It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Future of Racing: On and Off Road

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...?cmpid=cmty_plus_fn

These are definitely some badass tires, but can you imagine the cost? Just to get a decent set of tires that will last and get you through the wet or slippery roads, usually cost around $200 each. These are only concept designs and it's just a fun competition by Hankook to see who can come up with the craziest design. But, I'd sure like to have a set of the Boostrac.

Hankook Tire just showed off the results of its Design Innovation Project, a bi-annual daydream challenge to come up with the wildest, most futuristic tire concepts imaginable. This year's winners are amazingly sci-fi: Morphing, transforming tires that change with the terrain to drive on pavement, dirt, snow, and even water.

First up is the Boostrac, whose hexagonal treads can expand like a blowfish to dig into steep, rough, loose terrain.

Next is the Alpike, which expands its diameter to increase ground clearance and opens up deep channels in its tread to grip snow and ice.

This is the most bonkers, badass concept of the three: HyBlade, with waterwheel treads and propeller spokes for navigating deep water. So, so awesome.

Wanna see how all three work? Hankook's got a concept video that turns the Transformers-meets-Star-Wars aesthetic all the way up to eleven.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I would buy the ones that let me drive on water but they need to build those cars as well along with deployable bombs and stop sticks. They would make excellent getaway cars.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Pretty neat tire technology. I think the cars need laser propulsion though...

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Love to see some form of anti-gravity/hover racing become mainstream like Wipe Out, tracks and all. Not going to happen any-time soon i imagine.

edit on 21-12-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

I would buy the ones that let me drive on water but they need to build those cars as well along with deployable bombs and stop sticks. They would make excellent getaway cars.

On water? That's easy.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Those tires.... wow!.... I love future stuff.... the ingenuity of some people .....

We wanted THESE for our off-road toy, but they only come with that one ATV. So looks like my husband won't have them under the Christmas tree this year.... or any year in the near future....

Polaris says the TerrainArmor tires can be punctured by something as large as a railroad spike, or pierced by a .50 caliber bullet, and keep going for hundreds of miles. In fact, the plastic web can sustain up to 30 percent damage and still work. Even if you get a couple of small holes in the tread, Polaris says there’s no need to replace or repair them.

source

top topics

join