It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Democrat Wants to Lower Voting Age to 16

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
A wild idea has been proposed by a Missouri State politician.

Lower the voting age to 16.

I wonder what the reason is?

Hmmm.

Missouri Democrat Wants to Lower Voting Age to 16

A Missouri lawmaker is trying to lower the state voting age to 16.

Democratic Rep. Karla May of St. Louis this week filed a joint resolution to amend the state constitution to reduce the legal age to vote from 18 years old.

If passed by both the state House and Senate, the measure would go to a public vote.

Missouri is one of only a few states that have attempted to lower the voting age to 16.

Similar measures failed in Hawaii and Arizona.

Lower Voting Age to 16

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
hmmm Of course they'll vote Democrat, but...Why aren't the Republicans going after more younger voters though?

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
hmmm Of course they'll vote Democrat, but...Why aren't the Republicans going after more younger voters though?

Good question.

I don't know why.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Good question.

I don't know why.

This is undoubtably going to be an unpopular opinion, but, I was young, and I speak from experience, young people are largely idiots.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Good question.

I don't know why.

Don't you think that's a big problem? I know we have different political opinions on most stuff, but on this we can agree. Young people watch John Stewart not Sean Hannity. That's an over simplification but I think it highlights the problem for Republicans.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Good question.

I don't know why.

Don't you think that's a big problem? I know we have different political opinions on most stuff, but on this we can agree. Young people watch John Stewart not Sean Hannity. That's an over simplification but I think it highlights the problem for Republicans.

Well from that view, then Republicans should want to raise the voting age.

But first let's confirm the voting ages with the parties.

I don't know what it is.

edit on Dec-08-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

When I was 16 I wasn't stupid,but I didn't know heads from tails on the issues.And the people I went to school with? Forget it,half wouldn't have known their way out of a voting booth. I live in Missouri and this is a really stupid idea.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Perhaps this could be the first steps.... When my generation received the vote at 18, to be tried as an adult was 21... 18 has always been a draft age! Now that 18 have been a voting age for a few generations the trial as an adult has hit 17 for some crimes. I saw a tread here about a 17 year old now facing 35 years for credit card scamming.... if my memory serves me. TPTB need more soldiers.... Consider after awhile that the voting age become 16 it won't belong till 16 years will be considered an adult even though they are teenagers... but they have a vote I can here the law makers claim....

Let draft em... So those are my two thoughts....

BTW I still do not believe that there is a two party system in USA or the UK..... I am 61 now and it does not matter what skin the master have up the puppets arse that looks like its talking..... i.e. When Maggie was tossed to the side look at Rat Eaten Cheeze Tony step in and become a war munger... When Bushman left and NObama took his place, Mr Nobel prize winner, "We will get out of two wars and close Gitmo"! hmmmmm boys are still coming home in body bags..... so wave your jackass or elephant I don't believe a diff when a POTUS is in the illusion of power....

You may now toss your bricks at me LOL....

SnF and ducking Quack.....

edit on 12/8/2014 by IceHappy because: Added BTW - cause I am just so tired of hearing our country being split when the people need to unit.....

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
But we keep voting for the same old democrats and republicans as adults. That's the true definition of stupidity. It really couldn't hurt. Look who we vote for? Not for president, but for congress...almost all of them in the pocket of corporations....could it really hurt to have them vote. Just food for thought.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Well just to play advocate there are countries where the legal voting age is 16 and I don't think it would sway many elections anyway because younger people generally have poor voter turnout as it is.

If mental stability is an issue how does everyone feel about those afflicted with dementia or alzheimer's being able to vote. It is legal for them you certainly can't say they will make good informed decisions.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
First the Dem's get the voting age lowered to 16, second they mandate a strictly left wing political science class for freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors in every high school in America. Free copies of Call of Duty for every kid who votes Dem.

Agenda met.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

I would say lacking of life experience but I guess idiot works..

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

a reply to: Grimpachi

If mental stability is an issue how does everyone feel about those afflicted with dementia or alzheimer's being able to vote. It is legal for them you certainly can't say they will make good informed decisions.

The better part would be to screen the candidates for mental stability.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I have a feeling we'd get very few candidates. A lot of new ones! That would be very, very good.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I have been calling for that for years. While they are at it they should test their IQs as well.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
and while they're at it screen the voters too lol but that would be too close to a literacy test probably. It's the problem of voters believing rhetoric without questioning it. Both sides are guilty of this. Considering most people choose a side based on parents, on their age (young=democrat old=republican), on religion/race--etc. But that's the beauty of our country--that freedom to do whatever we want even if it is dumb. However, the voting age shouldn't be 16 because children are not adults and do not understand what they're voting for. They would vote the same as their friends and teachers would be able to take advantage of their age and would press politics even more into the classroom. 18 is a fine age. Don't fix what isn't broken just to get votes. It lacks integrity and is bad form.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

They would vote the same as their friends and teachers would be able to take advantage of their age and would press politics even more into the classroom.

And how is that different from college?

Remember I am only being devils advocate here.

Oh but to add to the screening of candidates they should also pass a drug test. People need them to run machinery or just about any job yet we let them run our country without drug testing them first. That is just insane IMO.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I disagree with this. Given what we know of mental development these days and the fact that voting at 18 is only legal because that's when a person becomes an adult I favor the opposite approach and raising the age. No voting until you're 26 (same with being considered an adult legally).

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
So you can handle the responsibility to researching candidates/issues and casting your vote, which will be valued at 16 but you can't legally go buy a beer until five years later?

That makes a whole lot of sense.....

This country is full of idiocy behind every corner.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The Reason is: They are a captive audience in high school.

A vast majority of teachers and administrators are liberal.

Hell, wouldn't put it past them to try and have school busing to the polls on election day after a few weeks of "conditioning" assignments in school to make sure they vote the way their school administration wants them to vote. (Which in most cases won't be Republican) LOL

top topics

<<   2 >>

join