It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rescue Attempt of Hostage Fails. Obama Defends Decision to Attempt Rescue

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

SANAA, Yemen (AP) — An American photojournalist and a South African teacher held by al-Qaida militants in Yemen were killed Saturday during a failed U.S.-led rescue attempt, a raid President Barack Obama said he ordered over an "imminent danger" to the reporter.

www.breitbart.com...

In an early morning statement on Saturday, President Obama acknowledged a failed attempt by U.S. forces to rescue Luke Somers, an American in Al Qaeda custody.
Obama defended his decision to authorize the attack, pointing out that Somers’ life was in danger after a Al Qaeda video was released announcing he'd be killed within 72 hours.
“Based on this assessment, and as soon as there was reliable intelligence and an operational plan, I authorized a rescue attempt yesterday,” Obama said.

I'm on the record with my feelings about Barack Obama, but in this instance, I find that there's no legitimate reason for him to have to defend a decision to rescue an American who was being held hostage.

As much as I can't stand the man, at least it appears that he was attempting to do what a President should do when a citizen of the United States is being held hostage, rather than trying to understand, and sympathize with extremists.

Could he be giving lip service in his remarks about how Al Qaida is 'evil'? Sure, but at least he took what I would consider to be appropriate action in this situation. The rescue failed, but the attempt was made, and I give Obama credit for ordering it.
edit on 12/7/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: Edit Title

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

I agree! Obama gets a thumbs up on this decision from me.

They were going to kill the man regardless, so why not try a rescue if at all possible.

If it hadn't been for a dog barking upon their approach of the compound, it might have been successful!

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Sometimes rescue attempts fail.

We have this notion in our heads that as long as you send in the SEALs everything will work out.

Sometimes missions fail, people die, and there's nothing you, the president, the SEALs, or anyone can do about it.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
even a failed rescue attempt has it`s benefits, keep the terrorist a bit paranoid and looking over their shoulders,never knowing if there is a commando group lurking in the shadows about to blast the heck out of them.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Was the seals the right unit to send in? was there better equipped or prepped units available from other countries as when you have a 72 hour count down theres not much time to start really doing much planning especially if they have to spend hours on a plane to get near the place

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The kill ratio between the US and Yemen is at about 500:1

Stop bombing these people and they wil stop killing the odd one of us that they can catch.

These drones the US are testing in places like Yemen are owned and operated by the CIA and it won't be that many years before they are seen in the skys above US citys and will be pointing their guns at you.

Who's wrting about these 15 dead weding guest ?

Don't hate or like Obama for anything he does because he, like all the rest are nothing but puppets for zionist bankers and corporations and will one day be replaced with a hologram to speak for the state.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I agree any rescue attempt is justified.

But there are some conspiracy theories making their way around.

Some people think Obama somehow arranged for a botched mission.

I don't particularly want to believe any of that, but Obama does have a history of negativity with the military.

Hmmm.

In an Obama world, "failure" has advantages.

Wonder what the motive was, if any.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Usually I have no problem taking issue with any decision Obama makes, but on this one, I have to support it, because it was the right one. It's not like he sent a team of IRS agents in to do it. No unit would have been completely perfect for this mission, given the time constraints.
edit on 12/7/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
Was the seals the right unit to send in? was there better equipped or prepped units available from other countries as when you have a 72 hour count down theres not much time to start really doing much planning especially if they have to spend hours on a plane to get near the place

72 hours is plenty of time for small kinetic missions like this.

That said, sometimes you can't account for all the variables.

As I said above, it really doesn't matter who you send in. It could be D Force, US Army SF, Navy SEALs, Marine FR, or freakin' Blackwater. Sometimes missions fail. Rescue missions are dicey as hell. There is always the risk that the kidnappers will kill the hostage at the very first sign that something is amiss.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I agree...Kudos for attempting the rescue. I wish it had succeeded.
Unfortunately for all involved, it was an Obama administration-organized attempt. The imbecile doesn't respect the military and has no understanding regarding the use and projection of effective military power.

Remember Benghazi!
Remember Jimmy Carter's hostage rescue attempt?

...and before someone mentions the attack on Bin Laden...also remember that that plan originated with Obama's predecessor.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Wow. I totally expected to see you rake Obama over the coals for this, so I'm surprised at your take on it, but I agree with you. Unfortunately these things sometimes fail, but Obama did the right thing in trying to get them out of there.

My thoughts go out to the families...

originally posted by: IAMTAT
...and before someone mentions the attack on Bin Laden...also remember that that plan originated with Obama's predecessor.

So, Bush gets credit for killing Bin Laden now? LOL!

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Wow. I totally expected to see you rake Obama over the coals for this, so I'm surprised at your take on it, but I agree with you. Unfortunately these things sometimes fail, but Obama did the right thing in trying to get them out of there.

My thoughts go out to the families...

originally posted by: IAMTAT

So, Bush gets credit for killing Bin Laden now? LOL!

Ha! I guess I'm not quite as one-dimensional as you may have assumed. Anyway, I'm happy to have surprised you. We may not see eye to eye on a lot of issues, but at least this may help to indicate that it's just honest disagreement, rather than ideological denial.
edit on 12/7/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: Stupid quotes....

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=18743003]ProfessorChaos

As much as I can't stand the man, at least it appears that he was attempting to do what a President should do when a citizen of the United States is being held hostage, rather than trying to understand, and sympathize with extremists.

More to the point. These missions are hugely risky politically. Everyone still remembers Jimmy Carter's failed attempt at rescuing the Iran Hostages ..Operation Eagle Claw...and Carter's opposition hung that military failure around his neck and successfully humiliated him for it.

The truth is that these are insanely complex and precise military operations. Eagle Claw under Carter failed because the Helicopters deployed were not mechanically prepared for the dessert. One failed due to hydraulic failure, another had a cracked rotor blade, then they ran into sand-storms etc. The operational and environmental mechanical properties and tolerances of military aircraft in dessert environments is not something we can reasonable expect a sitting president to be well educated about.

Point being...the safe choice for a "politician" is to not make the attempt. It should also be kept in mind that the President can and should only be responsible for the choice...aka "the go"...our military and spec ops own the planning, execution and success or failure of such missions. That is the massive bulk of responsibility or credit. The President owns the political risk and perhaps personal guilt of giving the nod, nothing more...either fault or credit.

In this scenario, I agree with you. He was willing to disregard the political risk of failure to try and save an American...and has done so many times since taking office.

sampling of DEVGRU/Seal team 6 ops during Obama Administration.

Maersk Alabama hijacking and rescue, 12 April 2009, The Cargo Ship..the movie Captain Phillips (Success)
Linda Norgrove rescue, 8 October 2010 (failed)
Osama bin Laden 2 May 2011 (success)
Rescue of Jessica Buchanan and Poul Hagen Thisted 24 January 2012 (success)
Rescue of British-Afghan Aid Workers, 28 May 2012 Helen Johnston and three colleagues (success)
Rescue of Dr. Dilip Joseph, 8 December 2012 (success)
Hostage Rescue operation, Hajr al-Sayar district - Yemen, 26 November 2014 ...(8 Hostages rescued, but Americans had been moved before raid)

It should also be noted that the "go" order in almost all these cases involved intelligence of immanent death of one or more hostages. It's only when the hostage is suffering a life threatening health condition or looks be executed in the very near term that Seal Team 6 is given the go.
edit on 7-12-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

I'm not so sure Obama is too worried about the 'politically safe' choices these days. He's been re-elected, no one is going to impeach him, and even if they try to, it will fail.

My statement in your quote was more in regard to his apparent (in my mind) agreement with, and/or appreciation of, these extremist groups, and their goals, in general.

Whether or not his heart was in it, I give him credit for giving the go ahead on the rescue attempt. Exactly why he went ahead with it, is obviously subject to speculation.
edit on 12/7/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: edit to clarify

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Credit for killing bin Laden goes to the men and women who worked tirelessly for over a decade to kill that bastard where he slept.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos

I'm not so sure Obama is too worried about the 'politically safe' choices these days. He's been re-elected, no one is going to impeach him, and even if they try to, it will fail.

If you examine his use of Seal Team Six...He near immediately started employing them in rescue operations after taking office. It is a well-known reality amongst military observers that Pres. Obama has demonstrated a confidence in Spec Ops like no other president and has employed them more often than previous presidents. He used them near immediately and often during his first term. That is a reality apart from ideological debate.

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos
My statement in your quote was more in regard to his apparent (in my mind) agreement with, and/or appreciation of, these extremist groups, and their goals, in general.

I have seen no evidence what-so-ever to support that view. It carries as much credence as the birther claim in my opinion. There is a world of issues and positions where criticism of Pres. Obama is valid, that does appear to have any evidence, just extremist ideological propaganda IMO. No offense.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Should've asked the SAS.
OUR command is incompetant.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Credit for killing bin Laden goes to the men and women who worked tirelessly for over a decade to kill that bastard where he slept.

"for over a decade"...and, yes, I couldn't agree with those sentiments more.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Agreed. But the facts as they stand speak to a President who after taking office, took what remained of the hunt-team (just a few analysts) and told them it was a priority and directed his Intelligence Director and Chief of Spec Ops to give them whatever resources they needed to get it done. The hunt team grew and took off under this mandate. That said...they deserve the credit for getting Bin Laden, Pres. Obama deserves the credit for making sure they had what they needed to make it happen.

again...this is well documented by virtually every source of consequence, you can hate Obama for many credible reasons, but that criticism must be done within the realm of reality and facts.

On June 2, 2009, just over four months into his presidency, Obama had signed a memo to CIA Director Leon Panetta stating “in order to ensure that we have expanded every effort, I direct you to provide me within 30 days a detailed operation plan for locating and bringing to justice” bin Laden.

www.politico.com...

On May 26, 2009, Obama had concluded a routine national-security briefing in the Situation Room by pointing to Donilon, Leon Panetta, his newly appointed C.I.A. director, Mike Leiter, director of the National Counterterrorism Center, and Rahm Emanuel, his chief of staff.

“You, you, you, and you,” he said. “Come upstairs.”

The four followed Obama through the warren of narrow West Wing hallways to the Oval Office. They didn’t sit down.

Obama said, “Here’s the deal. I want this hunt for Osama bin Laden and [Ayman] al-Zawahiri to come to the front of the line. I worry that the trail has gone cold. This has to be our top priority and it needs leadership in the tops of your organizations.” He added, “I want regular reports on this to me, and I want them starting in 30 days.”

www.vanityfair.com...
edit on 7-12-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

No offense taken, it's my view of the man, and you're welcome to yours.

As much as I dislike him, if he does something I happen to agree with (and that is an extremely rare occurrence), I give him credit for it, otherwise, he gets what criticism I feel he deserves (from me).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join