It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK police arrest man for offensive tweet and other disturbing trends

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: neformore

So I take it you missed the part where I said that I sincerely hope this wouldn't turn into a US vs. Uk thread. I also mentioned that the US is guilty of the same kind of nonsense, and the purpose of this thread wasn't to bash the UK, or her citizens.

Here.

Can we PLEASE not turn this into a US vs. UK thing? It isn't at all the point. I'm not attacking the UK and especially not people who live there. Creepy crap gets passed in the US all the time too. My intent here is to highlight just how disturbing things can get when the government gets it's way and to caution those of us that aren't at the same level yet to not give an inch because clearly we will lose miles.

I was really hoping we could have an open and honest discussion about this, with everyone included, and not getting needlessly upset. I didn't want Americans getting a complex, and I was hoping people in the UK wouldn't think this was a slight. This is not a UK vs. United States issue. I'm on your side. At least I hoped you would have considered me an ally. I'm surprised you think these laws are acceptable, surprised you think this is somehow an us vs. them thread, and surprised you think I am in any way bashing the UK. I take issue with the policies and procedures in the OP, but that doesn't mean I dislike the UK.

One of my posts is agreeing with another member that says this isn't a country problem, but a world problem. It is. If you have laws like this that are vague it really is a problem.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Well I am outraged that a media outlet with such respected journalism as the Daily Record called the refuse removal and recycling facilitator a bin lorry.

Those innocent shoppers lives taken in their prime so near to Christmas by a tragic accident and the Daily Record abuses their memory by claiming that it was just a bin lorry.

I for one will be reporting this outrage to the police. Our American cousins probably have no idea what a bin lorry is and have suffered untold mental stress by the weak reporting standards of the Daily Record thinking the Axis of evil was in Scotland.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Coming from Glasgow myself I have to say the idiot in question is a complete retard. End of the day through the halfwit does not deserve gaol time, just stitches. I'm just not up for paying council tax to keep idiots incarcerated. Gaol is for criminals not twats that make poor jokes in poor taste.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   

makes me think about the bumper sticker laws in some states.

you know like,
sh@@ happens.

or bosses are like diapers, always on your a@@, and full of sh@@.

(post by TheCrowMan removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by TheCrowMan removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I don't blame the police. They don't make these stupid laws. The guy turned himself in too.

I do when they have the authority to NOT enforce these draconian laws. My brother (an LEO) has no fear of drinking and driving. Want to know why?

Do you blame the police who tracked down and hung the run-away slaves? Or the lawmakers?

I blame the people who actually DID the job.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I've not finished reading the whole article yet but thought I'd respond anyway - I wouldn't call it illegal myself, I mean its a dumb thing to put out on twitter and maybe was someone trying to show off or get attention that they desperately crave but to arrest someone for what they write...hmmmm a little too much like N.Korea or Germany for me.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

End of the day the statement made by the moron in question was in extremely poor taste. Shame on him for causing additional anguish to anyone affected by such a horrific incident.

I certainly would not be associated with the fellow ever again if i did know him, through i dont think its an issue for the law. The person in question should simply be ostracized or receive a bump to the mouth. Attention seeking in the extreme if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

So I take it you missed the part where I said that I sincerely hope this wouldn't turn into a US vs. Uk thread.

But it was always going to be one because, like I said, folks in the USA are almost incapable of understanding a different viewpoint.

I'm suprised guns haven't been mentioned yet. I'm sure it will come.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
NO You didn't get it wrong....
What I need is a foot in mouth icon not tounge in cheek .
What I tried to convey was that we me you could all get arrested if we re tweet wich I cant as I don't tweet or twerk for that matter.
But if there making words an sick jokes told on social media .
Whom or what is guilty? And what is the offfence?
Is it the concept of the sick vile joke or is it the writing down of said sick joke .
If it the latter then the perpetrater could never face court /justice.
In Scotland we have three court s Distric Court minor offences Sheriff Court if you need shooting..JOKE..AN High Court for murderes ect.
If its an offence to write an re write such vile comment /alleged joke .
Then how could prosecution summons be served on a person.
The clerk of court would be commiting an offence by printing the offensive text as would the journo who reported it for his paper.
As would I or you or anyone whom brought it up for discussssion on any type of foroum.
Unless said forum was a toilet wall in an asylum for retards.

Any way as its boxing day lets all be civil an keep the gloves on
Love Pease an all that good stuff,.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: neformore

So I take it you missed the part where I said that I sincerely hope this wouldn't turn into a US vs. Uk thread.

But it was always going to be one because, like I said, folks in the USA are almost incapable of understanding a different viewpoint.

I'm suprised guns haven't been mentioned yet. I'm sure it will come.

Really Neformore? You are a "super moderator" and you are intentionally baiting and derailing a thread? I expected better and it is depressing to see such comments from you.

Seems a little self-moderating may be in order.

Back to the OP:

Admittedly it was tasteless and insensitive but such is toilet humour. Where do you draw the line on such things? Is it a slippery slope that ends where everyone walks around afraid to make eye contact in fear of offending others? It truly is a sad state when it gets to a point where rather than just shaking your head and walking away you grab your phone and snitch because your 'delicate sensibilities' were offended. People really need to stop getting their knickers in a knot and return to a live and let live philosophy.
edit on 12/26/2014 by Kukri because: Edit to address OP

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ecossiepossie
Unless said forum was a toilet wall in an asylum for retards.

Sorry for the non PC COMMMENT
I REALLISE That the pc term for asylum for retards is in fact prison.
Or the house of commons and Lords an any civic council meeting you have the misfortune of attending.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
If I should happen to look at the tv at the wrong moment I might see an image that I find traumatic and it might even affect my sleep patern, nightmares etc...
I want such images removed. Surely its my right to be able go about my life without being forced to endure such horrors!

But I also believe we should ALL have free speech! and freedom of speech must be defended!

Solution!
I know the images will appear on tv so I'll stay away from tv.
I know the images will be on the internet and I'll try to avoid them.
If should run into them on the internet, its my own fault for knowingly taking the risk.

Dont want to see it? Then dont look!!

However!! I'm always grateful to op's who put a "Warning" at the top of their ops when they contain horrific graphics.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
DP.
edit on 26-12-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

Not derailing, socially commenting - unlike yourself who couldn't help but play the "mod" card.

Still, thats your problem, not mine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join