It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS DDS attack from China. Why?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
According to Skeptic, it may have been from Korea via Chinese servers.

And I thought he'd spilled coffee on his keyboard again.

edit on 14/12/2014 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Interesting, I of course don't know who did this or why but to use such a thing to our/the West's advantage: isn't it also good practice in a way in case a cyber war breaks out?

It's slightly worrying how many essential systems are now computer and internet operated without a hand-operatable alternative.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
For anyone with a bit of knowldge, I ask how typical is this kind of attack?

Is this considerably larger than usual or just another blip or what?

I.e How serious?

Edit: I don't just mean an attack on ATS, I'm referring to this current attack...

map.ipviking.com...
edit on 14-12-2014 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   
For all we know, those monitoring sites fudge their data to make it look more impressive. How long can they fools people with fakes sites. I would think the hard core types are not being fooled.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Most of the computers used to launch the DDoS will be compromised and under the control of someone else and quite often people rent out their botnets or a part of it for the right price and the people running it could be anywhere in the world thus it could be a north korean agent sitting in a nice house somewhere in the US taking down/causing serious problems for anyone their masters tell them to

There are reasons why bursts are popular in that sudden influxes of requests can basically make a machine stall as most of its memory will be allocated to processes that may spend 30 secs to a minute to see if theres anything else before timing out and releasing the resources and i aint looked in years but there used to be 16 bits i think for possible ports so load it up with 2^16 requests and it'll sit there for a while and while its waiting go and send the same to another server

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

it's clear that someone, somewhere, is of the presumption that certain top-secret technologies that might otherwise be unavailable, can be purchased through us.

Well maybe they weren't happy their ATS shirts weren't made in China, or they are just unhappy with their ATS coffee mug they got as an early Christmas gift.

Hey, it could happen.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Dentists attacked ATS?!

What IS the world coming to.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
a reply to: new_here

Oh, since you asked about the little representation between S Am & Africa, I thought I should let you know it represents the "military/government" listing. Never paid it much attention, so I was kind of surprised hovering on each listing on the targets list and realized it was for mil/gov.

Yes I noticed that too! It's out in the middle of the ocean it seems. Is it a submarine? An aircraft carrier? I wonder.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: mr-lizard
For anyone with a bit of knowldge, I ask how typical is this kind of attack?

Is this considerably larger than usual or just another blip or what?

I.e How serious?

Edit: I don't just mean an attack on ATS, I'm referring to this current attack...

map.ipviking.com...

I don't know, either. But look who is the major attacker right now... Chile. And look again at the weird hexagonal Military thingy between the tip of S.A. and Africa. It is also attacking. So whose military is it?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
FYI: Mark and I still get the occasional purchase order via the contact ATS email address. Most are from Hong Kong or mainland China. In each case, it's clear that someone, somewhere, is of the presumption that certain top-secret technologies that might otherwise be unavailable, can be purchased through us.

Just sayin.

I can't decide if that's more humorous, or creepy-disturbing!

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This is what happens when 1 billion Chinese all want to see the LOL cat page on a website in the US.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: mr-lizard

Ok, I'm gonna quit watching this IPViking page. It's a little bit hypnotizing or something. One last pic... the UK is firing away. Can't complain, apparently we're attacking our own selves about half as much as China is. (Unless Chinese citizens are within our borders attacking from within. Now there's a conspiracy for ya...

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Weird, what the hell is that?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

My thoughts exactly. Where exactly is it located, and why the hexagonal shape? It is in fact sending attacks of its own. To the US.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I use PFSENSE and PFBLOCKER to firewall entire ranges belonging to countries I don't trust. Is this something useful that the average Joe at home could benefit from?

All you need is an old PC with 40GB or so hard drive and an extra network card. Free and easy to set up.

a reply to: pl3bscheese

edit on 14-12-2014 by ttropia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: new_here

My thoughts exactly. Where exactly is it located, and why the hexagonal shape? It is in fact sending attacks of its own. To the US.

i asked the same question when, on opening day of world of warcraft's lastest expansion (warlords of draenor),

blizzard (the company that makes world of warcraft) stated that they experienced a massive ddos attack just as the expansion went online. some of that was just the result of the influx of 3 million new subscribers all trying to log in at the same time and the other part was ddos attacks. when i asked what that hexagonal mil/gov was, and why it was attacking the usa, in a thread on their official forums, someone who knows about such things said that it could be infected .mil /.gov computers from any number of countries . all the honeypot knows is the addy is from the mils/govs in the world, which would include ANY country capable of having a mil or gov. since the actual source may not even be mil/gov, and is apparently untraceable, they get added to that hexagon representation (but only if the attack is from a mil/gov computer (hijacked or otherwise)

edit on 14-12-2014 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

As Nyiah said a page back, that location represents Mil/Gov nodes attacking. They put it there on the map because it's the middle of nowhere and so it just indicates that with some of the Mil/Gov attacks it's not possible to determine exactly where they are coming from.

The shape itself doesn't really mean much. It's just a marker on the map that can't be confused with anything else.

As for the attacks themselves, about a day ago the ones incoming to the US from China outnumbered those from within the US against US targets by about 2 to 1. But over time, that's altered and now they are much closer to par. This could suggest that the attackers have managed to gain control over more nodes in the US and are now using them to hit other US targets.

Here's screenshot from IPviking from 16:35 GMT yesterday. Note the attack totals from China vs. US. (This was a couple of hours after I'd loaded the site.)

Chine 22,872 vs. US 12,103

Now here's one from 15:04 GMT today:

China 22,424 vs. US 18,129

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Oh, since you asked about the little representation between S Am & Africa, I thought I should let you know it represents the "military/government" listing. Never paid it much attention, so I was kind of surprised hovering on each listing on the targets list and realized it was for mil/gov.

i'm not complaining, but what is it with "hottie" avatars...ok...off topic...

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

i'm not complaining, but what is it with "hottie" avatars...ok...off topic...

alot of the female hottie avatars are not female posters but men, who like having an avatar they can appreciate.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

They put it there on the map because it's the middle of nowhere and so it just indicates that with some of the Mil/Gov attacks it's not possible to determine exactly where they are coming from.

I wondered about that. If we were able to pin-point the exact origins of the attacks, we could stop it, right?
Swat team? Special Operations group of some sort? But this wouldn't call for military involvement would it? Not unless they really screwed with our infrastructure........ not just services provided by websites.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join