It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discussion on Autonomous Aerial Refueling

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

I was also wondering with your experience, if the -46 will have any changes or affects on UAS refueling? Are there built in systems that make this easier than with the older platforms?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I wouldnt be suprised with the correct data link you could control the UAVs from a tanker for refuling. Doing so would increase crew, weight and decrease cargo. But then you wouldnt need automated refulings. From the other end a automated tanker sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. But I dont know how good the automated systems are these days.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

Yeah that was exactly what I was thinking. One of the biggest issues with areal UAS refueling is latency. Having a local operator inside the KC-46 for refueling purposes only [I'm wondering] might alleviate this.

Anyone refute this?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: aholic
a reply to: boomer135

I was also wondering with your experience, if the -46 will have any changes or affects on UAS refueling? Are there built in systems that make this easier than with the older platforms?

I haven't heard of anything specific that it will have to help. But with full autonomy now, latency isn't an issue. They don't need a pilot on the ground to refuel. So no delay

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
If it's capable of flying tight formation, then there's no reason why it shouldn't be capable of in-flight refueling if properly equipped.

However that one video made me chuckle a little. For a while there, it looked like the logic tracking the drougue momentarily locked on the engine exhaust of the leading drone until somebody had an "oh s###!" moment and corrected it. (Because the AI is "thinking" about something round with a dark circle inside a lighter one.) I figure if their tracking software has any similarities to that in public domain, why not add some contrast markers to the drogue and make the AI's job a whole lot easier?

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
That's pretty funny. Any ideawwhere that video is? I'd like to see it.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: aholic

I believe he is refering to this one:

edit on 29-12-2014 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

ah yes that one from the OP. 'guess I didn't realize immediately what was going on there.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   

edit on 4/20/2015 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DBW00

Outstanding and good to have you on-board.

What kind of processing power was required to calculate the various real time inputs?
Did the programming allow for continued learning via prior experience or was it errr done on the fly- so to speak.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   
You have an important message in your Inbox. Click the envelope icon at the top right.
edit on 4/20/2015 by Blaine91555 because: snipped to send message

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join