It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So North Korea was behind the SONY Hack?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
If in fact N. Korea are the hackers. I believe it would be time to send them a undetectable virus to screw up their computer system. Something like a stutz.net virus, except this one to cripple their hackers networks.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Senior administration officials, who would not speak on the record about the intelligence findings, said the White House was still debating whether to publicly accuse North Korea of what amounts to a cyberterrorism campaign.

Officials said it was not clear how the White House would decide to respond to North Korea. Some within the Obama administration argue that the government of Mr. Kim must be directly confronted, but that raises the question of what consequences the administration would threaten — or how much of its evidence it could make public without revealing details of how the United States was able to penetrate North Korean computer networks to trace the source of the hacking.

Source: www.huffingtonpost.com...

There was a woman interviewed (plugging her book) on The Dailey Show last week, and she had been teaching in NK for a year. She strongly felt NK was not responsible for the recent hacks, saying she taught at an institution that is "their equivalent to MIT", and they barely even had computers. The ones they have are very weak and outdated, she said.

Makes you wonder if she was being intentionally misleading. The US is now saying we underestimated NK.

Perplexing!

edit on 12/18/2014 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

NK likely bankrolled hackers in China or Russia to do the dirty work for them.

On top of that, you don't really need top of the line equipment to break into databases. Anything with a reasonable internet connection would work fine. True hacking is done from a command line, so you don't need anything like today's powerful processors and graphics to the work. Machines from even the mid 90's would be enough.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

NK likely bankrolled hackers in China or Russia to do the dirty work for them.

Of course. That's the ticket!

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
If in fact N. Korea are the hackers. I believe it would be time to send them a undetectable virus to screw up their computer system. Something like a stutz.net virus, except this one to cripple their hackers networks.

It's not that easy. STuxnet and Flame were developed with an end goal in mind, specific systems and specific instructions on what to do with those systems.

I doubt that NK has those actual hardware capabilities in NK. But they certainly have the money to fund such an operation.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I doubt that NK has those actual hardware capabilities in NK. But they certainly have the money to fund such an operation.

I don't. They mostly likely got the tech,and training from China.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
People need to be aware.

Cyberwarfare is the 'poor mans' nuke.

There will be a lot more events like this. Especially after seeing how successful it is.

And with little if any reprecussions.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I don't. They mostly likely got the tech,and training from China.

I agree with you as I find it strange so many confidently underestimate the opposition, from my understanding it is unwise to underestimate the opposition.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Nah I think they hired a group of folks to carry out these attacks. If they had the hardware, there'd be no reason to pull server take overs and a bunch of other dirty tricks like they did during the attacks.

Point to point would have been more efficient, although easier to track I suppose.

Either way, China is definitely involved considering all of NK's internet traffic must come from there.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

We have yet to see if the Obama administration will respond yet. It's likely they will levy consequences of some sort, and no doubt there will be platitudes to the American public.

I won't hold my breath for anything concrete, but I don't think the U.S. response will be "Just sit back and take it"

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

We have yet to see if the Obama administration will respond yet.

More golf that will be his 'response'.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_
This is impossible according to many members on this board. The reason being, again according to many members on this board, is because this is N. Korea's current tech:

So, if they pulled of a hack of this magnitude with that tech, then we are all doomed if they get their hands on anything modern!

Look I have a propaganda picture too but mine is from the 40's.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

haha or more sportscenter

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
You gotta be kidding me.

Senior administration officials, who would not speak on the record about the intelligence findings, said the White House was debating whether to publicly accuse North Korea of what amounts to a cyberterrorism attack.

www.nytimes.com...

Debate it?

Why yes we can't hurt NO. KO's poor wittle feeling's now.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
According to Wired, evidence is just to minimal to truly point the finger at NK. Interestingly, the Wired article was first published with the title "North Korea Almost Certainly Did Not Hack Sony" but was subsequently adjusted to something less inflammatory. I think the next question is, why do they want to point the blame at NK so badly?

www.wired.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
america got away with the dictator movie, so they thought they would tweak korea's nose too. if you cant take the stings, then dont piss on the bee hive.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Are you serious, this is wrong on so many levels. cyberwar, strategic cyber attacks are the future. bringing down mainframes, grids for city's, states, whole econimic structure. was it not American weapons who's own computer chips were virused for intel.

microchips made in China and installed on American military hardware could contain viruses or secret backdoors granting the Chinese military cyber access to U.S. weapons systems Read more: defensetech.org... Defense.org

defensetech.org...

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: PLAYERONE01

And just what is 'wrong' about it ?

Everyone has access. There's no bans on it. There are no treaties. There is NO NOTHING.

The death, and destruction is comparable to what wmd's can do.

But hey whatever.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Putin would be threatening thermonuclear landscaping, Obama needs to at least say something in response to these cyber Acts of War.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
People need to be aware.

There will be a lot more events like this. Especially after seeing how successful it is.

And with little if any reprecussions.

right, because korea's nukes keep getting thirsty.

so they rely on digital herpes instead.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join