through the leaves and the birds where singing songs no man has heard before...what a glorious day it must have been. congratulations on the wonderful friendships you have formed but please give me time to get my vomit bag if you're going to regale me with more.

Most threads on ATS devolve into sh*t fights like this of people just trying to be right. same with you tube comments. Your inability to admit this or see it makes you look like either a 'right fighter' or blind. perhaps when you see a thread like that you remove yourself? that doesn't mean they aren't there.

the internet is what you make it to a certain extent I get that.

Perhaps im talking about anti-theists...I hadn't heard that term before. and will use it in the future.

edit on 27-12-2014 by sweord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I'm curious as to why you're clearly so unhappy within hours after a celebration of the birth of your savior? It would seem that the afterglow of such a joyous occasion would last at least a few days.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

You are clearly taking the hostile route if your posts (especially this last one) are any indication. The question shouldn't be of whether or not atheists and the religious can be friends, but "Why the bleep is Sweord so damned nasty about it?"

Look at your responses in this thread and ask again why so few have responded to your question. Think hard, I know it's difficult. Your attitude may be, quite possibly, a turn-off to many more than not, and people are simply ignoring you because you're not worth the interaction with.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

interesting. you have assumed im religious...why? because we are arguing.

because most of the time people argue online over faith its a Christian and an atheist (anti-theist!) going at it.

pretty good evidence supporting my opinion if you ask me.

I actually have no problem with your assumption because it makes perfect sense based on previous observations. Its a mistake but a perfectly understandable one to me. Some of my comments I would have thought left no doubt I wasn't religious but nevermind.

but several atheists here will no doubt be along to rip into you because of the outlandish assumption you have just made.

After all they are such fair individuals who will pull someone up on their incorrect assumption no matter whether their beliefs are aligned or not. right guys?

ill wait...

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

what question?

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Pardon, your assumption that Catholics and Atheists cannot be friendly. I guess I mentally flagged it as a veiled question.

You're still being unreasonably hostile. Debating the veracity of religion or no religion is not the same as being a blatant ass & alienating people for the eff of it because of religion/no religion.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I guess you mentally flagged incorrectly.

It was statement of my opinion.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join