It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attaching a PDF document from my computer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   
i went through the process of trying to upload a document from my computer but it would not come up when I went to link to it in the thread I wanted to start on the subject.

This is a PDF document of 10-12 pages made up from photo copied pages that I like to use in my thread. I cant link to the original source because the organisation concerned does not have the article attached to the entry in their historical search facility. All they have very brief description of the subject matter

I am concerned about copyright issues but the document I have is some 20-30 years old. Would that still be an issue in the US today?

any advice and help appreciated

thanks

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
You have to find a site that allows uploads of PDF files, upload it to there and then share the link.

As for copyright issues, I think that 20 to 30 years means that, if there was any copyright, it's still active.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: learnatic

Re: copyright
Columbia.edu's take on book copyright Link

U.S. Copyright Office online search Link

Once you figure out the copyright of the book, and it clears for posting, use an online storage service. I recommend dropbox (www.dropbox.com...) but it requires you to register. If you don't want to register, use "UploadSpace" (uploadspace.pl...).

Once uploaded to either site, (Dropbox requires a shared link to be placed in a public directory which you can get a link for), you'll get a link you can share to the file. The easiest upload service is UploadSpace.

Feel free to PM (U2U) me when uploading if you need help figuring something out.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Perhaps the file is too large?

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Don't attach the PDF itself...describe it in a few lines...and only post the link back to its source...NOT the whole PDF!

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

The document is located on my computer and I cant take the risk of allowing people into my computer

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Auricom

thanks for that. re the copyright issue, I'm not in the US would that make any difference?
thanks

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Yes it would. Distributing copyrighted material internationally is still considered a crime even if the item isn't copyrighted in another country. If you U2U me (or just post the info here) the title of the book and any other information maybe we can figure something out?

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Please bear this in mind

Terms and conditions
15j.) URL Links: You will not place a link on any of the Websites that initiates an automatic download or execution of a file of any sort.

Thanks

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I see...I agree with that. And it can't be located anywhere online anymore you say?

You could let some of us ATS wizards try for you and locate it? It may be elsewhere with a different tag....???

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

By helping this member...I only implied he could perhaps locate a link to the original source to link-to....and not direct download from or to ATS.

Thanks Neformore!

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Screen-grab the relevant parts of the PDF (as png format images) , e.g.

A free program called GIMP can burst a PDF into single pages , or take screeen "capture's of it.

As for copyright, you may be legally able to post small sections of copyright-material under "fair use" legislation ... en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 30-11-2014 by Frank12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Like Frank said, you can use the fair use policy and post a snipped (typically a paragraph or less) of the book. This is considered by all intents and purposes a "preview".

But I just don't understand why you can't post the name of the actual book as well as it's ISBN or ISSN number so we can look it up. That's really all that's needed, no need to take screenshots or posts a snippet from the book.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   

This article was a Time Magazine article of 09 November 1998. I went to the edition of that date in their 'back issues" section on their website but there is only a paragraph on what the topic was about. In 1998 copyright was not the issue it is today and so but I will look at the program that was mentioned above, thanks

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: learnatic

This article was a Time Magazine article of 09 November 1998. I went to the edition of that date in their 'back issues" section on their website but there is only a paragraph on what the topic was about. In 1998 copyright was not the issue it is today and so but I will look at the program that was mentioned above, thanks

I thought you said it was 20-30 years old...

originally posted by: learnatic
I am concerned about copyright issues but the document I have is some 20-30 years old. Would that still be an issue in the US today?

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Still doesn't stop you from posting the name of the article.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I thought you said it was 20-30 years old...

Yes, I know but I was wrong. When I looked up the date on it I was surprised how recent it was.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Auricom

Still doesn't stop you from posting the name of the article.

The article was about corporate welfare and how pervasive is was becoming. It was initally extracted by threats by the big companies to start with but then it was normalised by successive administrations

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   

That's still not the articles name though!

top topics

join