It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swedish police raid the Piratebay, site offline

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Theres a great movie about the three or four pirate bay guys who are in jail or running from the police or whatever they are doing. Its called The Pirate Bay: Away From Keyboard or something close to that. Im sure you can torrent it somewhere....

I have to agree though I use torrentz all the time. And its not that I want free movies or anything. I watch the movie and see if I like it or not before I buy it. Most of the time you cant get all the special features and stuff a blu-ray can offer. But who wants to buy a crappy movie? And yes i torrent the hell out of programs. lol. I'm not going to pay five hundred bucks for a program I can get for a 20 minute download. screw that!

Hell I've got letters from my ISP in the past saying that I downloaded such and such and if i didnt quit then they would suspend my account and blah blah blah. The company rhymed with Mine Corner Table. Nothing ever happened. I used to go over my 150gb of data every damn month and still nothing happened (yes believe it or not there is a limit). So yeah the ISP's will be the ones that have to crack down on the pirating. Oh, and that server building in the mountain??? according to that movie (which they show the servers in there), its just a ghost site. So they must have found the actual piratebay servers.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

i have heard of people getting letters and i never received one.
ive downloaded hundreds of gigs of stuff and never a letter.

i dont use any sort of crazy protection either.
secure router but thats it.
sometimes i use tor but not too often

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

My friend actually has a self-destruct mechanism for his hard drive - when he presses a certain keystroke combination, a bit of thermite drops through it. I guess he did, or does, a lot of pirating and other questionable stuff on his P.C.

LOL some people will belive anything.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

when i hit a certain key stroke combination a small piece of a moon rock falls onto a marble and starts a domino effect that ends with a tiny explosion of PETN followed by C-4
im paranoid

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
Good riddance, I say. Pirating may have been acceptable back when getting content online was next to impossible. Now, with the advent of cheap, easily accessible content distributors like Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, etc, I don't see a need to torrent shows that I've missed because I can just go watch them on Netflix, on the the content producer's website itself like AMC.

As far as software piracy, I think the prices of some pieces of software (like photoshop, etc) are restrictively high, and should be lowered, but people shouldn't have to resort to piracy. There's a ton of freeware programs out there that perform just as well.

Music pirating should be a thing of the past as well. When you can buy a song for a dollar, there's no reason to pirate it unless you're just a cheapskate.

99.9% of pirates aren't downloading these things to resell for value. They pirate them because they live so close to poverty they can't afford to go to a movie theater to watch a new movie, or pay a dollar a song to listen to the same 100 songs over and over and over (that's 100 dollars chief).

It isn't because they're trying to protect intellectual property, it isn't like someone is stealing their ideas to use for their own monetary gain.

They go after pirates because they don't want people to be inclined on sharing uncensored information over untraceable networks. Since torrents work this way they attack the places that hold the most torrents.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

My friend actually has a self-destruct mechanism for his hard drive - when he presses a certain keystroke combination, a bit of thermite drops through it. I guess he did, or does, a lot of pirating and other questionable stuff on his P.C.

You do know that thermite isn't a liquid right? and that it involves an ignition agent? It doesn't just eat through stuff like an acid, it burns. It wouldn't just stop at his hdd either, it would eat through the housing of the drive, the bracket or bay holding the drive in place, and wires it came into contact with until it hit the bottom of the case wherein it would eat through that too, until it burned out.

A more reasonable method would be to keep your hdd's in hotswap bays and merely pull them and microwave them in a hurry if you must. Then again, they aren't after what files you have obtained, they're after shutting down the method in which you obtained them.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
evil still fails.
Isohunt are hosting a copy of their site.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Vortiki

which is why you use a sliver of moon rock, a marble, PETN, and C-4
putting metal i a microwave is too dangerous

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Use caustic soda.
it dissolves aluminum.
and a hard drive and the disk is aluminum.
um ok some disks are some kind of glass!

originally posted by: Vortiki

You do know that thermite isn't a liquid right? and that it involves an ignition agent? It doesn't just eat through stuff like an acid, it burns. It wouldn't just stop at his hdd either, it would eat through the housing of the drive, the bracket or bay holding the drive in place, and wires it came into contact with until it hit the bottom of the case wherein it would eat through that too, until it burned out.

A more reasonable method would be to keep your hdd's in hotswap bays and merely pull them and microwave them in a hurry if you must. Then again, they aren't after what files you have obtained, they're after shutting down the method in which you obtained them.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Vortiki

It would also more than likely burn the house down lol

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

A more reasonable method would be to keep your hdd's in hotswap bays and merely pull them and microwave them in a hurry if you must.
That's not good advice. For one thing microwaving in a hurry is not going to do the job. You'd have to microwave it for a long time, possibly until the microwave is destroyed in the process. Here is better advice for destroying hard drive data:

The right way to destroy an old hard drive

Don't put it in the microwave, don't roast it on a spit, don't soak it in acid, and don't put it next to an industrial-strength magnet; the key is to make the drive's platters unspinnable.....

Microwaves are handy for destroying CDs and DVDs, but you'd have to cook a hard drive for a long, long time to blister the drive's platters.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Even if you destroy a hard drive like you had suggested (rendering the platters unspinnable), a person so inclined and with the right equipment can remove the individual platters and read them, rendering your attempt at destruction ineffective.

EDIT: Reading your link I see they suggest removing the platters and sanding them. That would certainly work.
edit on 16-12-2014 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I do know about therrmite, we had him take the device out of his computer when he rented a space in the house I was staying at. It would eat through the floor, too, like you were describing. Thanks for the interesting discussion about how to destroy hard drives.

My friend probably had other things on his hard drives besides file-sharing documents. He was a hacker. I don't know all that he was involved in.

I have a question, if anyone reads this - would an E.M.P. take out hard drive data, like is it magnetized storage? I know that an E.M.P. would not take out the data on a DVD or CD.
edit on 04pmSun, 04 Jan 2015 22:31:04 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join