It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds: Navy engineer tried to steal schematics for new carrier class

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I can't believe we're hiring some of these people. I'd cannot figure out how and why this man was hired in the sensitive position he was. At least someone got a clue and this guy was caught. How many aren't? It would seem hiring practices need to be changed.

I'm going to copy paste and *snip* and hopefully get a good idea of what's happened without violating T&C of too much of the article.

A Navy engineer was arrested and charged Friday with attempting to steal plans for the Navy's most advanced aircraft carrier, now under construction at Newport News Shipbuilding. *snip* Mostafa Ahmed Awwad, 35, a York County, Va., resident who worked at Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Virginia, was indicted on two counts of attempted exportation of defense articles and technical data. Awwad intended to send the schematics to Egypt, authorities said.
*snip*
The Ford is the first of a new class of aircraft carrier that packs almost a dozen major new technologies onboard and represents a taxpayer investment of at least $13 billion. *snip* Among the new technologies are dual band radar, new systems for launching and recovering aircraft, and a nuclear propulsion system that produces a nearly three-fold increase in power generation compared to the current Nimitz-class carriers.
*snip*
Court documents say Awwad was born in Saudi Arabia and married his current spouse in May 2007 in Cairo, where he began the U.S. immigration process to become a citizen. It was not immediately clear when he came to the U.S. But early this year, the affidavit states, he was offered a job as a civilian general engineer in the Nuclear Engineering and Planning Department at Norfolk Naval Shipyard. It was not immediately clear Friday what work the naval shipyard was performing on the Ford carrier, given that the bulk of construction is being done at Newport News Shipbuilding. In August, Awwad was issued a security clearance that gave him access to classified information, which includes naval nuclear propulsion information.

The nuclear power systems onboard aircraft carriers are considered among the most closely guarded sections of the ship. Awwad had access to information concerning the design, development, maintenance and repair of propulsion plants onboard nuclear-powered ships.
www.stripes.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
According to the news report that I heard last night, it was a sting operation.
They heard that 'he was dirty', so they set him up.
I guess he was dirty.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

was indicted on two counts of attempted exportation of defense articles and technical data.

And WHY are they not charging him with flat out espionage?

es·pi·o·nage
ˈespēəˌnäZH
noun
the practice of spying or of using spies, typically by governments to obtain political and military information.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Whether for financial reason's or espionage this man is a traitor who would have put the live's of every man and woman who will server on this new carrier class as well as other personel in severely increased danger.

Not only would these enable a hostile nation to build there own version but also to detect structural soft point's and vulnerability's for sabotage and attack and terrorist plot's.

Judging by his name I suspect he is not a good patriotic american and of course it is about time someone put a sock down the throat of the political correct crowd as this man and his ilk have there allegiance in a place other than america or it's allies.

I agree why would they hire this guy, the problem is the politically correct crowd and there nonsense based misguided interpretation of what should and should not be allowed.

edit on 6-12-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Another foreigner engineer brought into America to take the job of an American because he will do it for less. I cant even begin to tell you how many foreigners I deal with daily who work for giant corporations over here on a 4 year contract to for half the wage of an American.

I willing to bet in 20 years our entire military is going to be outsourced.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
affirmative action,working as intended.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

This guy is just another in a long list of traitors that have sold this country out.
Think of all the corporate secrets corporate elites have sold to China so investors could pocket more profits.

He had no allegiance to this nation and his interests lie elsewhere which exactly what corporate elites have done as well

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Flag #1: He's only come to the US (though they CAN'T say when for some reason) within the last 7 years

Flag #2: From Saudi Arabia, he became a naturalized US citizen within the last 7 years

Flag #3: He began working for the Norfolk shipyard in February 2014, issued Naval security clearance in August 2014 and in Sept 2014, he's making deals to sell out to a supposed Egytpian intelligence officer. It took him a mere 7 months to gain secret security clearance and begin his treacherous escapade.

"During the meeting Awwad claimed it was his intention to utilize his position of trust with the US Navy to obtain military technology for use by the Egyptian government, including but not limited to, the designs of the USS Gerald Ford nuclear aircraft carrier. Awwad agreed to conduct clandestine communications with the undercover FBI agent by email and unattributable telephones and to conduct 'dead drops' in a concealed location in the park."

And yes, why isn't he being charged with treason?

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This is most definitely espionage, and the guy should be tried as a spy. I can completely understand the authorities using profiling when it comes to actual national security issues, considering that you have to ask yourselves who a foreigner is truly loyal to. A foreign-born individual may not feel that loyal to the US, but moreso to their country of birth. That is usually how it is, even with honest people. Profiling is viewed as somehow wrong, but the truth is that it can work if done correctly. If for example 80% of a certain type of crime, say espionage, was perpetrated by foreigners, then obviously it would make sense to profile foreigners. That is just a hypothetical number however, and is not accurate. My point is that in such an instance profiling would be quite logical. If however there is no overwhelming data that gives a reason for profiling, it should not be done.

new topics

top topics

join