It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the United States Spread of Democracy Getting Out of Hand?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Has the United States, in its efforts to unite the world by spreading democracy, become out of hand and almost Nazi-esque by making democracy "mandatory." Though I think democracy is the only way to run a country, I think the Bush Administration has used the Spread of Democracy to also spread their Christian views on marriage, abortion rights, and other issues of discussion. In other words has the U.S used democracy to create a whole world of Christian and Hitler-esque views. Has the U.S in Iraq, and are lack of relations in the U.N. only taken us further away from what our country was "said to do."

Oh, and if you say this had been done, I haven't seen it.

[edit on 12-12-2004 by MKugs]

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Actually, I disagree that 'Democracy' is the right way to run a country. If that democracy means that 51% of the people get what they voted for and the other 49% are ignored, theres something wrong somewhere.

We really need a kind of proportional representation whereupon everyone's opinions are taken into account.

That said, I agree that the US' spread of 'Democracy' is getting out of hand. Forcing democracy upon a country can never be true democracy anyway.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Don't you think that forcing democracy on a country can be the beginning of a true democracy?

It may not be perfect right away, it may not even be democracy right away but it's a step in the right direction. 10, 20 or even 100 years down the line the country will have a tradition of democratic rule which will make it that much harder for a totalitarian regime to take over.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I think the Bush Administration has used the Spread of Democracy to also spread their Christian views on marriage, abortion rights, and other issues of discussion

I don't believe Bush ever sent Christian missionaries to Iraq.

That said, I agree that the US' spread of 'Democracy' is getting out of hand. Forcing democracy upon a country can never be true democracy anyway.

This might be true if you were to ignore Japan and Germany.

We really need a kind of proportional representation whereupon everyone's opinions are taken into account.

This exists in America, and other democracies. We have different branches, and the power there is usually split between liberals and conservatives. The Republicans can not do what they want even with the majority everywhere.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Yes, it's definitely out of hand.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chris McGee
10, 20 or even 100 years down the line the country will have a tradition of democratic rule which will make it that much harder for a totalitarian regime to take over.

But that is exactly what the Bush Adminstration are creating - a totalitarian regime - After over two hundred years of American democracy, Bush can just walk in and take away the lot.

Someone else did a similar thing in Germany, but I won't mention his name in case I am responsible for proving Godwin's Law

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ravenna
51% of the people get what they voted for and the other 49% are ignored,

Hmmm...

Isn't this an example of a Democracy, where the majority rules ?

I mean the last time I checked, 51 % was more than 49 %, so the majority ruled...

And as far as Democracy getting out of hand...

Originally posted by MKugs
Though I think democracy is the only way to run a country, I think the Bush Administration has used the Spread of Democracy to also spread their Christian views on marriage, abortion rights, and other issues of discussion. In other words has the U.S used democracy to create a whole world of Christian and Hitler-esque views. Has the U.S in Iraq, and are lack of relations in the U.N. only taken us further away from what our country was "said to do."

Not sure I understand what you mean...are you saying that this is a war on religion ?

If so...I think you are wrong...

Because there are many different religions in the USA, that co-exist without (so far ) too many conflicts ( and those conflicts are done by extreamists, just like the terrorists ), if it is a war on religion, then it will start on the home front ( expelling all muslims ) then expand out on other countries, JMO...

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MKugs
Has the United States, in its efforts to unite the world by spreading democracy, become out of hand and almost Nazi-esque by making democracy "mandatory."

Democracy is not mandatory, pro-US governments are.

If a country is viewed as anti-US, it won't matter what form of government it is, the US government will attempt to remove it. Just look at Venezuela, which is a democracy, they tried on more than one occasion to remove Chavez from power and that is not the only democracy that was interfered with.

If a government is pro-US, it doesn't matter if they are a Democracy, Monarchy or even a dictatorship. It'll be OK with the US. Just look at Pakistan, Musharraf was not elected, he took power in a COUP but no one's trying to get rid of him.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Godwin's Law has already been invoked in the opening paragraph.:shk:

MKugs, where do you come up with this drivel:

Though I think democracy is the only way to run a country, I think the Bush Administration has used the Spread of Democracy to also spread their Christian views on marriage, abortion rights, and other issues of discussion. In other words has the U.S used democracy to create a whole world of Christian and Hitler-esque views.

Don't you know you've already lost?

:shk:

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I think the membes of the Project for a New American Century should be sent to solitary confinement until they are 80 for focking around with the foreign policy of the United States for far too long already.

[edit on 13-12-2004 by LazerLordz]

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Actually, I was always a fan of communism. At least parts of it. I think a democratic-communistic society would be best. Take care of all the people, all the time but don't take away all their freedoms.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
If so, welcome to Singapore.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Oh boy,

So many replies and not a single mention with all the proof that lays before our own eyes, and i'll tell ya, democracy is a failed expirement even 15 years after walls crumble!

Just ask all those thousands of people who enjoy city camping in the Ukraine with below zero degree weather.

roasted cashews anyone?

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Yes it's getting out of hand.
Look at the dozens of countries the Bush administration has attacked in order to spread democracy!
Afghanistan, Iraq, umm......Iraq,..........Afghanistan (did I say that already?).....and........well you get the picture! Too many countries! Billions of lives lost! Way out of hand.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird
Yes it's getting out of hand.
Look at the dozens of countries the Bush administration has attacked in order to spread democracy!
Afghanistan, Iraq, umm......Iraq,..........Afghanistan (did I say that already?).....and........well you get the picture! Too many countries!

You're missing the countries that are on his list to be invaded or covertly aided to change the governments.

house.gov
On the short list of countries to be attacked are North Korea, Libya, Syria, Iran, and the Sudan, just for starters. But this jingoistic talk is foolhardy and dangerous. The war against terrorism cannot be won in this manner.

The drumbeat for attacking Baghdad grows louder every day, with Paul Wolfowitz, Bill Kristol, Richard Perle, and Bill Bennett leading the charge. In a recent interview, U.S. Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, made it clear: "We are going to continue pursuing the entire al Qaeda network which is in 60 countries, not just Afghanistan." Fortunately, President Bush and Colin Powell so far have resisted the pressure to expand the war into other countries. Let us hope and pray that they do not yield to the clamor of the special interests that want us to take on Iraq.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
So let's say they have a democratic election in Iraq in January.

Are the people of Iraq free to elect a strict Islamist government that wins based on its' anti-American stance?

Then it's not "freedom" and it's not "democracy".

Wake up and smell the rotting corpses.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Godwin's Law has already been invoked in the opening paragraph.:shk:

MKugs, where do you come up with this drivel:

Though I think democracy is the only way to run a country, I think the Bush Administration has used the Spread of Democracy to also spread their Christian views on marriage, abortion rights, and other issues of discussion. In other words has the U.S used democracy to create a whole world of Christian and Hitler-esque views.

Don't you know you've already lost?

:shk:

Lost what? In simple terms, what I'm saying is Bush has used Democracy forcefully on countries by creating wars, and in doing so, also adds his own "christian" views as if they were part of democracy.
For gosh sakes, what does Bush say after every speech, "God Bless America." You know his ass would be grass if he said, "Allah bless America."

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
There may yet be some kind of real [federated?] democracy in Iraq.

Im worried that while getting rid of Saddam's phony democracy we now have our own phony democracy here in the US.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 01:34 AM
link   
It is rather unlikely that Bush would ever say "Allah Bless America," but he could since Jehovah and Allah are the same God. "God Bless America" in case you're too young to remember reverberates with America, because in saner times America pulled together to defeat its enemies and "God Bless America," sung by Kate Smith, became an anthem for solidarity during WWII.

This thread is predicated on the grossest ignorance of history and even our current circumstances. It's an insult to the Administration and the ideals of the nation.

The originator of this thread should apologize for his lack of perspective and humbly request that this thread be closed and trashed. Who would dare to limit the spread of human liberty?

[edit on 04/12/14 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   
It is pride that god hates. There is nothing more prideful than a flag waving idiot who believes that it is a mandate from God that his country would be the one to shine the light on another.

You are better at propping up dictatorship and taking them down when it suits your needs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join