It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing story of ME-109s and the Spitfire located in a barn/hanger !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Read the article but watch the movie.. Enjoy

www.aopa.org...

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
While the OP didn't really say much about this at all in their post, I myself will highly recommended any plane inthusist to definitely check out the story and video at the link. It is pretty awesome what this guy really has, not to mention his history that goes with it.

Kind of a shame that it appears a lot of it has sat neglected, but I'm sure any true collector could right what needed to be done. Seems he has the parts needed too.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Read the article but watch the movie.. Enjoy

www.aopa.org...

Read the story and watched the video which was posted on another forum that I frequent. I love those planes man....love 'em. It's good to know that some of them are still around.

Those planes represent the best of flight engineers and aeronautic engineers trying to one-up each other during the maelstrom of death that was the 2nd world war. 109Es, then F's then G's and so on...Hurricanes, Spitfires, Typhoons....Mustangs, Lightnings, Thunderbolts...All of them getting better, or being tuned for specific tasks.

When you think of it, you see how quickly we humans adapt and overcome when war is the main priority and singular purpose. Technology in action 15,000 feet above the front.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Fantastic Post! this should be moved to anywhere but here where it will get noticed.
S&F

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Great video, magnificent photography too.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story

They are not Messerschmitts but Spanish built Buchons which are specifically built for the RR Merlin engine not the inverted Db-601..The Spitfire is a MkIX which came out in 1943 not 1940 when the Battle of Britain campaign happened but is indeed a combat veteran.Warbird enthusiasts have known of his collection for years like the Soplata Collection in the USA but as noted the death of his son has pushed him to get rid of it all.Whole collection except for the P51 has been sold to a company in Switzerland....

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Thanks for that info about the sell. I wonder what the Swiss will do with the collection..?

I actually sat in the Spanish version of the 109 in Houston after it was painted in all it's warbird glory.. Very small airplane when compared to a 51.. The guys I talked to who flew them said they flew great but the aircraft with it's narrow gear was squirrely on a hard surface runway.. Grass strip was better but you still had to be careful in any kind of crosswind...

I knew a German guy who flew BF-109s during the war.... Some of his stories were amazing.... just as his surviving was...

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

To be fair,the article does point that they are Buchons, and they do say the movie "Battle of Britain", not the event. So it's not really a case of not letting the facts get in the way as they are all there. It looks like at least one of the Buchons hadn't been touched since the movie was made as it still looks exactly the same, albeit very dusty and faded.

Nerd point coming up, although Me 109 is in common use, and was even before the war, I think we all know the correct name is Bf109. My nerd point is that the changeover in designation from Bf to Me officially happened when the Bf162 light bomber was followed by the Me163 rocket fighter.

edit on 3-12-2014 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Nice planes to bad this scum bag of a man has control over them. He is a angry,arrogant pathetic old man who does not deserve what he has. He is truly a bad man.

I hope these planes find a loving home with good people. It is sad this man will reap the reward of selling all of these. Hopefully his heirs are better people.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Dunno but Id be a bit that way after losing a child..

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   

The narrow undercarriage of the Me109 was a pilot killer - a lot of trainee pilots died or were injured because of it. It's probably also a good thing that the Germans never finished their one aircraft carrier, the Graz Zeppelin, as that was supposed to have a fighter group flying Me109s off of it. I'm not sure that their undercarriages would have been up to hard carrier landings.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Absolutely incredible. I hope they get restored. The BF-109 is one of the most amazing aircraft in air combat history, with one of the best kill to death ratios for it's time.

Gorgeous plane. I like spitfires too but if I was born back then, I'd rather be behind the stick of a BF-109. Not as good in a turning fight or a furball, but one on one it will kill a british fighter with a good pilot every time until one of them runs out of fuel.

Beast of a machine with high altitude abilities and heavy guns. There is a reason the Luftwaffe almost decimated europe, and the BF-109 is it.

ETA : And before anyone wants to think I'm pro nazi, I play a lot of WWII Flight sims and I find the BF-109 is a death machine.
edit on 4-12-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

The germans were never within carrier reach, and that is not what the 109 was designed for anyways. It's a beautiful plane.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

The germans were never within carrier reach, and that is not what the 109 was designed for anyways. It's a beautiful plane.

Well, the German Kriegsmarine's surface fleet never really stood much of a chance. It was too small, was handicapped by poor strategy and above all else was mothballed by Hitler after the Battle of the Barents Sea in December 1942. An aircraft carrier never made much sense.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

The Bf-109T was developed for the German carrier. Note the hook.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

It's not as simple as you seem to think. The Bf 109 was initially underpowered and under-armed (twin mg's only at first and no cannon until much later) so up to and I cluding the D model was inferior to both the Hurricane and Spitfire, the E was the superior of the Hurricane in all but manoeuvrability (with the Hurricane really out of it from then on) and the Spitfire 1, but then begins a cat and mouse between the two where each new model of the Spitfire and 109 are the superior of their rival when thry come out. The Spitfire IX was never really bettered by a 109 variant (it was actually developed to master the Fw190) and from the Spitfire XIV the 109 wasn't even close.

I find them both fascinating, definitely the most definitive rivals of WW2, but don't put too much faith in flight sims. Remember that ultimately they are games and not truly representative.

One last minor point, if your Spitfire turns over and catches fire, you can slide the canopy back and get out. In a 109 you burn to death.

new topics

top topics

join