It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College prof makes students recite anti-American 'pledge of allegiance'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

If you sign up for Denver college professor Charles Angeletti's American Civilization class, be forewarned that you're going to have to recite his invective-filled 'New Pledge' -- and according to some of his students, also be ready to swallow a big helping of his politics.

Angeletti, who teaches at Metropolitan State University of Denver, has students learn an anti-American spoof of the Pledge of Allegiance that denounces the U.S. as a Republican-controlled bastion of injustice, all while spewing his own far-left brand of politics, according to current and former students.

“I pledge allegiance to and wrap myself in the flag of the United States Against Anything Un-American,” reads Angeletti's version. “And to the Republicans for which it stands, two nations, under Jesus, rich against poor, with curtailed liberty and justice for all except blacks, homosexuals, women who want abortions, Communists, welfare queens, treehuggers, feminazis, illegal immigrants, children of illegal immigrants, and you, if you don't watch your step.”

Obviously, this is going to upset a lot of people. Maybe because it's a little closer to the truth than they want to admit. We know that the "rich against poor" part is too close to home. The haves and have nots couldn't be farther apart and it's getting worse all the time. Liberty for all? Mmmm, no. Well, unless your bank account says you can afford it. 2 Nations? The political divide in this country is amazing. One side hates the other and thinks it's the end of the world if their side is not in control. Do we even have to discuss the fact that racism is rampant in this country? We've all seen and heard enough of it lately.

Now, I have a huge problem with teachers spouting their political views in the classroom, much less forcing students to recite crap like this. It's not the place for it and students may feel if they don't agree, they'll fail the class. From what I've seen, I can honestly say, I don't want my kids to go to many of the colleges. Too much political preaching and not enough genuine education. This guy can shout from the rooftops for all I care. Just not in the classroom.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I'm just glad that I am not an angry, bitter, used up old college professor.

Can you imagine going through your life like that? No thanks.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Few days ago...there was a thread that defends the US rejected anti-nazi resolution. It was explained that it goes against the American democratic nature of free speech. By that logic...this man is exercising his right to free speech. If Neo Nazi views are guaranteed their voice through freedom of speech, than why not a college professor ?

Every nutcase in America is guaranteed free speech...suck it up for the greater good of Democracy

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

If he's out on the street, I don't care if he climbs a tree and uses a bullhorn, but this is not "teaching" it's just a very obvious attempt to influence his students and sway them to his side.

But another student said your opinion can cost you if it doesn't jibe with Angeletti's.

"If you are a liberal, you will like him," a student wrote. "He encourages you to speak out and voice your opinion... Unless of course, you are a Republican."

Another student said class was unfocused.

"All this teacher does is ask what is on your mind at the start of every class and that is how class is run everyday based on what students say," the student wrote. "The only reason I got a B is because I hardly showed up to that class because it was so pointless. All he does is argue with everything you say and you are always wrong. Didn't learn anything.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

“I pledge allegiance to and wrap myself in the flag of the United States Against Anything Un-American,” reads Angeletti's version. “And to the Republicans for which it stands, two nations, under Jesus, rich against poor, with curtailed liberty and justice for all except blacks, homosexuals, women who want abortions, Communists, welfare queens, treehuggers, feminazis, illegal immigrants, children of illegal immigrants, and you, if you don't watch your step.”

It seems about right to me but then I'm looking at the states from afar.

a satirical pledge aimed at getting students to question their nation's leadership

I'm all for questioning one's nation's leadership , I do it with mine daily.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
This is for all the people who are going to get in an outrage.

Please explain how this is more or less innapropriate than the daily indoctrination of american children, who are made to "pledge allegiance" to the concept of a nation which they are -by and large- far too young to comprehend ?
edit on 9-12-2014 by Ismail because: he can't spell

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a little backstory (no, not about my username!) i was born in brooklyn, went to school there, and i stil lremember how every morning in class we had to stand up, put our hand over our heart and recite the pledge alleigence and sing the national anthem.
every. Freakin. Day.
this was in the late 80's/ early 90's we left america in 1994, not sure it is stil lbeing done.
But wasn't that a form of brain washing? get them when they are young? isn't that systematic repeating of that nonsense the reason why people, beyond reason yell "get out of MY (lol) country you dirty (insert group/race here)" isn't that the reason americans just follow instructions like good little dogs?
I don't see what the professor did as manipulation, it's a wake up call. a way of showing kids, that are too young to know, that there is another side, a troubling and darker one.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Pledge of allegiance who NAZI esq and totalitarian is that.

I always laugh when you Americans talk about living in "the land of the free" and then go and have things like that.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: DAVID64
Obviously, this is going to upset a lot of people. Maybe because it's a little closer to the truth than they want to admit.

No. Its' upsetting because a person in a position of power and authority is abusing that position by forcing people to take his silly pledge in order to pass the class. (that's what is being reported on the TV ... it's forced in order to pass). No one should be forced to take a pledge, and no parent should be spending tens of thousands, (and in many cases hundreds of thousands) of dollars to send their kids to a place of higher education just to have this nonsense forced upon them.

Certain classes must be taken in order to graduate and get a degree. If his class is one of the required classes, then this is doubly wrong.

And to those who bring out the Pledge of Allegiance and say 'what about that'?? Separate issue. If you don't like students supposedly being 'indoctrinated' by having to say the Pledge of Allegiance in school, then why are you gleeful when they are forced to say THIS agenda filled pledge in college? You should be just as horrified.

If there was no forcing of the pledge, and there was an equally acid pledge that is anti-liberal, then we'd be having a different conversation on this.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
He has been doing this for twenty years why is it a problem now? Is it because it really reflects how America is being run now?

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

As a college student, you choose the classes and you get to choose the person that teaches that class. Sometimes, if the class you want is full and you can't talk the desired professor into allowing you into their over filled class, and you don't want to wait and take your chances the next semester, you sign up for a class with a professor you aren't crazy about, just to be done with it and move yourself closer to graduation.

I had a few instructors along the way that I considered a little out there, and I often disagreed with my professors. I also had my "stand your ground moments", more than once. As a college student, no one can "make" you say or do something you don't wish to do.

I will admit that some students are easily swayed and indoctrinated, but this will happen on the playground, on a job or in your living room. We each have to choose what we believe and what we are willing to stand up for, or for what we are willing to be knocked down and knocked out. Since college is supposed to be a place for learning, it is a good place to start.

IMHO

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
Few days ago...there was a thread that defends the US rejected anti-nazi resolution. It was explained that it goes against the American democratic nature of free speech. By that logic...this man is exercising his right to free speech. If Neo Nazi views are guaranteed their voice through freedom of speech, than why not a college professor ?

Every nutcase in America is guaranteed free speech...suck it up for the greater good of Democracy

The neoNazi's aren't in a classroom spewing their crap under sanction of the College and labeled as "education".

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
How is spewing hate speech at a university legal?

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Because "hate speech" is only defined speech the left does not like. The professor may think he is being edgy and cool but he's really being very trite as radical leftist professors go. Bill Ayers called and wants his schtick back.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
So long as students aren't "forced" to say this stupid pledge, and it's not a condition of passing in his classroom, there's not really a problem. College Professors have been pushing their own agendas for as long as higher education has existed, so it's not like this is anything new. American Civilization is an elective course anyway, and not by any means compulsory.

He's a loud-mouthed, crass, obviously far-left wingnut who probably SHOULDN'T be doing stupid crap like this, but he's not breaking any laws.

It sucks some students will be taken in by his radical musings and become just another another cog in the left/right hate machine, but he's in his right to do so.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

What about free speech zones? I've always been confused about that one.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

What law was made? If a school fires a teacher for saying something they don't like, it's not covered under the first amendment.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

What law was made? If a school fires a teacher for saying something they don't like, it's not covered under the first amendment.

No but that would be school policy it would not be illegal like the above mentioned.

As far us I understand private institutes and company's can curtail freedom of speech on there land but as I said that is school or company policy not law.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

No but that would be school policy it would not be illegal like the above mentioned.

As far us I understand private institutes and company's can curtail freedom of speech on there land but as I said that is school or company policy not law.

Right. Policies like that aren't covered under the first. An employee of a school or business, for example, could be fired for teaching or saying that "Negroes are inferior," and he would have no legal leg to stand on in a wrongful termination suit.

According to the 1st, I could fire an employee for burning an American flag but the state cannot make a law forbidding the burning of an American flag.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join